1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel matching...

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Lone Granger, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    How does the output of a good digital camcorder compare resolutionwise with a top end HD Plasma (c. 2mpx?)

Am I right in assuming that a half decent camcorder would swamp even a HD Plasma?

Anyone any experience of playing digital camcorder footage on a serious top en DH 50" Plasma?

I imagine it would be stunning - is this the case - or just very good?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The problem here is getting the camcorder connected to any display at the best quality. AFAIK no plasmas (or any type of screen) has a DV input (aka firewire, ieee1394) so you will never get full resolution displayed on screen. You will only be able to connect cam to screen with bog standard composite or the better quality S-Video.
    Some of the newer Pioneer AV receivers have a firewire input and do output a component video signal, but I do not know if they can convert FW to component. If they do then this would be the best way to view your footage. If not then I think the best way to view would be to get the footage onto DVD and play back via a component connection.

Mark.

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    I have recorded semi - pro camcorder footage direct to DVD at nearly 10Mb/s and then fed it via component into a HD compatable 42 inch plasma. The results are very good - up to broadcast quality and better in most respects than $ky or Freeview, but the lens quality at the source has a major affect, obviously.
    High def from D-Theatre tapes eclipses all of the above though, as does normal D-Vhs at 14Mb/s which is obsolete in Europe, unfortunately.

4. Lone Granger

Lone Granger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks gents for helpful response

I have to say that I am somewhat dissapointed that a serious new age digital camcorder cannot exceed highly compressed (but still stunning) HiDef

Statistically, how do the signal qualitites compare?

JH4 - I understand there is a HiDef sub club sourcing and exchanging USA sourced material - who should I best contact re what is available?

Do you know anything about de-interlacing 1080p (which I believe is the best format available in pre-recorded D-Theater)

cheers