Pizza Oven thread

This is the one I am getting and if you look at their base its also on a single course (albeit not as tall as mine).

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for your time so far guys.
The reasons its as high as it is was due to me wanting it to me roughly elbow height.
This is so I don't have to bend down whilst using it.
The bricks are staggered, but only by 4" as they over-lap with the rear to all connect together.

There is no chance of it being hit with a barrow (I don't have one).
How about if I make the outer walls double skinned and put a cross piece in midway (still leaving space for wood) joining all 3 walls together.

The top paving wont have that much pressure on itself as such as the pressure would be on the 3 (4 including the rear) down sections. I could even get away without a top as the oven itself would create one.

If me I would double skin and add an angled retaining wall either side in the middle to stop in going into wobble mode.

brick2.jpg

brick2.jpg

Being perfectly honest my concern would laying them on edge like that. If no lateral force is applied on the pizza oven you should be ok. Just don't let anyone lean on it! The benefit of bricks instead of blocks is getting the suction of the "frog" on top of the brick when laid as in supplier photo with a standard stretcher bond making that structure much stronger. It also has a very substantial single slab as the platform so the load is being spread evenly (looks like that comes as part of the oven?).

Having said all that, in this position I would still take a chance, when the oven is installed you'll still be able to reinforce if needed.

I'm not a builder myself but come from a family of builders, to my eyes it would look a helluva lot more likely to stand the test of time if you removed the top course? Especially if you're putting a heavy load on top.

I'm not being mean here, but I'm fairly sure if my brother came round my house and saw that in the back garden he'd knock it down while I was making him a coffee and call me a ********.

If that was a dry build (no mortar) you could kick it over without any real effort? - that to me would suggest it needs a major rethink.

I sent your photo to a customer of mine, a housebuilder.

His response 'I think it will bear the load, in a vertical plane, but I would be seriously worried about lateral stability. It needs stiffening up a lot - I would fill in the front so that it creates a full box'.

Had a quick chat with him after his reply and he said change the 'M' profile (viewed from above) to an 'A' profile and you should be fine.

hope that helps :)

If that was a dry build (no mortar) you could kick it over without any real effort? - that to me would suggest it needs a major rethink.

Surely you could kick most dray walls over without much effort unless double (or more) skinned.

I think I will support the inside and double skin the outer walls to give it more side stability.

I mean kicking a wall over is easy, whereas kicking a box over hurts your feet. :)

If you spin the middle wall through 90deg and use it to tie the two outer walls together halfway down their length you wouldn't need any more blocks adding? I think that what's what he was suggesting. :)

He still needs to support the paving slabs at the front, so the next best option may be to fill in the gaps halfway down.

Shame you can't use wall ties to tie the extra skin of brick to the existing and fill the small cavity with more muck.

If you just try to butt it up it will make it stronger without doubt but still has the potential for failure.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Been there many times.

With as much research as reasonably possible, sometimes you have to bite the bullet and just get on with things.

Oven is ordered and will be here next Thur, so I have a week to sort it and to let the concrete cure.

Is that under a tree canopy? In my father in laws scratch build stone and brick pizza oven, we have have flame several feet in the air from the chimney. It is bigger than yours but still.

It is yes.
I was thinking about cutting a hole in the roof and venting it out via a chimney if it does flame up.

Here is the updated version.
I still haven't finished. I need to support the out walls a little more.

IMG_3142.JPG

Last edited:
Oh yes, that looks much more secure :clap: Great job.

Like it. :)

Physics approves

Is that under a tree canopy? In my father in laws scratch build stone and brick pizza oven, we have have flame several feet in the air from the chimney. It is bigger than yours but still.

Actually, just checked and this one has a valve on the chimney which can be closed when the wood is set alight.
This will help keep the heat in, but more importantly help keep the flames in too, until they are embers then it can be opened again.

s-l500.jpg

Is that tree branch to the right being removed?

I wasn't going to, but if I find it will be a problem then I will.
I'm not sure the flames will come out too much as the chimney has a valve which I can keep closed whilst flaming and open to regulate the heat when its at the ember stage, plus the oven is insulated so shouldn't lose much heat from it body.

Well I have now painted it, and its ready for the oven and for a marble/granite work surface at the front.

IMG_3143.JPG

To get the oven on I am going to make 3 A frames (laid on their side) to edge it up bit by bit.
Its 72 stone, so wont be a one man job.
I will put wood across the 3 every so often as a holding point, so it doesn't slide back down.

Last edited:
Ramp ready for delivery tomorrow.
6x 4"x4"x6' fence posts.
I have cut notches in the bottom posts to stop the top ones moving under load.

IMG_3144.JPG

Last edited:
Ramp ready for delivery tomorrow.
6x 4"x4"x6' fence posts.
I have cut notches in the bottom posts to stop the top ones moving under load.

13934878_10153681990846524_7565498611111055390_n.jpg

It appears this thread has now become a reconstruction on how the Pyramids were built :p

If the whole lot collapses backwards, whose fence is it?

(joking)

If the whole lot collapses backwards, whose fence is it?

(joking)
Mine, I put it up.
The fence will probably collapse well before though ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom