1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel refresh rates

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by treefrog, Feb 13, 2005.

1. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi
    Does anyone know a good site where I can compare the refresh rates of LCD TV's

Cheers

2. lz1cam

lz1cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi treefrog, sorry to ask you here as it is from your other thread.
    It is about the lowlight on watching. Were you actually able to overcome the problem and how? You may see what I experience in the previos thread you started on the topic.
    Greetings!

3. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK all LCD TVs currently refresh at 50Hz or 60Hz. There's no point in refreshing any faster since LCDs don't flicker. Also LC response time is still a bit too slow to make true 100Hz update worthwhile. However most LCDs support various PC refresh rates - eg. 75/85Hz

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I suspect Treefrog may have meant Pixel Response rates....

If this is the case, I am not aware of any one site with this information all lined up for you. The method I used was to decide using other parameters first then check the PR speed on the reduced number of selected screens.

Jimmy

5. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi

I'm looking for the pixel refresh rate. I have seen a few threads that refer to refresh rates of 16ms, 25ms, etc. My TV appears o be suffering from a slow refresh rate and I wanted to see how it compares to others.

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Kinda jumped in on top of you there Treefrog!

As it stands, 24ms is about the slowest acceptible PR. Most are commonly around the 16ms rate and the likes of the Philips and some others are aound the 12ms bracket. The Sharp seems to have a capability of running at 8ms for high action scenes - not sure why this PR rate is not used at all times.

Around the corner are LG/Philips new ClearLCD S-IPS screens which run at 8ms as a standard rate. These panels are already on the market in the USA with what looks like very promising Specs.
    http://www.syntaxgroups.com/

The next generation TV's from Philips should be available in a year or so and will hopefully be specified much like these Syntax Olevia TV's. Here's hoping!

Jimmy

7. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Jimsan

You've given me a pretty good idea of what I should be looking for.

Mark

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Don't believe pixels response rates. There is currently no standard for measuring these so comparing one against the other is meaningless - just like contrast ratio's. As I understand it, there will soon be a standardised test - hopefully that will sort out the confusion.

9. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Those Olevia specs look amazing. And a 37" coming soon. I am wondering though... If these S-IPS panels are so great and if they are made by LG.Philips, why isn't Philips using them in their current models? I also noted in a footnote in one of the PDFs that the claimed CR of 1200:1 is 'Dynamic' Contrast Ratio. No idea what they mean by that.

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    These S-IPS panels only went into full production in September last year. Syntax have snapped them up and got these sets on the market in double quick time. It's almost as if Philips are allowing other companys to do the field work before releasing them themselves later this year or early next year.

We all know that Contrast Ratio figures are to be taken with a pinch of salt...1200:1 sounds brilliant, but we'll wait and see.....

Jimmy

11. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6