Pixelate, Choppy, terrible picture

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by RoVic, Feb 9, 2009.

1. RoVic

RoVic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I live in the IP1 area of Ipswich, for a very long time I've had an on going problem with freeview.
    I have the Televes Dat45 aerial, a High Gain TV Booster Amp ( 2 TVs X 25 dB. and integrated freeview in a new Samsung plasma.
    i was having this problem with the old plasma, this is why i bought the high Gian booster (didn't Help) now with the new TV the problem if anything is worse. the channels that are bad are all ITV, 1, 4,5, ITV2, ITV3. all others are good. ie all BBCs and the rest. i really have no idea how to improve what I've already done !.
    so I'm looking for any advice, good or Bad !!!!! :lease:

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    You've got a good aerial there but is it installed properly? Are you positive the alignment is correct. It's not in a loft is it?

What kind of cable are you using for the downlead - is it brand new satellite grade stuff or was the old cabling in the house reused.

Finally, your booster - is it next to the aerial or is it at the end of the cable. If it's the latter, all you are doing is boosting the noise in the cable. Amplifiers in fringe areas should be of the masthead type and installed right next to aerial.

First thing I'd do - if it isn't already - is replace the downlead with a single length of good quality coax and run it directly into your main TV. If this solves the problem, you can then look at splitting the signal for your other TV.

Given that heights are involved, you might be better off just getting a pro to sort things out.

Steve

3. RoVic

RoVic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm using a top grad coax which was installed along with the aerial. i must admit if i run it straight to the TV the picture is much improved,

but then i have the problem with the second TV, the old one had a TV-in and TV-out, which was handy. do i need a good splitter for the second TV, by doing this would i be losing dB power to the main TV ?

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,300
    As I mentioned in my first post, you really should have your DA mounted as close as possible to the Aerial.

Can you mount it in the loft? Exactly which 'booster' do you have? Is it a proper commercial jobbie or something bought from a high street retailer?

Steve

5. radioredcat

radioredcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    The assume you are receiving the sudbury transmitter,ITV programs are on CH 68 a lot higher than the other channels see below and is also a 64 qam mux which needs slightly more signal than a 16 qam.

Freeview on Sudbury TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice, since 2002

Is your aerial wideband or grouped? Aerial amplifiers as said above should be close to the aerial and if you need to split the signal for more sets then one of these should suffice see below.

Labgear PUH141+PSM114V Variable Gain Masthead Amp Kit 4-Way - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

There are other makes of course but it's good example.

andy

6. Adrian_F

Adrian_F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    If you are having problems with CH68 then I wonder whether you are looping the aerial through a Skybox. The Digibox has a default RF output on CH68 which could cause you problems. If this is the case then the Digibox RF output needs to be altered to CH21 or thereabouts so as not to cause interference.

Services-4-0-1-Select-RF Outlet

7. joffy

joffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I live in the same area and also often have problems with those channels. It seems to depend on the weather. Sometimes they work fine, others no signal at all.

8. RoVic

RoVic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After having some a lot of problem, and taking the advice from members of the forums i decided to upgrade some of the hardware to my system.

This is the hardware i now have : removed a 10ft pole, replaced with a 20ft lightweight TV mast pole. Got new Labgear PUH 141 and PSM 114V masthead amp. PF100 black Satellite Cable. still using the Televes Det45 which was aliened with a new areal signal finder.

Ok, we installed all this gear, i have three Tv's running but i'm STILL having problem as before, the freeview picture on two of them is A1 but on my Samsung plasma theres very Little difference, at times its still very pixelating and very Choppy. i'm beginning to wonder if its the freeview thats installed in the samsung... apart from that i just don't know what alse i can do.... So again im looking for any advice :lease:

9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,187
    Can you borrow a freeview stb and connect it to the problem TV aerial connection and connect it by scart to the Samsung. If this works OK it points to a tuner problem on the TV

Last edited: May 26, 2009