1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel Plus standby problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ChestFreezer, Mar 2, 2003.

1. ChestFreezer

ChestFreezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first Philips Pixel Plus 32PW9527 broke down after 6 months (13/1/2003). After a failed repair attempt, the dealer replaced it with a new one (25/2/2003). When this new one was switched off via the remote control and left in standby, after a while (random - anytime between 15 mins to 3 hrs)the red standby light would start to blink and the set could not be switched on using the remote control. It had to be switched off and then on again using the switch on the set itself (red s/by light no longer blinking, switched on from remote!). The dealer agreed to replace the set AGAIN (1/3/2003)- but the replacement has the same problem! If left in standby, the red light will eventually blink continuously and the set will not switch on via the remote control. It appers to be a common problem - at least on my two sets. I have contacted the dealer who says he has also had this reported by a customer with the Dolby Digital version and is now trying to say that this is a "feature". I certainly don't think so (surely you should be able to leave a set in s/by for more than an hour or so?) and I've asked him to contact Philips to get me an answer. (I spoke to the customer help line earlier this week and they've never hear of this problem/feature and told me to go back to the dealer). My set is connected to a Philips VR830 VCR (AV -2 , SCART 'Easy-link'), Philips DVD-612 (AV3 SCART RGB) and Pace Sky digi-box.(AV1 SCART RGB) Anybody aware of this problem? What could make this happen? Is it just my setup?
    I like the set v. much - great picture and good looks - hence I'm putting up with this hassle. I've got a 5 yr warranty so maybe I'll put up with dodgy standby for now.:confused:

2. dedman

dedman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Don't have the manual at hand but try turning off the NexTView option in the installation menu. I have a 9617 and when this option was switched on the standby light flashes. Think this shows when it is gathering the nexTView data but as it isn't broadcast in this country the tv just seems to hang.

3. ChestFreezer

ChestFreezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dedman - I'll try what you suggest.

However - I also seem to have cured the problem by disconnecting the SCART lead to my VCR (Philips VR830) !!
    I suspect the Philips "Easy-link" feature is to blame. With the VCR disconnected, the TV stayed happily in s/by for 8hrs - no flashing s/by light - and switched on o.k. from the remote. I then hooked up my old VCR (10 yr old Philips, no "Easy-link") to the set (via SCART) and left the TV in s/by for 9 hrs - no problem !!

So, either the VR830 is at fault or there is an issue with the TV with NextView & Easy-Link. Annoyingly, I bought a Philips VCR specifically to be compatible with the TV remote :suicide:

Obviously, as I thought, the dealer was talking a load of rubbish telling me this was a safety feature :mad:

The problem I now have is sorting out who/what is at fault - the VCR was bought from Unbeatable but can I send it back as it may be the TV software that is at fault? Maybe I'll go to Philips - both items are under guarantee.

4. ChestFreezer

ChestFreezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This morning I spoke to the head office of the chain I bought my TV from, and they have now come back with a solution from Philips, quote: "Disconnect Pin 10 on the VCR to TV SCART lead".
    Rather limited in detail, not much explanation of what the problem is, but I'll give it a go.
    By the way, I'm also told that the flashing red s/by light is to indicate to the service engineer that there is an 'error'- in this case caused by some spurious(?) signal from the VCR.

I'll update this post when I've tried out the fix. :rolleyes:

5. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I think Pin 10 is "Clock Out" , not able to offer much more info than this .

6. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Off subject here, but I think ChestFreezer should remove his email address from his info. I know these guys are very friendly and very knowledgeable but having your email address shown in the "thread starter" as apose to ChestFreezer could pose you problem.

7. ChestFreezer

ChestFreezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, Colesy - the E-mail address is long since obsolote but was somehow also used as my user-name. I've now become ChestFreezer but unfortunately the old user name still appears on the thread list. :rolleyes:

8. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Okey Dokey,
    Sorry, but it was the first time I have seen and email as a username. :smashin: