1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelation on Loewe Aventos

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Paperboy, Jun 25, 2003.

1. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see from the forum that many people, like me, have plumped for the Aventos 32". However, has anybody else had problems with movement pixelation? Sometimes it is so bad it looks as if the people on screen have a swarm of gnats around the heads!
    I've tried all different set ups including turning the noise and movement filters on and off in various combinations. I've also dallied with varying degrees of contrast, brightness and sharpness.
    I know that 100hz screens suffer with movement pixelation, but I was told that Loewe was better than most. If anyone has found a good way on minimalising the problem, please let me know.
    Could it be that I watch most of my TV through Sky Digital? Would it help if I had a Sky-Plus box?
    All comments gratefully received

2. danlo

danlo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have recently purchased an Aventos (got rid of Pixel+) and on the whole the picture is very good. I haven't noticed the artefacts you mentioned but I do have a problem with the insane amount of "jaggies" present on both SKY and DVD.

I have never seen a TV with such nasty looking jaggies before and believe me I've been through a lot of sets over the years ;)

I've messed about with all the permutations in the picture settings menu with no joy.

If it wasn't for this problem the picture would be as close to perfect as I've seen on a CRT set.

Anybody any ideas on how to reduce the jaggies?

3. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we could be talking about the same thing - jagged images when there is movement of any sort?

4. danlo

danlo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The jaggies are definitely worse with moving images but they are still there with still images.

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Turn off all picture processing modes - DMM/DMI, DNR and reduce Sharpness to 1 or 2.

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Are you sure what you're seeing isn't down to Sky Digital? Do you get the effect when watching DVD or VHS?

7. danlo

danlo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Groundy, I have tried turning off the processing modes but never had the sharpness down below 3!!!
    I'll give it a go but I kinda like my picture sharp :)

Cerebros, the jaggies are present with all sources, VHS, DVD and SKY.

8. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :eek: - Each to their own danlo but 3 is just too high :D. Knock that down to 2 at the very least. I watch on 1 but it took some getting used to ;).

9. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sounds like it could well be the TV's processing in that case

10. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +619
    I have The Aventos (Chassis Q2500/m - Software V 3.7) and have no problems with the picture, I have Sky digital/RGB, DVD/RGB and a VCR routed through the Sky box, and as I have said on other threads the picture is the best I have seen on a CRT.

Just a thought, did you go through the process of telling the TV what is connected to each scart and what type of signal it uses? It probaly makes no difference, but I have done this and as I said earlier my picture is fantastic whatever the source.

If it helps, my picture settings are below:

Contrast = 35
    Picture adjustment = Normal
    Colour = 24
    Brightness = 24
    Picture Vert = - 4
    Sharpness = 2
    Tint = 0
    DNC = On
    DMI = On
    AMD = On
    Rotate Picture = 0

mij

11. danlo

danlo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mij,

I did go through the process of telling the set what is connected. I was actually going to suggest the same for Paperboy because is sounds like the artefacts he is seeing is probably due to the fact that the set defaults to using composite input rather that RGB. If I change my settings to composite I get the same thing that Paperboy mentions.

The problem I have is that my picture looks like I'm watching it on a computer screen set to 640x480. If you've ever played games or watched a DVD on a PC set to such a low res you'll get some idea of the jaggies I'm talking about.

Tried groundy's suggestion of setting sharpness down to 2 and it helped somewhat, but I now have blurry jaggies instead of sharp jaggies :rolleyes:

I'm quite disappointed at the moment, got rid of P+ for this set. I was round at my brother's last night and he has a P+ set (9617 I think) and I must say that the picture is far better on his TV!!! (when it's not moving that is ;) )

If you don't see any jaggies (especially on horizontal lines) then I can only assume that I have a duff set, I'll be on the phone to Comet tomorrow.

Do you know anything about the mysterious bit 5 of byte 3 (or bit 3 of byte 5) service setting that supposedly turns on the internal de-interlacer for PAL? Read a bit about it on this forum but nobody seems to know the exact setting.

