1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixmania

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by nemesis, Apr 22, 2005.

1. nemesis

nemesis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Has anyone had experiences with these guys? I ordered a Canon Ixus 700 on Tuesday and it arrived today. Fine I thought but then I opened the box up and guess what.....no camera!! Everything was in the box apart from the camera, Battery (whoever took it was kind enough to leave the battery cover) and memory card.

Anyway, I got on the phone to them straight away and they say they need to investigate it to see where the camera has gone. They said they will definitely be able to determine this. I'm pretty sure it was the person who packed it that took it because the box it arrived in hadn't been tampered with.

Can someone advise where I stand?

Jim :lease:

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    If you do a search you will find a few threads about Pixmania.

Regarding your problem, sounds like from your post that they don't disagree and are willing to exchange it, they just need to investigate first.

In my experience Pixmania are very quick to deliver and I have not had any problems, its when you do get a problem that the trouble arises. Do a quick search and you should find more answers.

Greg

3. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Shopped with thema few times. Never had problems.
    Hope you resolve your situation fast.

4. HCking

HCking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    i bought an epson r300 printer from them which arrived after 3 weeks (paid for next day) it was missing all its ink cartridges. after around 50 emails and phone calls they sent out the cartridges for 1 of them to be missing.
    they eventually credited my card with the amount for 1 missing cartridge, no compensation for them sending it out 3 weeks late.

i will never use them again and would never recommend them to anyone.

i told them that as well all they said was OK !!!!!!!

i know this doesnt help you with your problem, they do sort things out eventually.

5. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just had a Nikon D70 kit delivered - no probs with the order process or the delivery. Very impressed with the service. Registered with them on 8 Apr, applied online for instant credit, downloaded the forms, signed and posted back with proof of address, 21 Apr the kit turned up. One very happy chappie am I....

6. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive seen this no camera in the box before on anouther forum site, from a guy who bought a camera from these people, also instuction books in french and wrong items sent, sure id rather get jessops to price match or come close to these cheap sites, also they have a better 28 day return policy if you dont use the software . so for people who want good service and the fact you can just take the camera back or if it has problems later on visit the shop you bought it from is more important than taking chances and saving a few pounds imho.

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have always bought from jessops i spent hundreds of pounds more becuse of that rather importing my lenses and body for that matter. I do actaully know a lot of lads off here who have been very happy with pixmania but it's true to say that not everybody is and i myself like having human contact.

For some that's not such an issue and saving more money is more important. Fair play to them if that's what they want it's not what i want.

Actually pixamania is not too far off what many uk sites sell their camera's so personally i would pay a little extra if that was the case and get jessops to price match, But it's a personal choice and if you do your reasearch you can save a lot of money. One of the lads just imported his 20D save about 300 on what i paid for mine. But i just find the peace of mind of having a face to deal with priceless...

But that's me

8. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    I don't like the fact that Pixmania is not that clear about it that there products will be gray imports for the UK...Nearly went with them for the D70 but found that out just in time....

Jessops has been quite good I think, they've pricematched every Internet price so far for me, always had the goods in stock as well, and it is a true UK product with added advantages....like free Nikon software downloads etc...

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Pixmania...I don't think it is good enough for them to investigate first....They should sort you out first and then investigate afterwards...That is customer service...Problems happen everywhere, how they get resolved makes the difference between buying from them again...

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To be fair to pixmania or any company that was told of this kind of problem. You'd have to check it out first.

With out meaning in anyway to sound like our friend is pulling a fast one. What's to stop anybody from saying there was no camera in the box? So anything like that would have to be looked in to. Goods ect are charged by weight for delivery they'll look in to that i'm sure to check the weight as it should be before it left the warehouse and what the weight was when UPS ect took charge of it.

I'm sure that they'll replace the camera, but it's only fair for it to be looked in to in my opinion, but it should be delt with in a matter of days not weeks.

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    HI

I to have just bought a Ixus 700 from Pixmania. The item was a week late as they run out of stock, even though it was in stock when I made the order. It also doesn't have a english manual, only French. :(

Too be honest would of rather spent an extra £15 (next price up) and got an english manual. (didnt know about jessops price match) Apart from that I am very pleased with this camera, its small and takes a nice pic. :)

Does anyone know if I can request a engish manual from pixmania?

:)

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Always read the FAQ's

All the products we sell are EUROPEAN SPECIFICATION; they are models that the manufacturers sell in Europe . Some products may come with 2 pin plugs; however please note that we provide, free of charge, an adapter for the UK 3-pin plug.
    Also CANON digital cameras, PENTAX and EPSON products and a few other models occasionally do not come with English instructions. This is always indicated in the technical information of the product and links to the English downloads are provided.

If you actually look at the specs http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/862...us-canon-ixus-7.html?itag=3895#fichetechnique it tells you the manual is in french so it's not like the company hides these facts people often then blame pixmania when they actually make it clear (not saying you're blaming them just others have)

12. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I bought a Panny DMC FX7 from pixmania. It is the European Dark Blue model (not available in the UK). Pixmania CLEARLY stated on the site that this was a european model with french instructions and provided a direct link to Panasonic UK to allow ne to download the English manual.
    I faxed off proof of ID and camera arrived next day at my workplace. Perfect condition....no dead pixels.
    Compared with jessops:
    I go in to ask for the FX7. The assistant lets me have a look, and then says he won't price match the net. To ensure against dead pixels, I can look through all of the ones in stock till I get a pristine one and get that. Fair enough, worth the extra £40 to get a UK model? So I ask to buy one. He proceeds to get out the shop soiled display model and start to pack it. I insist on a new boxed one and he replies that "this one is brand new anyway, just like the ones in stock. We get new ones in every day". I point out a scratch on the casing and again insist on a new one. He then says he actually doesn't have any in stock and offers me the shop soiled one without even a discount. I decline a third time and say I'll come back 2moro to collect the new one he gets every day. He replies that actually he won't get one next day. I ask for day after (Monday). OH..er...he won't be getting one then either, or the next etc. He also cannot really say when he'll get any more in....... :mad:

I thought I'd ended up in Dixons by mistake... :censored: monkey!

13. S2K DG

S2K DG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I bought a 20D and an Ixus 40 from Pixmania. Both came with french manuals (as stated). Picked up English versions for a few quid on ebay.

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Cheers everyone for your replies.

I didnt see the writing saying it comes with a french manual, so I guess its down to me. If you go on the UK site they charge you for the manual and if you go to the US site you can download it for free. Crazy hey, I guess the americans wont put up with paying for a manual, but us brits put up with anything.

BTW I didnt get a 3 pin plug, but I have loads of correct leads so I again i wasnt bothered.

LOL. I like the story with the new cameras beign delivered everyday..... I hate sales assistants like that.

Very pleased with the Ixus 700, I also got a underwater housing for it for a deph of 130 feet. :) I cant believe how small this camera is. :)

Cheers

15. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Fuji S700 from Jessops in Sheffield. The shop assistant spent about 15 minutes demonstrating the camera to me. When I decided to buy it I produced a printout of the LX Direct price of £280 (compared to Jessops £329). The guy made a quick tel call and offered me the camera at £285 with 2 x 25 vouchers for digital prints. When I accepted he put the demo away and went and got me an unopened one from the back. He then opened it up to ensure everything was in the box and pristine. I have since taken out the 3 years extended warranty that includes accidental damage cover for £35 (compared with Fujis £70).

Having said all that, I did go to the Meadowhall branch the week before and was treated very poorly by a young girl that obviously hadn't a clue about what she was doing so I left without making a purchase.

I'm obviously fortunate that I have 2 Jessops stores to choose from locally, but I would definitely buy from them again.