Pizza Oven thread

aerodynamic18

While pizza ovens are discussed within the BBQ thread i thought it could be a good idea to have its own sub thread. Reason being their is a lot of people now buying unni 2s in the thread and i have ordered the Roccbox as well as having purpose built ovens. I thought it would be a good idea to post recipes for things you have cooked in them, from the dough itself to other things like steak, lobster tails etc to give us all some tips :) Also any hints and tips would be great too. I cannot wait to get mine hopefully in the next month

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
I looked at the Roccbox too looks a good bit of kit. I also fancy building one of those fire pit type affairs so people can cook their own at the table.

Thug

Distinguished Member
I am (still) in the process of building my own.
Just built the shelter it is going in and a BBQ, now just have to finish the brick base and the pizza oven which I started last year and is still in the garage. It was made in sections so I could carry it out and finish it off.

aerodynamic18

any pics? We cant wait to get our Roccbox tbh. It also looks great to cook other stuff in and we like the fact its portable.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I didn't know about these, but now I want one!
Are they stored inside or outside?

IronGiant

The corderite stone floor should not be left out in the winter as any moisture in it could freeze and crack it. I would think you could leave it out over the summer although you'd probably want to cover it.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
It's portable so no need to leave it outside for long periods although @ 20kg, it's not light!

Must be all that Stainless and stone!

aerodynamic18

Yea that's what I have ordered. I like the look of it as it can run on gas or wood so is portable but still heavy. The unni 2s is popular as well and it runs on wood pellets

aerodynamic18

I didn't know about these, but now I want one!
Are they stored inside or outside?
I will be keeping ours in the garage when not in use as it's portable and don't want it stolen. Also they are bringing out a smoker attachment for it too!

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
you won't get it till towards November - do you fancy being out in the cold and rain and snow to cook a pizza?
I think Wahreo cooks all year round.

aerodynamic18

wonder what else you could get away with cooking on it.
Their is a video of them cooking pizza on it and also lobster tails in it as well. Look on YouTube. The outtake of the lobster tails is really funny!

aerodynamic18

Thug

Distinguished Member
I was going to build a pizza oven, but decided to buy one instead.
I have already built the base stand (about 1mtr high) out of concrete blocks (from JT Atkinson), after digging out foundations and filling with concrete.
My question is, the pizza oven is 450kg (72st, or nearly half a ton), would this structure be strong enough to hold it without any issues?
The pizza oven is 90cmx90cm and this structure is 90cmx1250cm (leaving a little room at the front to work on).
I don't want it to collapse on me.

13726799_10153647769591524_3265422015950045210_n.jpg

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

Last edited:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I have no idea however is it a concern there is no left/right support a the front or down the length? i.e. the central pillar does not join with the edge ones (other than at the back).

Thug

Distinguished Member
I left it open so there was a decent space to store wood, but I could still create a support I guess if it will strengthen it.

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Will most of the weight be supported at the edges so effectively be supported on top of the breeze blocks? If so, then as someone with no building experience whatsoever, I reckon you'll be ok. :confused:

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
As with anything like this, you've got to assume worse case scenario.

Looking at the brick bond, it's not much of a bond. The bricks should be staggered halfway across each brick but that's just one point, going back to worse case scenario again, imagine the extreme force pushing down on those concrete blocks and someone accidentally pushes a wheelbarrow against the corner of a brick with the poor brick bond?

Once one brick has shifted you've created a weak spot and the whole thing could well fall. It's a bit high for its width really plus the bricks look a little like flamingos legs stood there. Imagine how much stronger it would've been if you'd have laid the same concrete blocks flat with the largest face of the brick against the base.

A very quick Google also suggests that the top would be better with a reinforced steel and concrete slab. Constructed using shuttering.

Not knocking your work and if I'm honest, it would probably be OK but is a probably good enough?

It's a tough call with what to do with it to strengthen it. I've half a mind to say block the front off and fill with concrete and rubble. At least it won't topple over then.

Thug

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your time so far guys.
The reasons its as high as it is was due to me wanting it to me roughly elbow height.
This is so I don't have to bend down whilst using it.
The bricks are staggered, but only by 4" as they over-lap with the rear to all connect together.

There is no chance of it being hit with a barrow (I don't have one).
How about if I make the outer walls double skinned and put a cross piece in midway (still leaving space for wood) joining all 3 walls together.

The top paving wont have that much pressure on itself as such as the pressure would be on the 3 (4 including the rear) down sections. I could even get away without a top as the oven itself would create one.

Thug

Distinguished Member
This is the one I am getting and if you look at their base its also on a single course (albeit not as tall as mine).

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your time so far guys.
The reasons its as high as it is was due to me wanting it to me roughly elbow height.
This is so I don't have to bend down whilst using it.
The bricks are staggered, but only by 4" as they over-lap with the rear to all connect together.

There is no chance of it being hit with a barrow (I don't have one).
How about if I make the outer walls double skinned and put a cross piece in midway (still leaving space for wood) joining all 3 walls together.

The top paving wont have that much pressure on itself as such as the pressure would be on the 3 (4 including the rear) down sections. I could even get away without a top as the oven itself would create one.
If me I would double skin and add an angled retaining wall either side in the middle to stop in going into wobble mode.

brick2.jpg

brick2.jpg

Epicurus

Being perfectly honest my concern would laying them on edge like that. If no lateral force is applied on the pizza oven you should be ok. Just don't let anyone lean on it! The benefit of bricks instead of blocks is getting the suction of the "frog" on top of the brick when laid as in supplier photo with a standard stretcher bond making that structure much stronger. It also has a very substantial single slab as the platform so the load is being spread evenly (looks like that comes as part of the oven?).

Having said all that, in this position I would still take a chance, when the oven is installed you'll still be able to reinforce if needed.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
I'm not a builder myself but come from a family of builders, to my eyes it would look a helluva lot more likely to stand the test of time if you removed the top course? Especially if you're putting a heavy load on top.

I'm not being mean here, but I'm fairly sure if my brother came round my house and saw that in the back garden he'd knock it down while I was making him a coffee and call me a ********.

If that was a dry build (no mortar) you could kick it over without any real effort? - that to me would suggest it needs a major rethink.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
I sent your photo to a customer of mine, a housebuilder.

His response 'I think it will bear the load, in a vertical plane, but I would be seriously worried about lateral stability. It needs stiffening up a lot - I would fill in the front so that it creates a full box'.

Had a quick chat with him after his reply and he said change the 'M' profile (viewed from above) to an 'A' profile and you should be fine.

hope that helps :)