1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelation on NTL digital

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by letmeregister, Jan 21, 2004.

1. letmeregister

letmeregister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help!

I've just had NTL digital installed and when I'm watching any channel the picture is poor. This is especially noticable with footie or when cameras cut across the studio. There is sometimes a trail effect and it sems like the tv is trying to catch up.

The NTL engineert has swapped my box and has told mr its the mpeg card in my tv! Does my tv have an mpeg card in it? I don't have an integrated digitral tv so I doubt I have an mpeg card.

Please help.

Frustrated of Bournemouth

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    make sure the ntl box is set to rgb not composite.

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have digital picture stuff in the TV which could cause this but you would notice it on other stuff (had a philips WS set with 100hz that did this years ago).

Try another TV and also try using RGB on the scart connection for best picture. The quality of some channels can be bad but it's more to do with what the studio transmits then the NTL box.

4. letmeregister

letmeregister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

Already configured box to rgb.

The comment about the 100hz stuff is worrying. Is this really going to be the cause and if so is there a way around it?

TV is Phillips 28" widescreen 100hz model.

5. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    letmeregister,

People may disagree but IMO 100hz set's do highlight digital artifacts more than 50hz sets. But I doubt any are so bad that its unwatchable.

It could be the box or a local network issue.

Are there any channels in particular?
    Where do you llive?

ledzep

6. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The set I had was I think one of the first 100Hz Phillips models. I could see simular affects to what you describe and the best I could figure out was that it digitised each frame and showed the digitised frame on screen but it looked like they used a realy low bit digitiser chip and too slow memory. Sort of like watching a low bit rate mpeg over dial-up (but not that bad ;)).

It was rented so I swaped it for a Sony 50hz WS which I still use today.

But I did notice this effect on all sources not just NTL.

Still think you should try another TV (portable etc) to be sure and watch simular stuff on different channels incase it's a poor broadcast.

7. letmeregister

letmeregister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ledzep - I live in Bournemouth.

Only had the box installed on Saturday. ITV seems to be the prime culprit although there are issues with other channels. First noticed the problem when watching the Premiership on ITV on Saturday night. It was so bad that I had to switch over to the terrestial signal.

Also have big problems watching GMTV and the "Men v Women Driving test on Monday night was a nightmare. Everything is fine and dandy when the camera focuses is on the presenters but as soon it switches to another camera angle or moves to a news clip the picture "breaks up" then "re-assembles" itself.

Before anyone says it - I know I my taste in tv programmes is appalling!

8. ledzep100

ledzep100
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi letmeregister,

Should have seen you were from Bournemouth from your first post:suicide:.

You mentioned that when the camera is on a presenter the picture is fine, this is because there is less information to broadcast than there is in quick moving highly detailed pictures. This is a fundimetal problem with the mpeg standard.

The reason you notice pixelisation more on ITV sports content is that ITV broadcast at about 5 mbps (mega bits per second) and Sky sports broadcast at about 10 mbps. Twice the bandwith means less compression hence less pixelisation.

And when you add to this the unforgiving nature of a 100 hz set your going to notice.

As ailean said maybe you should try another TV.

Hope this helps

9. letmeregister

letmeregister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ledzep - Many thanks for the explanation.

Guess I will spend the weekend trying out different tv's.