PJ hook-up...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by tryingtimes, Nov 2, 2006.

1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Those of us with projectors will need to be able to site the Wii at the back of the room and have the sensor bar at the front.
    Has anyone heard if there's an extension cable around? Or if the connector is something standard? (I doubt it).
    I'll need this from day one, as I don't have another telly in the house.

I guess a quick fix would be to put the Wii under the screen and run the Network/Component/Audio cables to the back of the room but this is expensive and messy.

Cheers
    tt

2. mgirg

mgirg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    there was an article on ign about this and apparently pelican are producing an extension cable for the us - it is on the EB at http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=802573

although it says that is the remote extension cable i am pretty sure it is the sensor bar one. not sure if it will be available in the uk, but you can order it from eb or other us games shops

3. hughesy

hughesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Other option is to get a long component cable (or what ever u plan on hooking it up with) and put the wii at the front of the room...

4. Alistair_M

Alistair_M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Why do we need to do this? Sorry don't follow. I've got a 100" projector screen.

5. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It depends on how far away from your projector screen your Wii is. The sensor has to be connected to the Wii and placed neer your display whether it be a projector screen or a normal TV. If the display and the Wii are not near each other then you may need an extension cable.

6. Yak

Yak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does anybody know if the sensor will work if its behind the projector screen? I read somewhere that pointing the remote directly at the sensor equates to the 'middle' of the screen. You probably wouldn't notice the offset on a TV but it could be very obvious on a projector. I was therefore hoping to put the sensor behind and centre of the screen (if that makes sense?).

Cheers,

Mike

7. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I assume there'll be a "point top left of screen - point bottom right" calibration process which should make that moot

8. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    I was just thinking that, that's the setup I currently use anyway with the Cube & the 360, they're under the TV with the screen above that, I just join them to my 15m component cable hooked to the PJ.

9. hpoom

hpoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yep I want to know it the sensor bar will work it placed behind my LCD TV. I want to hide the sensor bar, not have it on display. If not, no worries I will just have to put it on top of my center speaker

10. steggy

steggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The remote needs to actually be in view of the sensor bar, it uses IR signals too pinpoint where it's pointing.

I don't think there are any top left bottom right type calibrations, I just think it askes where the centre of the tv is on start up.

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Are you sure it's IR? It looks like IR (the transparent black faceplate), but you can have the controller behind your back and it still knows where it is afaik. - Also they mentioned the fluorescent light and sunlight interference - do these effect IR?

12. steggy

steggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Yes IR is effected by sunlight, have you ever noticed your tv remotes don't tend to work quite so well when the sun is streaming in against the tv.

The games that us the accelermatrix thingymabobs don't use the sensor bar, this is why wii baseball still knows where you've moved the remote.

13. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    so there's 2 techs going on - acceleramatrons and a pointer - and the pointer only works when pointing within say 30 degrees of the sensor bar?
    But I thought Wii was much cleverer than that in that it knew how far from the screen it was - or is that just people making assumptions, when really it's just the acceleratamabobs?

14. addyb

addyb
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,284
    I should be ok. I have a 100" screen and my avrack just sits underneath and to the right of my screen in the corner. My wii will sit about 3 ft away from the bottom of the screen and my sensor bar will sit on top of my centre speaker in the middle of the room.. again about 3ft away. Only thing i need to buy is another big component cable lead so i can route that round my room to the back of my PJ!

15. RMGEE

RMGEE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
  16. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I've put a call in to my indy game shop - they're talking to Nintendo UK this morning about the component cable, the sensor extension and the LAN adapter.
    The initial purchase is going to be quite pricey!

17. steggy

steggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I think there are 3 techs going on, the pointer, the accelerator thingys, and tilt motion sensors. It uses all three of these to figure how the remote has been moved. The nunchuck has just the accelerators and motion sensor.

Aparantly these are all very sensitive and responsive, I think in red steel for instance to zoom in you move the remote closer to the screen.

18. Kamakazie

Kamakazie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    That is correct. There are solid state gyroscopes and accelerometers. These are used for the tilting, motion sensing and gesture recognition.

The sensor bar is used for the on screen pointer, for FPS's and games like Zelda when using the bow. A lot of the games won't use the pointer but many will.
    The pointer works like this:
    On the "Sensor bar" has 4 or something IR LED's along it. The Wiimote, when pointed at these, calculates where they are in respect to each other. using triangulation techniques it can work out where it is pointing and also where about in space it is. How far away, to the left or right etc. of the screen). If the Sensor bar goes out of sigh, the Wii can use the accelerometers and gyroscopes together for a while to "predict" where the remote is and is pointing. This is much less accurate and so should only be used for small amounts of time. once the sensor bar comes back in to sight it will correct itself.

That is what i have picked up so far anyway.

19. scharf_10

scharf_10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    You are all saying that the Wii uses IR to detect signals, while i just read on the official Nintendo website that it uses Bluetooth. I'm probably totally wrong here, but i thought IR and bluetooth were completely different things :

"Using Bluetooth technology, the wireless Wii Remote controller sends your actions to the Wii console from as far as 30 feet away. As a pointing device, the controller can send a signal from as far as 15 feet away. Up to four Wii Remote Controllers can be connected at once, making for some great multiplayer fun!"

Am i right, or just completely and utterly wrong :)

20. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Bluetooth is used to send the signals from the WiiRemote - ie the buttons accelerometers etc. The IR is used for the pointing functions , when you need a more precise level of movement detection.

21. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
  22. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    hmmm - surely this news (if true) distroys all those theories of it being just LEDs?
    Why would you need wireless to do that? + if it was just 8 flashing LEDs, wouldn't a couple of batteries run it for about 300 hours?

Reading the "Iwata Asks" interviews it was clear that they were really concious of the downsides of the sensor bar - surely making it battery or wireless would have been top of the list if it was possible.

23. aridehal

aridehal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know how long the cable on the standard sensor bar is? Also the standard component cable?

24. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    10 foot for the bar - don't know about the component, but it looks like a standard 1-1.5m from the photos.

25. aridehal

aridehal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I wasn't sure that 10ft was an official figure, or somebody's best guess. I heard 6 to 10ft being banded around a while ago. Time will tell! Thanks. ps 10' should just about cover it for me, will ahev to look for some component extension cables though!

26. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It is 10 feet for the sensor bar cable.

27. mh8701

mh8701
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just not long enough for me. my rooms around 16 foot and my wii will be 5 foot in the air. im gonna have to wait for the wireless one me thinks

28. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    I'm just going to wait until it launches in the US and see how the guys on AVS get around the problem - they'll either find a cheap extension cable, or find out that it's just 2 or 4 wires and extend it themselves.
    Or it'll just be power and they'll find a way to attach a power adapter instead.
    Here's hoping :)

29. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    The sensor bar doesn't need to be hidden, it's tiny, only about 7 inches long and an inch high, you won't even notice it - does need to be on the centre of the screen though.

30. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    We're not trying to hide it - we're trying to make it reach our screens - which are miles away from our video inputs and equipment racks.