1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pixelworks pw1232

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ddavewoods, Aug 5, 2005.

1. ddavewoods

ddavewoods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi
    my plasma has a pixelworks 1232 chipset, and being a newbie to plasma I was interested to know what function the chipset has, I e mailed pixelworks and got the following answer

Dave,
    The PW1232 is a deinterlacing chip that processes an interlaced video signal into a progressive video format.
    Thanks,
    Chris

so my question is:
    if the plasma has this chip built in, what are the advantages of using a DVD player with progressive scan output over the built in prog scan chipset, and does this chip convert all signals fed to the panel to prog scan ?
    and if it does is a progressive scan signal processed twice ?? :confused:

cheers
    Dave

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,590
    ddavewoods

Pretty much every Fixed Pixel device (inc Plasma Displays) are inherently Progressive and include one or other of the big name deinterlacing chip sets.

You'll notice Pixelworks (like its competition) offer a range of video processing chip sets - some are more accurate than others and also undertake additional processing.

When you Input a Progressive signal into the Display the signals is NOT passed through the Pixelworks processor - you cant 'double process' the signal; though some units can get in a bit of a pickle if you input progressive and have some 'advanced' progressive mode or other switched on in the Displays user menu - you often get two half images on a screen.

The idea of using a DVD player (or any source) with onboard deinterlacing is that the processing chip used in the source device is hopefully one of the more upmarket chips and will outperform the (usually) basic spec processing found in most displays - obviously not always the case so choose your source carefully knowing what's already onboard your Display.

Best Regards

Joe

3. ddavewoods

ddavewoods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks Joe
    the more i learn the more I want, bigger screens, scalers, lol

cheers