Pixel Junk Monsters - Play & Help

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by theblacksheep, Jan 23, 2008.

1. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Anyone else tried this out on the Japanese store?

I had a go last night and thought it was an excellent little game, especially fun 2-player. Meant to be arriving on the US store thur.

2. Gunhawk

Gunhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +902
    yeah downloaded the demo last night, got really into it. A fun, simple and made you think (tactically) will be getting the full version when I can.

Was a slow moving game (breath of fresh air) but that may put lots of people off. reminded me of RTS games, i always end up building lots of turrets and battlements to defend my base on those types of games (Red laert, age of empires etc)...so this really appeals to me!

good stuff :smashin:

3. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    Yeah quite fun, played thru it a couple of times to try stuff out:

- all arrow towers, fine killing flying stuff (so AA towers not needed for the basic ones), but couldnt kill the big ogre-things fast enough. Did kill the boss just fine.
    - cannon towers, killed stuff really well, but you need a few due to slow rate of fire
    - flame towers, kick arse, especially if you use them in a corridor shooting at people coming towards you, but dont seem overly needed compared to using cannons
    - AA towers, good for what they are, but in the easy demo level you can get away with arrows.

So a mix of 4-6 arrows +6-8 cannons seemed fine to ace the demo level.

Also dont forget to stand on your towers to upgrade them, dont click (which uses a gem) just move and you will get a red ring (360 reference? :rotfl: ) and a bar to show how powered up it is. Cannons get stronger, while arrows get more range, etc. Flag strength is yellow/green/red/purple/black IIRC. A simple cheat to try stuff is play a two-player game and just have the second guy stand on towers while you run about collecting.

Placement-wise; cannons on the corners, with arrows nearby or on the thin long sides so they can fire both sides of the corridors.

Overall its a simple fun RTS, and i'll probably get the full game :thumbsup:

Anyone know if it's got online co-op?

4. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Anybody got any other tips for this?
    After looking at the high scores and my score I'm sure I'm missing something. :confused:
    I've got 4 rainbows by clearing 4 levels with out any deaths.
    But that's about as far as I've got so far.

It gets hard to turn it off once you start :)

5. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Such an addictive game!

My scores are anything but high so I cant offer much help.

Well worth £3.50 IMHO, its better than some of the full price Blu-rays!

6. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I'm loving it. By far the best PSN purchase I have made. It's a shame that there is no 2-player over the Internet or an option to see your friends ranking. The latter would have been really simple to implement and was a good feature when I had the 360.

7. iddqd

iddqd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    There is a filter on the Hi-Score screen to see your Friends scores :)

8. Jhuxley

Jhuxley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nice tower defence style game with a couple of novel twists. Well worth £3.50 even if you've played this type of game before.

9. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Can anyone tell me how to unlock the different weapons? I only have the 3 standard weapons unlocked (cannon, arrow & AA gun) :confused:

10. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    When you kill monsters, pick up the blue gemstones. Then go back to your base and press "X". This will give you a wheel to select a weapon to research and then be selectable in the game, eg: flamethrowers cost 13 gems to research, that is deducted and you'd need another 11 to research laser towers.

The other important thing to note is that researched weapons do NOT carry over to the next level, just in that discrete game. Saying that some levels have more or all weapons unlocked at the start, but again not based on your actions.

The only unlockables i've got so far are from completing the "Special" levels; Special 1 gives you faster running movement, by holding down the circle button, and Special 2 unlocks dropping mines, which costs 5 gems each! so not sure how worth thats going to be... Just starting on the hard difficulty ones now, so no idea what other bonuses you can get.

Great game, if you like that sort of thing, and recommend people try the demo on the Japanese store, then buy it!

11. Mickus

Mickus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    I'll give that a go instead of upgrading my current weapon set. Shame the weapons don't carry over. So is the flame thrower a good all-rounder for all beasties?

12. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    Flamethrower is good against groups of enemies coming straight towards it.
    Motar is very damaging, and arguably better than Flamethrowers
    Laser Towers rock against flying things, again get them walking straight at it

When you start getting shielded enemies, then you have to start picking the right towers, but for most Easy/Medium those three will do much better than the basic three.

13. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Works over PSP remote view too...

14. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    Yeah but it lags a bit.

I've unlocked Hard - Special 3, and it gives you a lightning tower that zaps every enemy on the board. It costs 13 gems(?) and in reality only hits once per wave, so the damage seems pretty low to be a must-have. Might be really good vs Easy/Medium levels, but on Hard it's something to buy after you've got whatever other upgrades you need.

Quite enjoying it, but it does require memorisation instead of on-the-fly thinking. Also no online co-op is disappointing.

15. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    That are my thoughts exactly. Still good fun and a lot of replayability to get the rainbows.

