1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJ Help PLS

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jasonx32, Oct 15, 2004.

1. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right
    Probably a stupid question but I don't know the answer :suicide:

I've a sanyo projector which has a dvi input on it as well as standard vga/component/s-vid and composite inputs.

Can I use one of the new dvd players which has dvi out to send a signal to it?
    If so which is the best reasonably priced player to go for?

ta.

jase :thumbsup:

2. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only answer the first question but the answer is yes, you can use DVI to connect a DVD player to your projector.

3. thewul

thewul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    yes you can but the chances are the sanyo will be dvi-d so make sure you get the correct lead.

denon are bringing out a new machine at about £230 dvd-1910 i think. looks good :)

4. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info
    the dvi port on my pj says dvi-i not dvi-d, will this make a difference?
    any link to the new denon player

ta

jase

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    DVI-I means the connector has the analogue VGA signals built into it, whereas DVI-D does not (the analogue signals are put in to give a certain amount of backwards comaptibilty - eg practically all computer video cards have a DVI-I connector, so you can use the connector, with a cheap DVI-VGA converter, to drive a standard analogue VGA monitor)

You don't mention which model your PJ is - make sure that the DVI interface supports HDCP (most on PJs do, but apparently there are a few older models which don't).

Samsung do a pair of reasonably priced DVD players with said output, the 745 and 945 - no idea how good they are though (they are around £120 and £160)

6. postbag

postbag
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of going for a Samsung HD945 myself to go with a Sreenplay 4805 i'm about to buy. Does anyone have any experience of this player?

7. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MikeK
    the pj's a sanyo plc se15
    had a look in the manual and there is nothing in there about the dvi-i being hdcp compatible.
    if it is compatible will one of the new denon's work as that is probably the player i'm looking at now

8. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I'm no expert here, but as I understand it, no it won't work.
    If your PJ doesn't say it's HDCP compliant, there's a high probability that it isn't, and if it isn't you won't even get a picture from the Denon via DVI (HDMI)

Your PJ is SVGA 800x600 (800x450 for 16:9 widescreen material) - it can't display native 720p (1280x720) material anyway, it has to rescale (ie downscale) it to fit the display panel. There's not a great deal of advantage to be gained from first upscaling in a DVD player, only to downscale it again in the PJ.
    No matter what resolution signal you feed into your PJ, it's physically incapable of displaying 16:9 widescreen material in anything higher than 800x450 resolution.
    So, even with HDCP issues aside for a moment, it'd come down to a straight comparison of downscaled DVD via analogue component vs downscaled DVD via DVI - only seeing that for yourself will you be able to make a judgement as to whether it's worth the cost to upgrade (and ideally, you'd need to be able to set the DVI output resolution on the player to 800x450, to avoid scaling again in the PJ - not sure if that's an option or not, but it seems the Denon only does either 720p or 1080i scaling - so you may end up having to get the PJ to do the scaling anyway)

Still, the Denon DVD player could still be used today, using component video connectors in normal DVD mode - at least it'd be future-proof (as far as anything is that anyway). If you need a new player now, you'd have HD capability for any poss future PJ upgrade - however, at the moment you are paying a price premium for these players - in a year's time they may well be cheaper and better, so if you don't actually need a new player now, I'd still wait if I were you.

A HTPC could be a way round the problem for you, if you want an all digital connection from disc to screen - but to be honest it's a judgement call as to whether the end result would warrant the expense - personally I don't think it would, but others might take a different view on this (and it would depend on which DVD player you are currently using).

9. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for clearing that one up MikeK. You certainly know more about it than I do.

I'll hold off tor the time being I think as amp and speakers are paramount at the moment.
    I'm currently using a m/r'd Panasonic dvd-s75 with the component out going direct to the pj