1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelation

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by scrapbook, Jan 29, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I was always under the impression that pixelisation was exclusive to 100hz TV's and over processed pictures.

However I seem to be increasingly noticing it on my TV - a 10 year old big black box - a 25inch Panasonic!!

It is particulary noticeable on certain broadcasts where there is a lot of panning of the camera - Secrets of the SAS t'other day being a good example!

The TV is connected to NTL Digital via a reasonable Co-Ax cable. (S Vid and Scart inputs being taken up with other goodies.)

Does the quality of cable actually improve this effect or do we have to learn to live with pixelation now we are in the digital age?

Irrespective of the quality of the co-ax/scart etc there is obviously the question of the cable that runs from the the wall to the input of the Digi Box...which at the moment appears to be connected by a rather cheap looking cable fitted by NTL.

Having looked around maplins the other day the connection is of an 'F-Plug' variety..does anyone out there ever upgrade this cable?

I ask because I only ever read about people upgrading scart cables etc.but never the actual cable that runs from the wall to the box (I have never previously heard of an 'F' plug)

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Any digital broadcast is apt to suffer from pixellation and there is lnothing much you can do about it. It is due to the digital compression used for the broadcast and will be most noticeable in scenes where there is a lot of movement and/or soft dissolves. There simply isn't enough data being transmitted to fully describe each frame, when each frame is largely or completely different to the last - and there is a long sequence of them.

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    So where eveyone complains about the pixellation on their TV's as being a faulty TV..it is rather just a fact of life these days?!

Bring back analogue thats what I say!!

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nooo! Don't say that, complain to the broadcasters that your picture is unwatchable, maybe someone will eventually get the idea that people would like quality rather than quantity. How many Sky channels does anyone watch regularly?

I say bring on US style, high bitrate digital HDTV!

Digital TV has the advantage of being a much more robust platform than analogue. People can say goodbye to the problem of poor reception forever. The only reason, terrestrial digital TV still has reception issues in the UK is because the transmitters are only around 10% of the power of the analogue ones. Freeview actually has pretty good quality because of the higher (than Sky) bitrates used.