1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJ mode changes from 750(720)/50p to XGA - Why??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by avinalarf, Mar 9, 2005.

1. avinalarf

avinalarf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I believe that it is mandatory to inform you that this is my first post :hiya: , so please treat me gently!!

First, a big thankyou to everyone who has posted info/opinions/advice on this and the other AV sub-forums. During the last weeks it has provided me with a lot of help and guidance to get into the world of home-cinema. Without all you out there being prepared to spend the time to share your knowledge, then I would have had a much harder time deciding what to buy and setting it all up.

Anyway, that's enough of my sentimental ramblings - here is my first question. I hope that someone can assist please.

My PJ is a Panny AE700 and as I am in the IT game, then it seemed natural to drive it from a PC of some sorts. Happened to have a Dell machine (3GHz P4, Matrox P650 dual-head video card etc) to try this out on. Just interested in getting the best PQ at this point. Sound could come later.

Installed the latest video driver, PowerDVD5 and Powerstrip. Configured Powerstrip using the settings found on a very recent thread (thanks to texass44 for the settings) which described how to get 1280x720 @ 50Hz on a AE700. The settings I used are:

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    1280x720=1280,448,40,216,720,5,5,20,74400,1

Generic timing details for 1280x720:
    HFP=448 HSW=40 HBP=216 kHz=38 VFP=5 VSW=5 VBP=20 Hz=51

Linux modeline parameters:
    "1280x720" 74.400 1280 1728 1768 1984 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync

Connected the PJ to the secondary monitor port on the video card using a DVI-HDMI cable, and left the normal monitor (1280x1024@60Hz) as the primary.

The PJ mode set itself to 750(720)/50P and the windows desktop was spread nicely across both monitors, and I thought 'GREAT - now for the big feature'.

I clicked play on PowerDVD5 and the film appeared perfectly fullscreen on the PJ. 'This is too easy'!! :thumbsup:
    But I then saw that the PJ mode had changed itself to XGA!!

When I clicking stop on PowerDVD, then the desktop reappeared and the PJ mode changed itself back to 750(720)/50P. :confused:

Tried tweaking the various PC/Powerstrip settings, and restarted both PC & PJ, but could not prevent the PJ mode changing itself to XGA.

So what is going on here?? Anyone any ideas please??

Peter

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi :hiya:

Not sure what to suggest as I have no experience with a dual-head Matrox, nor am I certain how well Powerstrip works with them. Unless someone with direct experience comes up with anything I think my first stab would be to go to single-display mode with just the projector and try to set that as you want it first.

Dual-displays are not something that Windows itself defines very well and most of the work is done by the graphics drivers and associated control panel, it may be a lmitiation of the Matrox system or something else, so get a single-display system working well and then try switching to dual-display.

If you want to stick with dual-display then one utility I know is used by many is Ultramon which is specifically designed to handle dual-head systems.

3. texass44

texass44
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GDay.....glad you found the settings usefull !!

I use PowerDVD4 and I'm pretty sure there is a setting in it to switch to specific resolutions (like 1024x768) when playing movies....not sure if PowerDVD5 has this facility but if it does....double check and make sure it says " Use desktop resolution" or something to that effect.

I only have my projector connected to the HTPC, I don't use the other "head" on the video card....I found the PC (or me) was getting very confused by it all so I only connect a monitor when I stuff something up and get the blue screen on the panny.

Tex.

4. avinalarf

avinalarf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Robin & Tex,

Thanks for your comments. I searched the Matrox support forum and discovered that DVDMax (a builtin feature of the Matrox driver software which provides full-screen video on the second monitor) is permanently set at 1024x768, therefore forcing the automatic switching of the PJ to XGA!!

As I mentioned in my original post, I am in the IT game, and this fiddling about with settings etc to get a HTPC working was all starting to look a bit too much like 'work'. Was in 2 minds anyway whether to build a HTPC or go the dedicated DVD-player route, and I have decided to explore the DVD-player route - either with a Pioneer 868 or a Denon 3910 - I think that the Pioneer is slightly ahead at the moment. Planning to demo both during the next week or so. I'll let you know how I get on.

Peter.

5. texass44

texass44
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Peter....yeah...I know how you feel. HTPC's can take up a LOT of time.....I'm new to all this and am really wondering if it's all worth it. Picture from the PC is very very good.......but I think I'll audition an "upscaling" player like the momitsu or panny S97 or something similar. I really don't have the time to muck around with a HTPC......then again I'll probably just tinker from time to time and see what happens.

Good Luck.......Tex.