P.S Paperboy, if you want a hand setting up RGB on your set then send me an e-mail

Danlo

12. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +619
    danlo, it does sound like something is wrong with the set, my Aventos and a friends has a much better picture than my previous Pixel + set & 2 sony's, regarding the question about "Option Bytes" download the dealer guide here: http://www.sauerland.de/~toyland/ht/tips/Loewe_DealerManual.pdf
    It may help.

good luck
    mij

13. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    50Hz ProScan on the Loewe is activated by BYTE 5 BIT 2. BYTE 5 BIT 3 is 60Hz ProScan and should already be set to 1 (On) by default. By all means activate 50Hz ProScan but the TV doesn't seem to like it in most instances. On my own set (Aconda Q2500H), it scrambles the picture and is unusable. Others have reported similar problems while some have reported no problems. However, if the NTSC internal de-interlacing is anything to go by, you wouldn't notice any improvment even if the PAL setting worked.

Don't adjust your set according to that service manual because it's for an old US model Loewe and the majority of settings, Option Bits included, are completely different to those found on the Q2500B/M/H UK models.

14. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +619
    Thanks for that advice groundy, and sorry danlo, I didn't know that about the dealer manual.
    I got it from an earlier Loewe thread on this site.

mij

15. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My Aventos arrived yesterday and I have noticed similar problems too.

I've definitely got it setup in RGB, but when I turned on some football on Sky Sports this morning I noticed a general motion blur effect around the players - a bit like watching a low quality MPEG on my PC, but not quite as bad...!!

I've got all the digital effects turned off, but haven't changed the sharpness so that must be the default level whatever it is.

I will try some of the picture settings mentioned below and see if it helps.

16. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to all who replied to my message.
    I couldn't set up the scarts as the TV wanted because I have my Panasonic video controlling the Sky box – so I can tape from Sky while I'm out – and this means that I have to have the Sky scart in AV1, which the set-up doesn't like.
    I will try all the suggestions posted, but I am beginning to think that my set may be on the blink as the picture is definately worse at varying times, also I have noticed that the vertical picture movement function doesn't always work and I can't set the clock and date - it clears as soon as you turn off the set!
    I have an engineer from John Lewis coming round to have a look at it, but I don't expect much help from him, to be honest. So if anyone has any bright ideas, let me know. Oh, and to answer and earlier question (sorry I forget from whom and I can'g access the history at the moment) the picture is better , but not perfect, when watching videos and DVDs.
    Thanks again

17. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    AV1 isn't RGB compatible, is it? Think you may be watching in composite?

18. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought 1 and 2 were and 3 wasn't, but I could be wrong.
    I'll check with the manual - if it says!

19. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I assumed the same thing at first.

I've got my Sky and DVD daisy chained together into one scart (because my last telly only had 1 RGB socket) and I plugged them into AV1, but the picture was dodgy and very composite like. Plugged it into AV3 and it's now clearly RGB.

Try it. :)

20. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Sam, I'll give it a go!:clap:

21. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again to all who helped, particularly Sam. Yes, you were right, AV1 isn't RGB. I have now switched over the scarts, but haven't had any time to watch the set to gauge whether there is an improvement. Could having the 'wrong' set-up caused the problems with the clock and picture vert operation, too?
    Also, when I went to 'assign' the connections through the set I wasn't sure whether to set up my sky digital box as "satellite receiver" or set top box/dbox". Does it matter, is there a difference?

22. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Glad it worked! :D

I'm not sure about your clock problems - sounds like a fault with the set to me, but I'm not sure.

Don't think it matters what you call your sky box as long as you select 'RGB' from the menu to let it know what signal to receive.

23. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be thick, but I don't remember seeing an option to pick RGB and without the set in front of me, I can't check.
    Just in case I really am that thick, can you point me in the right direction so I don't have another frustrating evening with my remote control!!:confused:

24. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The way I remember it (I've only done it a couple of times myself) is that you go into 'connections' and it brings up a sort of wizard to guide you through the setup. If you say 'yes' I have a dvd or a sky box or whatever it then asks you how you will connect it - through RGB, composite, s-vid etc...

If it doesn't bring up an option for RGB if you select a satelite box, try telling it you have 2 DVD players as the RGB option is definitely there. Doesn't matter what the TV thinks it is connected to as long as it's RGB!! :)

25. Paperboy

Paperboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I'll give it a go!