1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pj newbie + ntl digibox

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by chrissandgate, Nov 2, 2003.

1. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone, this is my first ever post on any forum and let me say from the off what an invaluable source of info and help this forum has been to me. I have manged to build a half decent set up to which I have just added a InFocus 4800 (used to be X1) and what a little corker it is. There are, however, a couple of problems that I hope you guys can help me with. I have my NTL Digibox connected to the pj with s-video cable, via my Yammy amp, but it ain't all that when compared to the component output of the very much underrated Yammy s540 dvd-any ideas guys? Ihave much the same set up and problem with my Xbox and would like your thoughts on this also....

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi & welcome :)

S-video doesn't compare very favourably against component, either progressive or interlaced. Best you can do is ensure you're using good quality s-video cable(s).

A device such as the Pro V might improve it slightly, as would a HCPC with s-video capture, but that's not an easy option.

Not much to be done unfortunately - be thankful you've got s-video out from your cable box - some are stuck with composite!

BTW, a hi-def kit is available for the x-box which allows for component out (even progressive AFAIK).

Best of luck :)

3. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kramer, the Digibox is connected via a scart to s-video converter, it has no s-vid of its own. As far as I know the xbox hi def kit is only compatible with modded or imported ntsc machines-unless anyone knows different.....? Has anyone any experience of a little gizmo called "SyncBlaster" which I believe contains a little amp/booster and which may improve the Digibox situation?