Pixellation / sound breakup

O

owenmj

I've just subscribed to ITV's Ondigital. The set top box duly arrived and within minutes it was all set up and I have a myriad (well quite a few) channels at my disposal. My existing aerial didn't need replacing so I was chuffed at now having to cough up another £25. The picture quality on free to view channels is better than before I had the STB. So far , so good.

Well, when the highlights of the NZ v Australia one day international came on last week I was all set for three hours of bliss (The marriage wasn't going anywhere anyway! ). I did get to see the game but the screen kept pixellating and the audio was a bit like listening to someone on a dodgy mobile. I don't know if this makes any difference to the reception but it was raining that night.

Is this common and is there anything I can do about it ? I could understand there being problems with a live transmission but as this was pre-recorded highlights I was a bit miffed . It was an epic NZ will in the end, but I could barely make it out !

Welcome to the 'wonderful world of digital TV'.

It all looks fine and dandy at first but it is soon 'found out' and is not a patch on a good analogue signal.

This is normal for sports on any digital platform so no don't blame it on the weather. It's just poor compression and low bit rates.

Don't know why it always seems to affect sports more than anything else, live or recorded.

I don't buy this 'because the format can't handle fast moving subject matter' when the Sky Movie channels proves it can !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom