Pizza Oven thread

As a former Ooni and current Roccbox owner I would say the Roccbox wins hands down for engineering quality.
The downside with the Roccbox is the wood burner, I have the second generation of this and find it frustrating to use due to the pathetic fuel capacity and size requirements. That said the oven does cook an excellent pizza when using gas.
As for the turning peel it's a matter of choice and cost. I have a non-branded peel from Amazon which suits me fine.

Roccbox here to, not used the wood burner but sure the newer one is larger. I now have wood to burn for fire pit so may try the wood burner soon if weather pics up!
Roccbox is well made solid and heavy!
Got a new bread maker to now be easier to use to make own dough quicker to well im hoping!

Well I got the bread maker out of the garage but it's rusted to hell.. But I found a stand mixer that was boxed up and brand new from many Christmases ago unused!

I'm gonna make a batch and used those containers @NorvernRob suggested a few posts back which I ordered.
What's the correct procedure in balling up and storage ?
Do I leave the whole mixture to rise before shaping and freezing ?

Well I got the bread maker out of the garage but it's rusted to hell.. But I found a stand mixer that was boxed up and brand new from many Christmases ago unused!

I'm gonna make a batch and used those containers @NorvernRob suggested a few posts back which I ordered.
What's the correct procedure in balling up and storage ?
Do I leave the whole mixture to rise before shaping and freezing ?
oh no! lucky find there then, amazing what one finds in garage!

Thanks for re-posting this will get some to look ideal, following this for freezing procedure.
As for us think will have to make up a batch and freeze and take out night before or morning as weather is so unpredictable here.
Plan in future is to have an under cover area for BBQ and pizza oven one day.

oh no! lucky find there then, amazing what one finds in garage!

Thanks for re-posting this will get some to look ideal, following this for freezing procedure.
As for us think will have to make up a batch and freeze and take out night before or morning as weather is so unpredictable here.
Plan in future is to have an under cover area for BBQ and pizza oven one day.
I’m currently building just a place lol. Have the 2 Kamado joes and a gas bbq but mainly getting it ready for the upcoming dome. Can’t wait. Give me a follow on ig as bbqmaddad :)
26EC49CD-305E-46D9-8987-5174C1B9100F.jpeg
5FB3F942-2B07-4117-965C-65F7CCA71F85.jpeg
EC1F6823-AB39-4223-B0B8-17DE273FF014.jpeg

I’m currently building just a place lol. Have the 2 Kamado joes and a gas bbq but mainly getting it ready for the upcoming dome. Can’t wait. Give me a follow on ig as bbqmaddad :)View attachment 1538292View attachment 1538294View attachment 1538293
Wow bit space, our garden is quite small and taken up by trampoline at the mo lol, though now we have artificial grass are thinking of getting rid of the shed and doing a shelter as this at end of garden.
is it going to fall away from garage/house? what you plan to use for roof covering?
That dome oven looks amazing! and see they have stopped orders for now to.

I feel for UK weather and to use a lot of these out door things more one needs a shelter!

Yea it does have a run off for the water so that’s all good. In regards to the roof I’m not 100% sure atm unfortunately. Still thinking about it lol

God that looks delish

I'm going to try Vito's recipe here

Just made the poolish, now resting in the fridge for 24h. Not sure if my stand mixer is going to take all the mixture... :facepalm:

So I kept the poolish in the fridge for around 36 hours rather than the 16-24 suggested by Vito due to being too busy yesterday. But it looked great. Continued with the recipe and combined the ingredients in the stand mixer. But it wasn't coming together into one lump of dough
20210712_133550.jpg

So I put a couple of teaspoons of flour to see if it would help, going off recipe and lowering the hydration, which helped a little but still not one combining fully. Turns out. I just needed to trust the process. I let it sit for about 15 minutes. Added some olive oil over the dough and onto my hands, removed it from the bowl. And it came together really nicely!
20210712_135446.jpg

Beats anything I had done by hand in the past. Now in the fridge for another day. So excited for tomorrow 😁

Last edited:
Got Roccbox out today, been really slack using it. This time made dough in new bread maker yesterday. A 45min program, that allows it to rest, I think I should of taken it out as soon as kneaded then chilled. As planned to use today.
It kept rising in pots in fridge loads, After letting it get room temp it was hard to stretch almost to elastic, is this typical? And I'm just not Good at stretching it? Seems no matter what do it retracts back.
Any advice on what did wrong?
Pizzas were nice just v thick and thick crust!

We had another round of pizza on Friday.
Kids pizza and then no more photos as I was busy cooking:

20210716_172754.jpg

When someone posts a pic again can they show the bottom of their creations?

Still struggling with my electric pizza oven, top looks fine but the bottom is just too black for my liking. Dont mind the odd mark but makes the thing taste burnt!

What cheese do you use? (In fact, what recipe please? :rotfl:) Cheers

Dough was a mixture based on PizzApp. 60% hydration, 4 hours room prove, 18 fridge
Cheese was some supermarket pre-grated mozzarella, Tesco or Aldi maybe.

Got a ball of mozzarella to pre-slice and dry out for my next batch :)

When someone posts a pic again can they show the bottom of their creations?

Still struggling with my electric pizza oven, top looks fine but the bottom is just too black for my liking. Dont mind the odd mark but makes the thing taste burnt!
Which electric pizza oven so you have?
Is it one of the Effeuno ovens?

Which electric pizza oven so you have?
Is it one of the Effeuno ovens?
Its one I bought from Amazon Italy as below, have tried using parchment paper on the base to prevent burning but still cant quite get it right and base is always either slightly too black or a bit undercooked if I take out earlier!

61vu+r+NssL._AC_SL1243_.jpg

Its one I bought from Amazon Italy as below, have tried using parchment paper on the base to prevent burning but still cant quite get it right and base is always either slightly too black or a bit undercooked if I take out earlier!

View attachment 1544944
I've owned one of these for years, you need a pizza tray or a metal pizza peel, I always now cook my pizzas in a pan, and to crisp the base I just open the top and give it as long as I feel I need to, oil the pan before use other wise the pizza will stick then it's just a case of lifting and checking the base, you will also find that because you use the pan you gets spot on 11 3/4 inch perfect round pizza every time, of course you loose that rustic Italian rough style to the pizza but it depends what your trying to achieve, I've also nmodded the thermostat on mine so the top ring stays on always andthat inturn increase the cooking heat, I also changed the top element, if there's anything you want to ask feel free, I've been cooking pizzas now with this for 5 years and tried just about everything possible with the oven, well reason.lol.

That's really useful - thanks. And a relief as was thinking I had wasted my money to some extent!

So you actually put the pizza on a metal pizza tray an then put that in the pizza oven? So that would mean the lid will not shut fully, but guess doesn't matter too much and if it stops the base burning then all the better. Also solves my issues transferring the pizza to the oven which is a nightmare sometimes.

Do you have a link to a suitable tray/peel? I have a peel at the moment but its solid metal and would think it would need holes in for the base to cook properly?

Using this method do you always have the temp at full?

View attachment 1544944
I have an Effeuno and it has separate temperature controls for top and bottom.
Does that have similar?
How does it work, I assume it has an element in the lid and you pre-heat it to heat up the stone on the bottom, or does it have a heating element top and bottom

I only have one temp control for top and bottom unfortunately, it has element at the top and also the bottom under the stone

Not sure how you deal with no control of the base temperature, you must have to find the sweet spot for the temperature setting so you don't burn the base.

Maybe you have to start it at a low temperature then when you shut the lid turn it up so that stone is not hotter than the lid when you start.

Are there no clues in the instructions or videos on YouTube?
I only have one temp control for top and bottom unfortunately, it has element at the top and also the bottom under the stone

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom