1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel shape query

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Treworgey, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Treworgey

Treworgey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

I have another question. I am quite keen to be able to use a PC with a Plasma, for short periods. One thing I would like to be able to do is display digital photos. Obviously the best results would be obtained from a HD screen (too expensive at the moment for me), but my question is: Is the shape of the pixels important? It seems to me that the only displays with square pixels at the moment are SD 42" or HD 50". I guess there is some limit to how small the pitch can be made at present which prevents square pixels on a 42" HD screen? Is it ever likely that 42" panels will have square pixels and does it matter? I guess it just makes scaling easier and less error prone, but perhaps this is irrelivant when downsizing from 5MP images?

Any thought appreciated.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi again, you have hit the pertinent nail right on the head. Major issue, no way around it with your usual software. The aspect will be screwed up unless you have square pixels. The way to do it is with a non-native resolution. Usual one is 1280/720. This works, and on an HD panel looks very good. You can do it on an SD panel, it gets you more of a windows desktop at the expense of sharpness.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    You may also want to explore non-PC methods for viewing photos. For instance if the Pioneer XDE suited your needs this screen has a slot which accepts most memory card types (via adaptor if necessary).

Roku do what is essentially a very basic media PC (the HD1000) which connects to your plasma and among other things runs screensavers (cool fish tank type stuff) and displays digital content from your main PC (via LAN or WLAN) or from it's own built in memory card slots. It has aspect ratio control on photo viewing although not specifically for 1024x768 16:9 displays. Using the smartzoom command you can compensate but remember that your photos were never taken in 16:9 in the first place so you do always lose something (i.e. correct proportions, cropping the top and bottom or softness through rescaling).

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/hd1000/index.php

HTH

Liam

4. Treworgey

Treworgey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Liam for the link. A very interesting device. I have seen it in passing before, but that was before I was thinking Plasma and HD. The overlap with a HTPC adds another complication into the mix! I like the built-in screen saver idea and the fact that it is less likely to crash than a HTPC.

Decisions decisions - good job I don't have endless money to play with!

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I'm not sure that I would use it as a dedicated HCPC. It's still a box built to a price (although in the US they are loving it as a device to playback HDTV streams from their networked PC) so not to be confused with a PC built to extract every last ounce of quality from an image. Either way it is a very cool toy to have and covers your photo requirement quite nicely

6. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feed my Pio 43MXE-1 with a HCPC.
    so that's at 1024X768.
    It doesn't have square pixels.

- DVDs can be pulled and stretched with most software I use TT.
    - MS MediaPlayer 10 interstingly allows you to set the aspect "scale" (you pull a config circle about until it looks circular on your screen). So video files come out the right shape.

But getting pictures to not look "fat" has been evading me to. Any ideas? I generally use ACDsee to view images.

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    As posted above, you need to set your graphics card to 1280 x 720 meaning the screen we rescale the signal as it would a 720p one. Aspect ratio issue is fixed but you add scaling artefacts into the equation.

8. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    scaling artifacts?

"garlic bread?" no thank you! I'll have me photees look fat and my football watchable.