1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PJ advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hitz, Jul 2, 2002.

1. hitz

hitz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking of getting a PJ for home cinema use - but have a few questions.

Are PJ any good as a replacement for TVs - ie how do they perform with SKY digital. - i.e during the day or must you have low levels of light always to watch.
    I would like to get the maximum size projection size possible from a distance of around 12' - what sort of size would be possible.
    Lamp life - What happens when lamp is dead ? how much are replacements ?
    Dead pixels ? is this likely to happen over time / wear and tear etc ?
    Needs to be around £2000.
    how do PJ compare to plasma's ?
    any help would be greatly appreaciated.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Are PJ any good as a replacement for TVs

Not exactly. They don't have tuners. Many don't have any sound system and those that do are pretty pointless. So you need an external tuner (set top box or VCR for example) and an external sound system.

- ie how do they perform with SKY digital.

I use Terrestrial Digital and find mine OK - but not great. The larger the image, the more visible are any flaws in it, and all systems have some flaws. For example, pixellation in digital TV is more visible.

- i.e during the day or must you have low levels of light always to watch.

In order to reflect the light in bright parts of the image properly, the screen needs to be light or white in colour. Projectors can't project "black" - they can only project no, or nearly no, light. So the dark parts of the picture can only be as dark as the screen is. If the screen is illuminated with ambient light it isn't very dark. So, neither is your black. All of which is a long way of saying, whilst you can use a PJ in daylight, it won't be very good. Take a look at the colour of a TV screen when switched off. Usually a dark khaki. This is "black". Take a look at a white screen when the PJ is switched off to see what colour black will be.

I would like to get the maximum size projection size possible from a distance of around 12' - what sort of size would be possible.

My Sony VW10 produces an image about 8 feet wide at this distance. Other PJs have different focal lengths; the sony is shorter than most (ie a larger image for a given distance).

Lamp life - What happens when lamp is dead ?

The PJ stops working! Lamps are not used in CRT projectors; they use CRTs instead. They have a longer life than LCD and DLP projector lamps. Lamp life varies. Sony quote 2000 hours; some others go up to 6000 I think.

how much are replacements ?

Varies by projector. Sony's are about £400.

Dead pixels ? is this likely to happen over time / wear and tear etc ?

Only a factor on LCD projectors. They very rarely fail during use. They may be failed from new. So check your actual PJ out before you pay for it. Get a good one and in all likelihood it will stay good.

Needs to be around £2000.

There are LCD PJs available for this amount, and less.

how do PJ compare to plasma's ?

They don't. They produce a much larger image often for less money. But really, you can't do a comparison; they are too different.

If you trawl through this board you will find a number of posts about different projector technologies, the pros and cons of each etc. One word of advice: DON'T use anyone else's opionon about which technology is best. Everybody has different priorities, different visual acuity, different needs. Use the information you find to discover what to look for, get demonstrations, and then CHOOSE FOR YOURSELF.

3. Feersum enjinn

Feersum enjinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new here and only know what i have been reading over the last week. But i will tell you what I do know.

I purchased a Panasonic PTAE100 projector. I have read many reviews, stores have told me, and many on this board agree that for the price this is the best pj for home use.
    Online price you can expect to pay £1300 upto £1372 incl VAT, the advert at the top of the forum are selling at £1215 incl VAT which is a super price and they give a pixel check too but you will have to wait a few weeks to receive it. In a high Street shop the average store sells for £1500 incl VAT.

I have found with my projector that during the day the picture is okay and definitely watchable, but of course nowhere near as good as in a dark room. My room is not too bright anyway, and i dont have sun shining on my screen so its not too bad. If the room was very bright then you may have problems. I have a dimmer switch on my light which helps get the perfect balance. I still have a small 20 inch tv for quick use tucked to one side though.

Dead pixels i dont know about - but if you get them checked before purchase that woudl be good.

I would love a plasma - but they are expensive, i am personally not too fussy about a 'perfect' picture as long as its decent, and a plasma screen will be smaller than than a picture from a pj of course. Thats just my caveman opinion.

Lamps go dead depending on the pj, perhaps every 2000 hours of use. The panasonic has one of the most lengthy lamp lives which is 5000 hours of use on low light mode. When the lamps die you need to buy another one. Prices are between £200 and £400 i think depending on make and model. The Panasonic i 'think' is £200 for a new bulb.

The Panasonic has a short throw distance, which gives big screen vs short distance. As an example I get a screen 8 foot width x 4 foot height from a distance of 9-10 feet away. From 12 foot you would get bigger (with this particular projector). There is somewhere a 'distance vs screen size' calculator where you put in the pj model and distance and it gives you the screen size.

Hoep thats of at least some help - i just posted incase no one else does and you have something to read :) good luck

edit - oop other guy beat me to the reply - i keep mine heer anyway, but he has more details.