1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixellated DV input to WXP from Canon DV20

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by bishee, Oct 31, 2004.

1. bishee

bishee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to this. My DV output to my imac is fine. My DV output to my XP with SP2 is pixellated and broken up. The Hardware Device Manager shows Canon DV Camcorder in the Imaging devices and the drivers are windows assigned and all appears to be in order.

I have tried windows' own DV editor and Vegas 4 but they show the same pixellated input ... so it must be the driver?? However, my Canon MV20 came with no drivers. Premier says the wrong (or no) driver is loaded and refuses to start.

Could someone point me in the right direction, please?

Bish

2. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    what are you connecting with USB or firewire?

3. vorivetti

vorivetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having exactly the same problem. When trying to import video from my dv20 to winXp. I tried with different programs and I have the same weird pixalate image. I am importing with firewire connection.
    I just bought a laptop dell 8600 so i could transfer on dvd all my videos... so now I'm stuck.
    I'm thinking different possible problems:
    Going back to SP1 since I have SP2
    Try to install old DV20 drivers
    Possible problems with pal ntsc incompatibility... (but i can't see why since both formats are usually recognized)

Pleas Help!

V

4. Nick T

Nick T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you plug it in and turn it on you should get a wee pop up with the camera name/type.

Also I would use WMM to capture the digital video.

Nick

5. Alan Highet

Alan Highet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it must be realted to the Canon DV driver supplied by Microsoft. The capture software makes no difference. Opening the camera in My Computer and playing the video results in the same pixellated picture.
    I have tried installing the SP1 1394 drivers with no success.

6. Alan Highet

Alan Highet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I notice that Windows Movie Maker shows the DV input as NTSC when it is PAL. Would this be the cause of the pixellation?

7. Nick T

Nick T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Change it and see.

NTSC and PAL vide recorders are more common now. I would imagine WMM would not be bothered but if the ouput is in NTSC but the camcorder is actually outputing PAL it would be a problem.

Nick

8. vorivetti

vorivetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no problems as far as WXP recognizing the camcorder when I hook it up. It shows in the devices, but eventually with the wrong driver.
    I was tweaking around with drivers and was able to use the driver for SP1 (but I think the generic, not the canon ones) and the image finally started to work. I was able to download a whole tape with movie maker, so everything was working great. So I thought I would download a second tape and thats when I started having problems. The second tape wouldn't work. So after messing around for half an hour I think I made things worse... at this point I probably made a mess but this is the situation I have the dv canon showing in the devices but with a yellow cross, at some point I was able to uninstall the drivers and now I am not able to reinstall them, I mean none of them... tried different ones but nothing.
    Yesterday i found the original disks and cd I got with the camcorder, so eventually I will try to install the drivers on those (they are for W95!).
    Wish me luck..!
    If you have luck finding a stable configuration please post!

ciao!
    V

9. Alan Highet

Alan Highet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Although Windows Movie Maker shows that it is recording from an NTSC source the PAL option is selected in options. This leads me to believe that it is a driver issue but where to get a new driver! Canon say it is Microsofts problem (they would).

10. tfa

tfa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a have exactly same problem (distorted, pixelated image) with canon mv430.
    the only solution is to unplug IEEE1394 wire from PC controller,
    wait 5 seconds and plug it back in.
    unplugging it from camera does not help. haha.
    well, not very convenient if your PC lays under the table, but works.
    it sure is a microsoft problem.