PJ Novice needs some advice

Lord Essex

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have purchased an Optoma HD80 from the classifieds and as this is the first projector I have owned I was hoping that the more experience owners out there would be able to give me some advice.

1, The screen size calculator on the Optoma web site :
Optoma EMEA: Distance Calculator ,show's that I should achive a screen size of 74in Diagonal width 64in and height 36in with the projector placed 3m from the screen. Now should I buy a screen a little smaller than these measurements to ensure that the picture will fill the screen and not leave a gap between the black border and white screen. Plus I will be using the projector in a room that is not a dedicated AV room so there will be some (but not alot) ambient light, Can anyone recommended a screen that will be suitable for my needs (screen size & light conditions) for less than £100

2, The Optoma HD80 has two hdmi inputs, this is ok, One for my Blu Ray player and one for my x-box, but I would also like to connect my Freesat for when football ect is on. So I am thinking of getting a 3-1 hdmi switch this will also be off benefit as I will only need to buy one 10m hdmi lead.
Can anyone out there recommened a 3-1 switch and Is there any need to buy a more expensive hdmi cable over the normal fair due to the length that the signal needs to travel.

Has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-HDS...26AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341755170&sr=8-1

Thank you for your input

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The suggested size from the calculator should be at mid zoom so you have some leeway with the screen size as by zooming in or out you should be able to increase/decrease the image size by at least 4-6".

If your room has light coloured walls/ceilings a grey screen will be best, there is a seller called platinum on ebay that sells electric screens for around £100, they are a low budget screen so don't expect fantastic quality as a good quality screen can be from £700-£4k.

New 92" Electric Motorized HD Projection Screen Widescreen 16:9 Matt Grey | eBay

That switch will work but do you not have an a/v receiver and speakers as the normal method of connection is to connect all source components into the a/v receiver and take 1 hdmi out to the projector.

If you don't have an a/v receiver what are you doing regarding the audio side of things.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
For hdmi splitters I would recommend "neet", never had any problems with them. What are you using for sound, the pj's speaker?

I wouldn't go buying a screen without first placing the pj in position and finding out how big an image you can actually achieve.

The suggested size from the calculator should be at mid zoom so you have some leeway with the screen size as by zooming in or out you should be able to increase/decrease the image size by at least 4-6".

If your room has light coloured walls/ceilings a grey screen will be best, there is a seller called platinum on ebay that sells electric screens for around £100, they are a low budget screen so don't expect fantastic quality as a good quality screen can be from £700-£4k.

New 92" Electric Motorized HD Projection Screen Widescreen 16:9 Matt Grey | eBay

That switch will work but do you not have an a/v receiver and speakers as the normal method of connection is to connect all source components into the a/v receiver and take 1 hdmi out to the projector.

If you don't have an a/v receiver what are you doing regarding the audio side of things.

Hi Kbfern,

Thanks for your input, On the audio side of things I have a 7.1 speaker set up, The speakers are from Linn and I use them in aktive mode, these are used with an Arcam AV8 Processor with an Arcam P1000 + P85 + P80 and the Blu Ray player is a Denon 3800BD. The Arcam has no hdmi inputs so I use the 7.1 analogue output from the Denon into the Arcam. For video all my devices are connected directly to my TV via hdmi this is why I thought a 3-1 hdmi switch would be a good idea and I wanted to know if anyone had used one and could they recommend a particular brand.
Have you or do you know anyone who has used one of platinum's screens
In ref to the screen size, On the Optoma web site it told me that I will achive a 74" picture from a minimum distance of 9.94ft and a max of 11.93ft. I plan to fix the projector 10ft from the screen.

Again thanks for any help you can give

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
For hdmi splitters I would recommend "neet", never had any problems with them. What are you using for sound, the pj's speaker?

Thanks for the recommendation, I will order one of these today. As for speakers I use a full Linn 7.1 set up, The front L/R/C are all 3 way aktiv and the side+ rears are just standard.

I wouldn't go buying a screen without first placing the pj in position and finding out how big an image you can actually achieve.

Thanks un1eash,

That sounds like good advice, If you look at the attached photo's. I'm planning to fix the HD80 to the ceiling in the middle of the room where the beams start and I will place the screen again on the ceiling just in front of the TV and Hi-Fi rack.

Attachments

• Home 2.JPG
    Home 2.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Home 1.JPG
    Home 1.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 64
You have the sound well sorted then with some quality kit so no problems there then.:thumbsup:

I use a neet 1 in 2 out hdmi and can also vouch for their quality, quite a few others on here also use neet so I am sure you are safe using their products.

The Platinum screens have had mixed results with a few sending them back for replacement or refund so if you are not happy at least he is an honourable seller so it is probably worth a shot.As I said earlier screens are a bit of a minefield as cost does not guarantee a good screen untill you get well beyond £500.

Do you have the option of a fixed screen if so make your own from a sheet of mdf, paint it light grey with Dulux Matt and then attach a border made from sticky backed black velcro which comes on a roll.It will take a couple of hours with almost zero DIY skill required.

Total cost under £50 and better than any sub £300-400 screen.I did one myself 6 years ago and it is still up on the wall no ripples or edge curl and looks as good today as when I put it up.

You have the sound well sorted then with some quality kit so no problems there then.:thumbsup:

I use a neet 1 in 2 out hdmi and can also vouch for their quality, quite a few others on here also use neet so I am sure you are safe using their products.

The Platinum screens have had mixed results with a few sending them back for replacement or refund so if you are not happy at least he is an honourable seller so it is probably worth a shot.As I said earlier screens are a bit of a minefield as cost does not guarantee a good screen untill you get well beyond £500.

Do you have the option of a fixed screen if so make your own from a sheet of mdf, paint it light grey with Dulux Matt and then attach a border made from sticky backed black velcro which comes on a roll.It will take a couple of hours with almost zero DIY skill required.

Total cost under £50 and better than any sub £300-400 screen.I did one myself 6 years ago and it is still up on the wall no ripples or edge curl and looks as good today as when I put it up.

I must say that I am very happy with the audio side of things, Making the Linn's Aktiv was the icing on the cake. If anyone out there is thinking of doing this you will not regret it.

Build your own sounds good but unfortunately a fixed screen is not going to work for me.

I'm not too sure about going down the platinum route , the hassle of putting it up and then taking it down and returning it if i'm not happy is putting me off. I think I may give projector point a call in the morning and see what they can do for me.

Can anyone recommend a 10m hdmi cable, Do I need to choose a more exspensive/ higher quility cable as it will be 10m in lenght or is a standard cable fine?

Thanks for your help

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom