1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJ convergence problem?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mikeaitch, Apr 3, 2004.

1. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I recently upgraded to the HS20

Great pj, like the pic a lot, no screendoor, great colurs etc BUT....

The colours aren't properly converged:eek:

When I put the focus grid on, the white crosses are fringed with colour. The effect is exactly like on rear projection tvs before you do the convergence adjustments.

Is there some way of correcting this via menu or service menu?

Should I have to do this?

I bought it 'ex demo' from Sound and Vision, should they be responsible.?

This MUST be affecting the picture, has anyone else seen this effect? :(

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very common on the HS20 (try a search here). Usually only 1 pixel of "misalignment" & not visible from seating distance.

Nothing can be done to correct this but it shouldn't be a concern.

:smoke:

3. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Thanks Kramer

Just checking! I'm probably going to get a Lumagen Vision DVI processor to go with it, and I'll still only have spent £2.5 k :D

Will it be worth it, in your opinion? I don't want to go the HTPC route, so will this bring big improvements if I can scale to native res compared to my little Samsung.?

I also still have the filter supplied with the HS1- Any point in using it for the HS20?

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will the Lugamen output 1366x768 @ 56Hz via DVI? If it doesn't, your PJ will be rescaling & that would defeat using an outboard scaler.

OK, the HS10/20 will accept other resolutions (1280x720 etc.) but you'll not be using the full panel res then :(

The HS10/20 have far better deinterlacing & scaling than the likes of the Z2 & AE500 etc. so you may be getting good enough results already with your Samsung. Outputting 720p via DVI will allow the HS20 to scale that to its native resolution.

You'd really need to demo (better again, a home trial) the Lugamen & compare it to your DVI equipped player. Of course the Lugamen will also deinterlace/scale other sources so that may be a consideration for you.

500 isn't an insignificant amount & you'd certainly want a marked improvement after such an investment. I know I would ;)

Filter - not so necessary on the HS20 with the iris & improved CR etc. but certainly worth a try. Down to personal taste/choice at this stage.

Best of luck.

:smoke: