1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PixelPlus 1/2 - does it also mean the image is progressive?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Sniper, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    The question is all in the subject - but let me repeat.

Can anyone let me know if enabling the PixelPlus processing on a Philips CRT TV automatically change an interlaced input to progsessive (non-interlaced) ?

Thanks!

2. Tharkûn

Tharkûn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, the PixelPlus mode is interlaced (PAL 576i@50Hz => 768i@75Hz and NTSC 480i@60hz => 960i@60hz).
    There is a progressive mode for NSTC inputs (480p@60hz, of course without PixelPlus processing).

3. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    :confused:

why? does PixelPlus only work on interlaced signals?

and what would (in your opinion) look better than "480p" or "480i with pixel+" ?

4. Tharkûn

Tharkûn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Pixel+ outputs only interlaced signals.

Pixel+ means enhanced definition, adding 33% lines to the PAL input signals and 100% lines to the NTSC input signals, so using progressive output signals would require too high frequencies.

768/2 x 75 (768i PAL Pixel+) = 960/2 x 60 (960i NTSC Pixel+) = 480 x 60 (480p NTSC Progressive scan) = 1152/2 x 50 (1152i PAL Double Lines mode) = 576/2 x 100 (576i Digital Scan mode).

This is a common limit of the tube for all modes.

(More precisely 625i/2 x 100Hz = 31.25 kHz as 625 lines are used to display 576i for PAL signals, and 833 lines for 768i in PAL Pixel+ mode).

Well, it is hard to tell which mode is better, if you don't like heavy digital processing and the video-like effect due to the Digital Natural Motion technology, if you are looking for a more cinema-like experience, 480p is better, but it would be weird to buy such a TV to achieve this goal, as a TV with YUV progressive inputs would be a better choice : Pixel+ is definitely the mode to be used with these TV, with a really enhanced definition (better than 480p) and a total lack of line structure and flickering.

5. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    oh - so that would explain why my Pioneer DVD player (DV-470) will output progressive only from the Component out & not from the Scart-RGB ... it's a matter of available bandwidth! right?

as you can see my problem is just that... i was all set to buy a Philips Pixel+ crt, but then noticed that none have component in - which i sort of wanted since dvd will do progressive only from component out.

so you say i should get a tv 'with component and less digital processing', rather than one 'w/o component & pixel+ or similar' ?

6. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Progressive component from scart....now there's a concept.
    As far as PixelPlus goes remember that there's also Digital Natural Motion included meaning this technology has an effect to the movement of the picture. This could lead to following side effects: moving objects having a "pixel net" around them and picture breaking up. The first one can be annoying but you can live with it and the second one happens only rarely. As far as movement goes this might require some getting used to since the movement of the pic if very smooth (unnaturally smooth according to some but atleast I like it).

Anyways it is recommended that you review personally the telly which you want to buy meaning grab your favourite DVD along with you and ask the store personel to hook up a DVD player to the screen (make sure they use SCART RGB). If they want you as a client they will do happily what you (nicely) ask for, if not then you can take your money elsewhere.

7. Tharkûn

Tharkûn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a problem of bandwith, progressive signals can be sent through SCART outputs, some devices do (old Kiss players, some DVB-T receivers, ...), but it is rather weird and unusual as you have to use SCART to YUV converters (no display can receive progressive signals through SCART inputs).

The problem is the scan rate of these CRT TV, it allows to upscale interlaced signals OR display progressive signals, not deinterlace and upscale at the same time.

About Pixel+ vs Progressive, you really have to compare for yourself.

Note that Panasonic high-end models have Acuity processing, which is very similar to Pixel+, AND progressive inputs (but Acuity is of course disabled for these component inputs).