16. Teddy B

Teddy B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I can see myself wasting several more hours on this game, its so simple yet so entertaining; well worth the £3.50.

Two Player Coop can be fun

17. Jhuxley

Jhuxley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Could be useful laying them down by the base when a single monster or two makes it through your defences and is about to ruin your chance at a perfect rainbow? Not actually tried it, just a thought.

18. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    Yeah thats all i use it for - it has a surprisingly large blast area, maybe 3-4 bees wide?! and i totally killed about 12 of them once.

Been trying out the tower-types i didnt use much, as first time about i basically used the laser and flame towers as my only upgrades.

19. Jhuxley

Jhuxley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, thanks for all the tips Stinja, keep them coming...useful for those of us still working our way through the levels!

I tried out the bees pretty early on because they attack ground & air monsters and aren't restricted by range. They're not noticeably effective compared to say, a fire tower, but they probably make more of a difference over the course of a level if you know what I mean.

Pity you can't upgrade them though.

20. Widge

Widge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    This is a REALLY GOOD game. I've mainly been playing it on the PSP while madam has control of the TV.
    One of the Easy levels is quite fun... the one where things can come at you from all directions. I think I loaded the entire level with arrows, but still had one thing killed, maybe I needed to upgrade to a different weapon.

Not too sure of the effectiveness of the upgradeable weapons.

Had a go at Medium level too, that was quite difficult. All my bods got nailed by the boss.

21. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    Do you mean dancing/spending gems on turrets or researching new ones? It's always worth while dancing to get stuff to yellow, well maybe not arrows if they already cover what they need, and researching some stuff is essential to win med/hard levels (mostly flamethrowers and laser towers).

This guy did an excellent description of towers, and i agree with just about everything he's written: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/file/944234/51653

22. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    New Island to play soon, with Pixeljunk Monsters:encore.

- 15 new main levels on a new island
    - gameplay tweaking (freeze avail at start, tesla costs bugger all)
    - no new monsters

co-op monsters has been one of my most played game on the PS3 in recent months (more than GT5P before update, on a level with COD4) and is soo much better than most of the generic games they try to charge £50 for.

I've got all the rainbows in the normal game (co-op), but i'm struggling to get over 24,000 points in a 20 stream level....
    I dont know how some people have got 30,000!!!

23. sTaD

sTaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :thumbsup:
    One of the best PS3 games launched to date!!!

24. holbrook99

holbrook99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    im finding this game REALLY hard, even on the "easy" levels, ive completed 6 levels on the first island and 1 on the second and dont have a single rainbow?? any tips for me?

25. pbb76

pbb76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,509
    Might try this when I get my full broadband back - is it still worth getting, or is Eden better to wait for?

Also, are they adding Trophies to 'Monsters? If so, I'll definately get it!

26. theblacksheep

theblacksheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Not played Eden so no idea.

Monsters is an excellent game for its money (about £3?), played it for about 2 months solid, mostly trying to get perfect it in 2-player. Waiting for trophies and XMB support as the standard music can get to you after a 5hr stint.

The add-on island is ALOT harder to perfect than the first island, really struggling to keep and the little ones alive.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  27. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    PJM is a great game, and different from Eden, so i'd get both - assuming Eden is any good.

The second island i much harder, finish the first one first.

Unlocking the speed and mines are all but essential to rainbow the later levels, but you should be able to unlock enough from the easy ones. Generally play thru just trying to finish and come back to the rainbows later.

Flame towers and lasers and basically the best towers to use gems on. Sometimes the motar is a better choice over flame, and the odd map on the new island is well suited to upgraded tesla towers - but basically arrows, cannons, flames and lasers will be you staple towers thru the entire game. The Hive tower is surprisingly effective on certain maps, but takes more skill to apply it properly.

28. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    I finished this back in February and it was really compulsive, I stayed up way too late many a night trying to get rainbows on some of the levels. The one where there are only a few trees is seriously hard to get a rainbow. I must have spent 50 hours on the bloody thing and it would be annoying to say the least if you had to replay it all to get Trophies:eek:

29. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,181
    New patch due "sometime":

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=211346

There have been rumours of trophies for PJM, one of the devs alluded to this on their forums, so this might also drop with the difficulty level stuff?!

Not sure what the Extreme stuff will be - limiting towers or adding more monsters? The "problem" is more the trial and error nature, and having to have an exact setup of towers on particular trees isnt my idea of fun, which was needed for rainbowing some of the harder levels on the new island. Really i like to see the towers balanced more, and a mode where resources were more abundant so you can experiement. But more PJM stuff is all good!

30. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    It is great that they are updating it. Just adds to the value. It is still my favourite game but the second island is way too hard.