1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel loss on a new plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by birdseed, Sep 24, 2005.

1. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :( Dear all,

I was in comet the other day and a week old 436 had already lost a pixel, it was illimunated bright green.
    The pv500 next to it was 8 wks old and had also lost one.
    I know theres nearly a million pixels on the screen, but is the loss normal, does it increase over time and where do you stand on warrantys, pioneers, panasonics or extended or otherwise?

It wont put me off buying a plasma but a good warranty may decide WHERE i buy it from.

2. peterakastorm

peterakastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it is actually a bit rare, to see dead pixels... or pixels that light up... I've never seen on, for instance...

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    Pixel faults on plasmas are relatively common. Most are generally there from new although they can appear after some use. All manufacturers have a specification beyond which they consider it a "fault" but this varies depending on the manufacturer and model. It's best if you can to see your particular set warmed up and working before you collect it as you may have difficulty returning it for just one or two bad pixels. The other alternative is to buy online and use the Distance Selling Regs to return it if there are any faulty pixels.

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    if the pixels are dead they will arrive dead or die within the first few hours of viewing.

they shouldnt die because they "run out" or anything

some manufacturers have a different policy for stuck (lit, like the green one you saw) pixels, than dead (black) pixels, because they are more noticeable, but for one or two they won't budge.

PS lcds suffer more from this problem in my experience

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    MAW, a respected poster, has commented on this.
    Hitachis can arrive with stuck/dead pixels which come good, I believe.
    Ask him :smashin:

But one or two iffy pixels is within limits.
    A bleeder, I know, but 1 dodgy pixel in a million aint bad, really, although it ruins your enjoyment.
    I do sympathise.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If I were comet, i'd whip those 2 off display! Stuck pixels do unstick and re-stick, dead ones are, well, dead. This is all plasmas, not just Hitachi. The example I gave was in fact a Fuji ALIS panel, sold as 'B' grade with 5 stuck pixels. a week after install it had only 1, so was a bit of a bargain!

7. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    My 7200 was delivered with 1 dead pixel, it was up near the top right of the screen so I wasn't bothered. You could only see it if looking straight at it and it was a brightly coloured and fairly regular piece of picture at that location. Looking at the screen, just a couple of inches either way it couldn't be noticed. It also falls within the top border of a 2.35:1 movie and the right side border of 4:3 viewing, so a lot of time it wasn't even noticeable.

I talk in the past tense about it as the screen developed a fault where it would sometimes turn itself into standby and refuse to come back on untill it had been turned off for about 5 minutes. New one is coming tomorrow so I have my fingers firmly crossed that the pixels will be fully functioning this time. I dread the thought of having one somewhere in the centre of the screen where the eyes are more usually focused.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The moral of the story is that you should ask the retailers & manufacturers about their dead pixel policy before you purchase a screen. My Hitachi 5300 has one dead pixel (actually it's only 1/3 of a dead pixel, because all three colours have to be dead to qualify, and mine is only dead on green).

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you can definitely refuse a dead or stuck pixel which is close to the centre of the screen.