Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PJ and Prog Scan query

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PJnewbie, Jan 6, 2004.

1. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have an InFocus SP 5700 PJ and have a question regarding progressive scan.

I currently have an oldish (non prog scan) Sony DVD player (S735D?) and connect it to the PJ via component cables.

Would I benefit from buying a Prog Scan DVD player? And if so, does it need to support PAL Prog Scan and NTSC Prog Scan, for optimum visual output on R2 and R1 discs? I have mostly R2 PAL discs but am buying an increasing number of R1 from the States.

I am aware that the 5700 PJ has a decent onboard scaler, but would Prog Scan improve things yet more?

So basically, if I watch mainly R2 but also R1 DVDs, would I benefit from upgrading to a Prog Scan DVD player, and if so, presumably PAL Prog Scan is most important?

Please advise.

Many thanks guys!

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I was using the Sony 735 with my Panny 300 which looked good. However, bought the progressive enabled Sony 730 for just £130.00 last week and I am really pleased with the picture improvement.

It boils down to if the deinterlacer within the PJ is better than the one within the DVD deck and vice versa.

In this instance the progressive image via the DVD deck looks loads smoother and has ironed out some of the flaws that I had noted beforehand.

Therefore, have to say I am pleased, and it has made me wonder what sort of PQ the arcam 88 and the Denon 2900 may offer.

Cap:)

3. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi PJnewbie
    Your 5700 has Faroudja DCDI internal de-interlacing so I would say stuck with that.
    Just send an interlaced signal from your dvd player
    You are already watching movies in prog scan Pal & Ntsc

:)

4. Hicks

Hicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also using Sony 730 and Z2 and the picture is much better than using the Z2's internal scaler