Pixel+ - when do you reckon..?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bertha, May 19, 2002.

1. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Hello all - has anyone heard of a convincing date that Philips will be using their 'own' tubes in the 32" model - I'm seriously considering this puppy but won't have the baron greenbacks until late June/early July..I've considered all current contenders and quirks aside I think the Philips is the one for me..even if it's with the (sigh) Panasonic tube - after all the grass is always greener etc..

Any info - words of reassurance or don't be a fool comments welcome...

cheers

Berth

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm in pretty much the same situation as you Bertha. I saw a demo yesterday and I was quite impressed. When I buy mine though, I'll be using top quality sterling and none of that american green rubbish! :p

3. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    hehe....

4. ums69

ums69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you search forum with "pixelplus" you find at least 14 Topics about P+ and info about releases.

LG.Philips Display says in their pdf catalogue for release of HD Cybertube this year 2002. Read and dream....

http://www.lgphilips-displays.com/products/index.htm

In their pressrelease from januari it says ; In june the 28/32 and 36PW9527 will be released.

And from "Philips goes on record about use of Panasonic TV tubes" statement 2 may;

"When the new 28/32PW9527 Pixel Plus sets are launched in June we will use the very latest Philips tube across this specific model."

36" HD Cybertube release, 9527, maybe in july, probably in august.

READ THIS;
    http://www.industryweek.com/CurrentArticles/Asp/articles.asp?ArticleId=1231 (Thanks to Hasse)

And this;

Real-flat Cybertubes

The Technology Center has one production line for Large (28-inch/70-cm) and one line for Jumbo (32-inch/80-cm) color picture tubes, which can produce both 4 by 3 and wide-screen (16 by 9) formats.

During the opening of the factory it was stated that LG.Philips Displays decided to build the third production line in the factory. This line will not be an ordinary tube line - it will be making the most difficult and innovative picture tubes in the world; the state-of-the-art 32" real-flat wide-screen Cybertubes. The new line will be operational at the beginning of 2002, half a year in advance of its original planning (July 2002). As a result of this expansion of capacity, the total number of production lines will be three. The number of employees of the factory will grow to 1200.

And finally, The factory !

http://www.tebodin.cz/Obory/Elektrotechnika/Philips/philips.htm (Thanks to Hasse)

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just emailed Philips asking them to confirm if and when the 9617 will be available with the HD Cybertube in the UK. Shall post again when they reply... they say that it'll be in 24 hours.

6. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just got a reply from philips. Here's the original letter followed by the reply:

Dear Philips,

I am considering buying a new 32" 32PW9617 Pixel Plus television.

I was disappointed to learn that currently in the UK all such televisions are fitted with Panasonic's Quintrix F tube. Having viewed the television in comparison with the 28PW9617 which had a Philips HD Cybertube fitted, I must say that the picture from the HD Cybertube was much better.

Please could you confirm when the 32PW9617 will be available in the UK with a Philips HD Cybertube fitted and what is the best way to ensure I get one.

Thank you in advance.

Reply:

Thank you for your recent e-mail.

We apologise for any inconvenience you may be having.

All companies, including Philips, share parts to keep the cost of
    production down.

It is possible that when you buy one of our models it could have a
    Philips or a Panasonic tube.

I think you will find these tubes are manufactured to the same high
    standards and should not effect the quality of your picture.

Which ever tube you have in your TV it would be tested to Philips
    high standards with regard to quality.

There is no distinction between any model numbers to indicate which
    tube would be in a particular model.

I hope this answers your query.

:mad: This really drives me crazy. How can they say there is no difference in quality if the dot pitch is different with the two tubes! Also notice how they failed to answer the question asking when 9617s will be available with the Cybertube! I would not be particularly bothered if the tubes were identical in spec. but they obviously aren't! Philips are incredibly stupid if they think that customers will ignore things like this especially when they rubbish other manufacturers' tubes.:mad:

7. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thins you will find that that is the bog standard reply you will now get from customer services at Philips, due to the enquiry i made a few weeks ago and got John Archer from HCC to follow up on.

I was told from a later follow up phone call that the Customer help line would be updated of the situation of Pana tubes - but you can only expect them to be told the party line at this time - its best to ring them up and get them to dig further to find out when the Philips tube will be used.

May be worth reading this news article (letter #1 was mine :) )

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displaynews.php?id=1776

It does state at the end that when the new model numbers come out they will use the new HD cyber tube.

Did like the comment from Philips about when buying a new car if we check to see who makes the components - no - but if i buy a Audi i expect it to have an Audi engine in it ;)

Still i did purchase the 36PW9607C and it is a damn fine TV :)

Spike

8. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    spikeyboyo, I did check out your letter and the HCC article. I just thought that it may be worth having another go at Philips. Tried calling their "Customer Care" centre yesterday- the woman sounded like she had just got out of bed and didn't even know they had a model called the 32PW9616! I will try again soon- and I hope others do too, then perhaps one day we can get some sort of useful answer from them!

9. ums69

ums69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He he, I asked Philips in Sweden the same question and got exactly the same answer ! The best way to get the information about HD Cybertube is to put pressure to the local dealer.

After asking specially about 36" PW9527 with the HD Cybertube, I got the answer that it is available first in august according to the dealer that asked Philips Sweden.

After two Philips 36"PW9767 with P+, PIP and of course Quintrix F, (new one will arrive tomorrow and I dont think that it would be any better after looking at another 9767 in the store), I want to try a 36" with HD Cybertube. :D

10. disco

disco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1