1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel Plus 2 and Sky movies

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by steftymo, Jan 23, 2005.

1. steftymo

steftymo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Am I alone in thinking that the quality of picture of a typical sky movie is TOO good when in pixel plus2 mode ?

The reason i say this is that the picture does not look "filmic"(is there such a word).It seems more like a live digital video feed which for tv programmes is fine but when watching Matrix revolutions does not seem right.It's as if you are watching the film as it was shot .
    It is probably a personal thing but prefer to watch in movie mode(although there does not seem that much difference between the two modes)

What does anyone else think

Stef

2. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree there doesnt seem to be much difference between pp2 and movie mode in fact i dont really see any!!

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you find the picture is too crisp, then change it! Turning off the PP2 is one way, but just dive into the picture settings and soften it off to your own taste.

I hate to think what you guys are going to make of HiDef pictures if the standard picture is over crisp for you.

Hunterm8, if you punch the PP2 button on the handset and view the split screen demo, are you saying you can't see any difference between the left and right sides of the picture?

Jimmy

4. steftymo

steftymo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I find that when i view the split screen demo of pp2 the left screen (off) does look slightly blurred but when pp2 is actually off it bears no resemblance to this picture.
    Again I can find very little difference between movie and pp2 modes.

However when I select prog scan it changes too a more normal picture.This I find better for watching sky+ movies--personal taste I suppose.

Also I get too much pixellation around moving objects-not just ultra fast movements but say for example a person walking against a background or a hand movement-what suggestions are there to avoid this---setting active display to maximum or completely off ?

Thanks

Stef

5. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've noticed this too. It is a strange effect which is only really noticeable when somebody is walking in front of a complex background. I expect that this is do do with Pixel Response or broadcast quality. This is certainly not too noticeable with DVD output.

Have a fiddle with some settings and see if it can be reduced. I'll do the same here.

I don't quite know what the TV is doing when you watch an interlaced picture on the Progressive Scan setting! It certainly does soften and 'neutralize' the picture, but it certainly isn't a Progressive Scan picture. Interesting...

Jimmy

6. inventor

inventor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to get to the bottom of that one too. As you say, it only happens against some types of backgrounds so isn't simply to do with the rate of motion.

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's something to do with the complex backgound recovering after something passes in front of it. It doesn't concern me greatly as it isn't as apparent with really good signals.

Jimmy

8. Hunterm8

Hunterm8
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can see the difference with the split screen, but dont see any difference on full screen between pp2 and movie mode.

cheers mick

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've been looking into this, and I've come to the conclusion that the Movie Mode is in fact a version of PP2 with some subtle differences. Damned if I can see it either!

However, there is a difference between the PP2 and the Progressive setting. This setting definitely softens things dramatically.

So I tried popping into the Service Menu and I turned the PP2 off. This only allows you to go back to version 1 of PP and this really doesn't prove anything other than the PP2 is a vast improvement over PP1.

My guess is that whatever you are watching on this TV the PP2 is working - its just that it has different settings.

I've just had a dig through the manual and it says that Movie Plus is a version of PP2 but with reduced processing. This should be used to reduce the 'halo effect'. Hmmm. I wonder if the Halo Effect is what we were talking about a few posts up? Progressive. I suspect, will be a further reduction as it is designed to work with a better signal.

I'm going to leave it on Movie Plus for a while to see if I can see an improvement in the 'Halo Effect'!!!

Isn't this fun....

Jimmy

10. treefrog

treefrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I think I know what you mean, Tymo.
    I have had an original Pixel Plus TV for about a year now and have had the feature turned off for the last 11 months and 2 weeks.
    I find it even worse with DVD.
    I think the problem is that it sharpens images in background that are supposed to be out of focus thus creating a very flat image. I think another member on this forum explained it well when they said that people in foreground look as if they are superimposed onto the background. One of the first films that I watched on it was Terminator III and found the overall appearance to be much the same as an episode of Eastenders.
    Hopefully HD will not look as fake

11. busydoc

busydoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am so glad there are people around who feel the same. I have my 9986 for 3 weeks now and prefer to watch the movies in prog scan model,looks softer and movie like.
    treefrog describes it best . with pp2 on it looks like a home movie for some reason.

12. Random Hajile

Random Hajile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Does PP2 include the natural motion feature which basically increases the frame rate to make images movement more natural but ends up taking away the cinematic feel of films?

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    When the PP2 is in full swing, all the processing features are enabled. When you knock it back to Movie Plus, you are disabling some of the fine edge processing to give a more natural look. On the Progressive setting nearly everything is disabled which softens the picture dramatically and disables the pixel multiplication.

You guys who like this Progressive setting, have you tried running the set with the Movie Plus on but the sharpness set at 1-2. This allows the PP2 to do the pixel multiplying but softens the overall look. Better quality picture and more natural.

With a really good quality signal (ie DVD), it is possible to run with the Progressive Setting and produce an excellent, smooth picture.

Jimmy