1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJ 'Arvey

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Gambit, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot how good stories from the city, stories from the sea was so picked up a cheap copy this weekend- inspired stuff, especially A Place Called Home (which I love). Any one got any of PJ's other stuff? I've heard a few live tracks off MTV2, but wasn't too impressed...

2. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have "is this desire?" on cd and it`s an excellent album. i think it was her last album before the new one even though it`s about 4 or 5 years old.
    she a very interesting artist. very little commercial content to the cd, but great stuff all the same:smashin:

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    If you like SFTCSFTS, you should check out this CD : This is the first CD I got of Polly Jane H (I had just seen her perform stuff from this album on Jools Holland) a 10/10 effort IMHO :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...91044/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/026-2711006-4546019

As mentioned by Adox "Is this Desire" is also a great album also, not up to the same standards as Bring you my Love or SFTCSFTS, but worth the price alone for the first track on the album “Angelene”, I also once borrowed a PJH & John Parrish collaboration album from my local library it was quite poor. The 3 albums above are where I would look at. Ie

1. SFTCSFTS (10/10)
    2. Bring You My Love (10/10)
    3. Is This Desire (6/10)

Other info, I have been lucky to catch her live once, she was support for U2 on the Zooropa tour and damn fine she was too. Darker than a stormy day in Texas IMHO. Good point about here commerciality Adox, when I saw here live she performed the show in stacked heels that were covered in gold coins, so it looked like she was standing atop a pile of gold (her pop at the females of the day who would do anything for riches) a consistant performer & musician.

BTW If you dudes are big PJH fans you may wish to check out a girl called Eleni Mandell a friend recently sent me a CDR with her 2 albums on it and she sounds more like PJ Harvey than PJH herself.
    Later dudes.

4. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    As CJROSS says, To Bring You My Love is (I think) her best album after Stories From The City... and probably what you should check out next.

The debut album Dry is also a bit of a stormer -- it has the single Sheela na gig on it which kind of broke her all those years ago.

Rid Of Me was her second album. Great reviews on release ; it's good but not one of my favourites. A heavy sound, almost Led-Zep like in places.

-- Barry

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    stories.............great album, not commercial, even better still. She just gets up and sings for herself, everybody else is second.........go on Polly:cool: