pixmax or index

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying an index for Christmas to replace my vive. I have the base stations so will buy the HDM and controller package.

I did read some of the Pixmax forum a while ago and my impression was that whilst good it was not the best overall. ie great FOV but poor comfort - poor software and poor customer service

the index seems generally good at everything which was why i was going to get one

however has the pixmax development moved on at all and is pixmax something i should consider now rather than the index.

I would say go with the Index as you have cover from Valve. the Pimax is not a comfy HMD, the index on the other hand is very nice to wear.

I had a 5K+ and an Index. The Index is much better imo.

You've not had enough responses here with which to make a decision. For me it's all about FOV and many others who have tried both say there's no contest, 5K+ is better.

My 5K+ is currently untouched still in its box so I may hate it, but I know many love it and I can't wait to give it a go!

I have the 8K, and I still prefer using my Vive Pro. The Pimax is good to show you where VR is headed and the possibilities, but as an overall product I can't honestly recommend it. Janky software, rubbish head strap, and average build quality mar the experience unfortunately. Go for the Index.

You've not had enough responses here with which to make a decision. For me it's all about FOV and many others who have tried both say there's no contest, 5K+ is better.

My 5K+ is currently untouched still in its box so I may hate it, but I know many love it and I can't wait to give it a go!

i have spent hours looking at reviews and index is to me seems the better solution. I am quite happy with my vive FOV. My wife has agreed to get me it for christmas so bring it on

i have spent hours looking at reviews and index is to me seems the better solution. I am quite happy with my vive FOV. My wife has agreed to get me it for christmas so bring it on

Brilliant! Good luck and I'm sure you'll be delighted with your purchase. I've heard lots of good things about it. A very polished smooth device, I'd love to try.

To many though it's all about FOV, certainly to me and I wouldn't trade even 2 degrees of FOV for a more polished system and software or better comfort. I used to play with my Vive without any foam at all with the painful velcro digging into my forehead just to get an extra few percent of FOV and for me it made all the difference in terms of immersion. My Rift is a much more polished system than my Vive, better software, better controllers, much much better lenses but again I prefer Vive purely because of the better FOV attainable. Anything less just seems like binoculars and my Rift has remained untouched pretty much. With my Vive DAS mod comfort on my Pimax will be fine and I can't wait to try full FOV in some titles. Some people literally laugh when they go back to the smaller FOV of Vive after trying a Pimax, but if you don't mind Vive FOV you should love Index as it's a step up in all things including FOV too. Probably the better device for most people I reckon.

I was all for more FOV, hence I was a Pimax backer. And it is certainly a wow moment when you experience it for the first time. But the colours were just washed out on the Pimax at optimum contrast and brightness settings compared with the Vive (OG and Pro) - for me that turned out to be an unexpected dealbreaker.

I've not tried an Index, but hopefully the LCD panels have better colour reproduction and deeper blacks than the Pimax LCD variants. For me though, I'm sticking with OLED headsets.

I was all for more FOV, hence I was a Pimax backer. And it is certainly a wow moment when you experience it for the first time. But the colours were just washed out on the Pimax at optimum contrast and brightness settings compared with the Vive (OG and Pro) - for me that turned out to be an unexpected dealbreaker.

I've not tried an Index, but hopefully the LCD panels have better colour reproduction and deeper blacks than the Pimax LCD variants. For me though, I'm sticking with OLED headsets.

Bottom line is they are crap.

LCD is LCD. Anyone that tells you otherwise is fanboying. Vader immortal on the Index or Rift S is just meh. On the Quest or Vive Pro its beautiful. However the Index as a headset is REALLY nice. I just wish they'd gone OLED with the price they're charging. Best in class refresh rate, best in class commercially friendly fov, best in class build quality, best in class in built sound etc.

I have both 5k+ and Index and I prefer the Index. But if I didn’t have the Index I’d still be happy with the 5k+.

5k+ cant turn the base stations on and off. The wide FOV suffered from distracting pop in which means objects on the periphery suddenly appear and disappears. The 5k+ still has no hard audio strap. But the image is sharp and wide and little glare.

The Index is the complete package. Comfy audio strap, great sounding off ear headphones, low SDE but bad glare on dark scenes. Best VR controllers on the market. Best tracking you can just forget about. And now Alyx is announce we get the best VR game of our generation that will push the boundaries on every level.

Pimax are working on the 8k+ and 8kX which sound interesting and should be available in Feb 2020. 4k resolution for per eye. New Audio strap and better build quality. Forget about the 5k+ and 8k.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom