Pj newbie; JVC HD1; Epson TW1000; Mits HC5000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tribeless, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Tribeless

Tribeless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This post got buried on another thread, so thought I'd give it one of its own.

I'm a projector newbie, I currently own a 50" and a 42" plasma, but want to move to a dedicated theatre room, (currently bedroom), built from scratch.

I live in NZ and until this thread, was tossing up between the Mits. HC5000 and the Epson TW1000. That is now in some doubt.

Reading through the thread I suspect the JVC HD1 is the superior machine, it is certainly priced quite a bit above the Epson and Mits in NZ (and the NZ mark up for these latter two machines, over importing direct from Japan is annoying the hell out of me, and I probably would be importing, warranty issues the only thing holding me back). Sorry I digress. Bullet point questions:

I am building a projector room from ground up, so I've got to buy not only the projector, but everything else, decent home theatre sound system, DVD, Receiver, paint, lots of lovely stuff for the wife, you know how it goes, thus, money is obviously an issue. Given this, the extra I will have to spend on the JVC is going to be coming off the quality of the sound system, etc I can buy. Is the JVC superior enough to make this worth while, or will the difference between the three machines be such that as a newbie, buying my first projector, I might as well go for the Epson or Mits, to get a very good all round package?

I welcome ideas from anyone as I have no experience at all with projectors, other than my research online. My next step will be to arrange to see all three demostrated, although, in NZ this will probably be a feat in itself.

And one question for BartS. Given the JVC is priced higher than the other two machines, why only a one year parts and labour warranty? I don't mind paying extra for good gear, but the terms of the warranty is part of the package. Also, I could still be better off by about NZ$2,000 importing direct from Japan, rather than buying local, so does JVC offer an international warranty on the HD1?

(Great forum).

By the way, why do we have, across all models, these 'unjust' pricing differences between Japan and the rest of the world? In the globalised, Internet'ed world, where such information is so readily available, and I can probably get delivered as quick from Japan as from my nearest city, such 'huge' differences can only serve to anger the 'world' consumer? Don't get it.

2. Tribeless

Tribeless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh nuts, after reading Tommy's 'heavy useage' thread I'm thinking DLP.

3. Mad Monk

Mad Monk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Mate I'm in the same boat as you. Buying a projector is so much more complicated than buying a TV (and I thought that was complicated lol)

4. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi tribeless
    I've done extensive research on the two projectors on your list.The Mitsubishi is good,I was going to get one but apparantley they suffer from dust spots.The Jvc is the best.All arrows point to that projector.This is the projector that has gotten rave reviews.Home cinema choice has ticked excellent on all there tests and that is just one of the reviewers.Everyone I talked to about it says it's the best,The black level is superb.If you can afford one get one.The other projectors at that price range don't stand a chance,even some at the higher price range.

5. howieeb

howieeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The question for me is whether the jvc is worth £2000 more than a TW1000.

Either way this will be my first projector. The leap from nothing to a decent 1080p lcd should be pretty huge (tbh the AX100 would probably do the trick). Then, in a few years and with the money saved, the leap from that to something which should best the jvc in every way would be just as exciting. It's not only the money, I don't want to spunk all my 'wow factor' in one go.

You won't appreciate a Ferrari if it's your first car :)

6. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    Go with the cheapest you can find and apply the same logic. That way you can upgrade often and be constantly wowed.

Only you can define if the difference in cost is commensurate with how you define value. :)

Personally I'd prefer the Ferrari as my first car.

AVI

7. howieeb

howieeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    heh - tbh I probably would too if I had the cash.

I'm tempted to do what as you suggest, go cheap first time and always be wowed by the upgrade. The concern is spending the cash and not being wowed or happy enough with the machine for a few years.

8. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    I'd find a different hobby in that case :devil:

AVI

9. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly from reading everyone's experience with it,It's seems that it holds true from the reviews I have read.Secondly if you can afford the 2000 more than it's your best bet.But honestly it's silly on what your saying that you rather get the cheaper because you don't want to spunk all you 'wow factor' in one go.Before you buy go and have a look for your self.Just to give you an idea there are plenty of people selling there projectors for this machine all over diffrent forums thats how good it is.I was looking at the the mitsubishi but after intense research all arrows point to the JVC.Your best bet is saying I can't go 2000 more unfortunatley I can only go to my budget.I agree with you AVI give me a Ferrari as my first car and I will definetly appreciate it as most will.

10. Tribeless

Tribeless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mmm. Money is not really the problem, also, I just love watching movies, I'm not into the 'gear' per se, and don't want to have to be going through the hassle of replacing it every year. So I'm heading toward the JVC HD1

But one thing I'm finding difficult to pin down: the Mits and the Epson are both LCD technology, is the JVC, or is it a different animal altogether? Does it have durability in terms of its life (outside of the bulb)?

Thanks for replies everyone.

Just out of interest, for those of you who really know your stuff, say you could buy any projector you wanted, without consideration of cost, what would it be? That is, is there another range of projectors altogether above the ones mainly discussed on this forum?

11. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    D-ILA is a reflective technology rather than transmissive as with LCD. The panels are made of inorganic materials that should not degrade as with some early organic based technologies. The light is reflected in a similar fashion to DLP.

Your last question is difficult to answer without factoring in individual HT requirements and screen size. There are far more expensive PJ's from the likes of Sim2, Runco/Vidikron etc. The Sim2 HT5000 for example is ~£30k + lens so one would expect it to be a bit special. But at the size of a very large suitcase (45Kg!) and with massive lumens it may not be a good solution for an average size HT with a 100" screen. So my answer is the best PJ is the product that best meets your requirements and produces the best image based on your individual HT. :)

This may be of interest in general but check post #23 it sums up some of the ultra high end HT products - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=829779&page=1

AVI

12. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    I haven't seen one myself, but after reading pretty much every test published, those that know seem to converge on the Marantz VP-11S1.

Nick