1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel structure or dead pixels?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Roland @ B4, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Graham<br />What you are seeing is the structure of the LCD pannel. In the corner of every pixel is a small diode and running to each of these is a wire telling it to switch on or off, or a bit in between. The wires and diodes are black and show as lines around the pixels. Light is spilling around the black areas which is what you can see and because green is by far the brightest it's the most noticable.

I would say it's normal for an LCD.

You don't say how wide your screen is but if you sit 1.5 times your screen away and they disapear the fine.

But lets see if anyone who has a Sony VPLCX1 can shed any more light on it.

2. Graham02

Graham02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Sorry if this is a dumb question but maybe you can help!

I have a Sony VPLCX1 and when I get very close (i.e. under 4 feet) to my screen I can see dozens and dozens of tiny green dots all over the screen, some smaller than the actual pixel itself. If there's black, red or dark blue on the screen they disappear but if you see - for example - a face or pale blue sky they reappear.

I've only got one "dead" pixel which is green no matter what the colours on screen, so are these dying pixels or just a factor of LCD projectors? As I say, I can't see them at all when I'm 6-7 feet away.

Thanks for your help

3. Noel

Noel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Graham,

Hope you got my message re dead pixels. I can see the effect you're talking about, but only up close. Because I can't see it from my normal viewing position, it doesn't bother me. It's not a perfect scenario, but you pays your money......

In general, I'm very happy with the image the CX1 produces, though.

4. Graham02

Graham02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Noel

Cheers. That's all I wanted to know - that I didn't have the only CX1 with the dots! I must agree with you, the picture from a few feet away is amazing isn't it?

Thanks guys