Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PJ - Composite video or Component Video connection?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NickHK168, Jan 12, 2005.

1. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I just got a Panny AE700.
    The connection to the source (DVD, TV, etc.) will be through a cabling of 15mt+, around the room.
    A friend said that S-Video gets noisy through cables longer than 10mt.
    I am currently using a Composite (Yellow) Video cable.
    However, I was wondering if the picture quality would increase by connecting the PJ to the source through a dedicated Component (YUV) Video cable long 15mt+.
    Thank you in advance,
    Cheers,
    Nick

2. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Definately! Composite is the worst connection you can use.

3. NickHK168

NickHK168

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to use the RCA Composite cable (with Red, White and Yellow jacks) to connect between the In & OUT Component (YUV) connectors of the PJ (Panasonic AE700) and the source (Philips HDRW720)?
    Or do I need to buy the appropriate Component (YUV) cable?
    Tks in advance,
    Nick

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    The Red/White/Yellow cable you mention is almost certainly not 75 ohm coax and will give very poor results over a 15 metre length.

I would strongly recommend buying a proper component video cable.

Check out the classified adverts on this forum - there are frequently people selling good quality component video cables.

Steve

5. markbingo

markbingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Dont use composite ever, if you can possibly avoid it. It is quite bad.

My Panny is connected to my DVD via Componant, and my sky+ box via s-video. Both of these run for 15 meters, and there is no probem.

Your other choice is to connect everything to an AV box, and use DVI or Componant to move all the sources to your PJ.

6. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its all very well saying don't use composit, but I for one, have limited choice. Just bought my pj and discover that it is the only componant enabed device I got:(

Sky, DVD both just have scart outputs so I don't see any other possibility:(:(:(:(

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,088
    Composite is rarely the only choice. It is - however - always the *worse* choice!

What projector have you got? - I'm sure we can help you connect it all up properly.

Steve

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not cheap but this is what you need if you don't mind forking out, converts SCART RGB to Component, they also do a cheaper one converting to S-Video which I use for an NTL STB.

9. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Svideo is much better than composite (though still not in the same league as component) and virtualy all DVD players support that.

10. ismangil

ismangil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree with this. Connecting my Telewest cable digibox via composite to the PJ gives an almost unwatchable image due to cross hatching, wavy lines etc. So I decided to invest in an RGB Scart to S-Video converter, and used a 10m Hama S-Video cable, and the image immediately cleared up... well, the big channels anyway, channels like TMF or Hallmark uses low bitrate so PJ only blows up the blocky compression...

If you can't afford the £75 top-of-the-line JS converter, Keene has a £60 one and Lektropack has a £50 one, and finally the cheapest Shinybow at £28.

11. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've got a toshiba mt200:)

12. babyG

babyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Now through my composit lead for £3.42, my dvd picture is almost perfect and a lot of Sky digibox is too --- there is no noise, just blocking similar to the old vcds when they came out (on sky). Could this be down to the mt200s excellent processing??? I know my eyes are good cos I had an eye test last nite:). I did switch the digibox from PAL to RGB in the settings menu.

Also, I have 2 Samsung DVDs, one has s-video out (on a rear projection 43" portable:))and the one for the pj doesn't (all-in-one 'which' best buy)

It looks like the rgb to componant or s-video could be my answer, but are't Sky going to use DVI next year -- I don't want to fork out £150 if this is the case????

13. ismangil

ismangil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, if you're happy with the quality, why bother?

We've just finished our budget home cinema, and quite happy with it, and I'm sure there are a lot of things people can suggest to improve it (like not using 7p/meter speaker cable or Infocus X1 or cheapest drh screen or whatever) -- with additional cost of course!

14. Cheddies

Cheddies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. pokkara

pokkara

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those who have absolutely no choice but using composite, I would advice to get at least a shielded cable to minimize interferences...

Being new to VP (1 week!), I have to admit that it's so amazing to watch DVDs on a big screen, that at first you don't pay attention to quality... As time goes by, I assume your eyes get more and more... demanding. Right now, I am in love my Sanyo Z3-svideo system (soon to be upgraded to RGB cable).

Cheers.