1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel magic systems vs Lumagen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cboy, Jul 7, 2005.

1. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    any1 got a plasma enhancer or plasma enhancer pro?
    are they any good?
    how do they weigh up to a lumagen dvi?
    just trying to clarify things before i take the big jump to scalerville
    any input suggestions would be greatlly appreciated

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Good question.
    Anyone seen any specs?

3. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    wheres piers or gordon when u need em?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I am not the man to comment on competitors products. It would be inapproriate. If you have specific questions about capabilities of Lumagen then feel free to email me or one of my dealers who will be happy to advise.

Gordon

Gordon

5. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanx gordon for your reply, all i was looking for was the pros and cons of each unit really

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    cboy

Looking at spec sheet performance as I've not had a chance to see or try out the Plasma Enhancer products as yet!

If your comparing a Lumagen VisionDVI (UK SRP £695.00) with the Pixel Magic Plasma Enhancer PE-1000 (UK SRP £900.00) you'd have to say the lack of user customisable output formats and no HDMI Input support on the PE-1000 makes it look poorer value for money.

I guess if one of the pre-set Output formats of the PE-1000 is a good match with whatever display you have then you can get into a discussion about the processing prowess of the VisionDVI vs. PE-1000 and which unit is the better performer with a wide range of analogue Input signals.

The lack of HDMI or DVI (with HDCP) Inputs on the PE-1000 is (to me) a big shortfall as more and more customers now have at least one source that's HDMI enabled.

Even the Plasma Enhancer Pro (UK SRP £1.5K) looks a bit lightweight for customers with HDMI sources as its 2 x HDMI Inputs don't currently support 480i or 576i - this make it look less useful to those with Arcam, Pioneer or similar DVD players that give you the option to Output an Interlaced signal digitally.

I'm not sure if the PE-10000 Pro firmware updates will include better support for HDMI source devices - I'll try and find out from the UK Distributor.

The inclusion of SDI Inputs on the PE-1000 Pro is a good move for those willing to consider an SDI modified source.

Overall I'd say on spec sheet performance the Pixel Magic units look expensive compared with the competition - though as ever the proof is in the pudding and possibly they can outperform the competition in key video processing areas and justify the higher price point for those whose source and display technology is a good match with the PE-1000 and PE-1000 Pro.

Best regards

Joe

7. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanx for the great reply joe

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    I am a Crystalio user and absolutely love the product, but I use the bigger unit.

I see you have a PW7, now my money would have to go with a Lumagen, with the HD formats arriving it would be nice to be able to scale DVI sources to your panels native rate at 60Hz, or if you can't live with FRC just tell it to ouput 576p@50Hz, at least you wil be able to view Pal HD if HDCP becomes a problem.

Not having FRC or scaling of HD sources on the Plasma Enhancers is a major F up in my opinion, and puts the Lumagen out in front. And at £695 for the DVI it is a no brainer.