1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pj for use as a TV, which one is best?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Taz69, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi all, I am looking at using a pj as my TV, which one is more suitable, I have a AE100, looking at either a 500 or 700, which one is going to give me results as a T.V in use each day, all hours, does anyone else use one as this?

Does it have to be pitch black, I can see my AE100 fairly well with the lights on, but its not outstanding, lights off its the business, or is this the case with all PJ's

Cheers

Taz

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    A grey screen such as the Stewart Firehawk will help combat ambient light better than most screens out there, though a high gain screen can also help to a degree, but be aware of hotspotting issues the higher gain you go.

You'll probably need something quite bright for daytime viewing, so a higher lumen pj will obviously be better than a lower gain one. Any ambient light will affect all front projectors to one degree or another, so a dark room is a must idealy.

Sim2 products also offer longer lamp life (the new 300e is quite bright too), and as normal tv viewing will mean more lamp changes, you mighty want to figure that extra cost into equation.

Gary.

3. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi m8, I am not really bothered about lamp costs as this works out to about £60 a year based on running a 5000hr bulb for evening viewing about 5 days aweek other times the tv will be in use as most of the family is out etc, thats for a £250 lamp, I see the HS50 has a contrast of 6000:1 which must be very black, but the lamp lasts around 2000hrs, and I cant find prices on em, lol

Cheers

Taz