1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixel Check

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fjorko, May 10, 2003.

1. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Can someone please shed some light on what Nexnix actually does when they do a pixel check....

Obviously they need to unpack your brand new projector to check it.......but do they actually neatly seal everything again ?

And what prevents them from enjoying a nice movie on your behalf while they're at it ???

Almost feels like your PJ is second hand once you do get it delivered innit ?

I'm just very very set on new kit to be completely untouched before i get hold of it, but in this instance i guess it's something you just need to live with huh ....or face a possible dead pixel or two.....

And by the way .....what if they do find one with a dead pixel....do they send it back to the manufacturer...or do they sell it to the next customer that might NOT take out the dead pixel check ??

Makes you think ....doesn't it ?

Cheers

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

I have a friend who bought a Z1 from Nexnix with the pixel check.

Basically, they don't touch anything. All the leads, manuals and other bits and pieces are still sealed in their bags.

Apart from the fact that the box had been resealed, you would have no idea that it had been opened.

The lamp-life counter showed 1 hour.

I doubt they could send the failed units back to the manufacturer unless the problems were above the manufacturers own tolerance values.

I suppose this does mean that people who buy a Nexnix projector without the pixel check are more likely to get one with dodgy pixels than if they bought from a reseller that doesn't do any checks at all.

Perhaps someone from Nexnix could comment? I would be amazed if none of their staff frequent this forum.

Steve

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I had a Snayo Z1 delivered last week, prior to the order I spoke to Lucy at Nexnix what a pixel check constitutes. She advised me that yes they do a no show for a dead pixel check but also check for other things such as panel misalignement, dust and other things that can affect the odd PJ.

When it arrived, as new, not one finger print on the unit.

Hope this helps.:smashin:

Captain Benefit.

4. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    If one decides to NOT take a pixel check, and you do find one or two once it's set up at home.......will they accept it back for a swopout or not?

Cheers

5. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fjorko
    Why take the chance?
    £20 extra for a £1600 piece of kit is cheap for a bit of piece of mind.:smashin:

6. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah i know.....

How long do they say they have it switched on while checking for faults ? 1 hour ? 5 mins ? or what ?

7. Duncan Craig

Duncan Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've asked AV Sales about their pixel check policy and got this response:

we were in fact one of the earliest companies to offer pixel checks on LCD
    projectors but we have since learned our lesson! The problem is that any LCD
    panel can fail up to 6 months after you have begun using the projector. This
    kind of makes a pixel check pretty useless as we cannot even guarantee that
    it will be dead pixel free within 5 minutes of us checking it! What makes it
    even worse still is how gutted you feel as a customer that you have had a
    pixel check yet it has still developed problems a week or two later!!

If you do have any dead pixels we will usually try to take it back even if
    it falls under the manufacturer specification for doing so, but this would
    still be impossible for us to do if it were for only one dead pixel. If it
    is likely to be a worry for you then I would respectfully suggest you
    purchase a DLP projector such as the Infocus X1 or the Sharp XV91.

regards
    Liam

Maybe I'll go with Nexnix as well.....

8. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah and then sit with all the lovely rainbows all over the place !!!!!!

9. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The pixel check is an interesting animal :)

The fact that nexnix and others offer it says to me that the number of duff pixels occuring in the current faves must be very low.

And certainly if a projector fails the pixel check, with say one bad pixel, what happens to that PJ? The manufacturer won't take it back with just one... Does it end up in the bin, I doubt it ;) I think it would be a very silly thing to buy a PJ from a supplier who does pixel checks, without paying for a pixel check :)

My AE300 has a mutant pixel, not stuck, but comes on full blue when driven, took me two months to spot it and I was looking :)
    It would have passed any casual pixel check a supplier would do, which is fine as the problem is not perceivable unless you are within 2ft of the screen.

And remember if you buy something from an online retailer you can reject it within 14 days (by the letter of the law it's 28 but the sooner the better if you want an easy life ;) ) for any reason under distance selling regs, not necersarily good form, but that's one of the aspects that online retailers have to commit to when they opt for the low-overhead online business model.

-- Jon

10. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all

I bought my HS10 from Nexnix and had the deal pixel check done while I was there. It basically took about 20 min, one of the guys there opened the box and ran the projector through a Laptop with a powerpoint presentation with slides of each of the colours.

I spoke to Russell (the boss) at Nexnix for a while and I would be shocked if they tried to sell a PJ that had shown up with Dead Pixels, I found them to be one of the best companies that I have ever dealt with.

Cheers

ben

11. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Do they handle the projector with care ???? I mean do they handle it carefully like you would you own new kit ( you know how it is when you get new toys ! :) )

Obviously i would hope so, but if the PJ doesn't belong to them .....why would they ?

I know i should probably chill out and just let them get on with it once i do decide to buy it . . . . . . .. . .

I'll just fade into the background and chill !
    It's obvious many of you have had this done, and you're not complaining.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I would be extremely surprised if they didn't. After all, I shouldn't think they wish to increase the risk of DOAs or retruned items. It is in their interest to treat them with kid gloves and having met Russell (NexNix owner) I truly believe they would treat them with the utmost care.

Take a chill pill, relax and have some belief in these people :)

13. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi

I totally agree with Messiah, Nexnix and Russell are a great company. If you have issues with them opening it you could always take a trip down there check for yourself.

Regards

Ben

14. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds to me as if the term "pixel Check" doesn't realy cover what it is .. it sounds more like Pixel, dust and general well being check.

Wouldnt it have to be " As new" i.e. not with 00's of hrs on it.

15. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely, if it has more than 10 minutes use or has the mearest sign of damage on it. A supplier is much more likely to:

a) Make a fuss.
    b) Have a valid point ;)

The distance selling regs are hard enough to get suppliers to accept as it is, exploiting them for neferious means (ie as a cheap two-week loaner) just makes it harder when you are a legitimate returner.

I don't think it would be that unreasonable for them to sell a PJ that had dead pixels (within manufacturers tolerances obviously). Either the supplier has to shift it, or they will return it to Sony who will shift it on to another supplier, at some point it will end up in the retail channel again. I seriously doubt they'll end up in landfill (Although if you live near NexNix it might be worth checking their wheely bins :D :D :D :D :D )

As I said in my original post, I think that bad pixels must have been all but eliminated for the pixel check service to be viable at all. It would be interesting to know what proportion of units fail the check :)

-- Jon

16. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At the end of the day, it's an absolute joke that anybody wanting to buy a projector should have to worry about dead pixels!! When you buy anything new and at such a high price, it should work perfectly!
    When somebody buys a chair, do they have to keep their fingers crossed that it turns up with four legs?

17. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Couldn't agree more.

18. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe, fine in theory. But of course in practice it's all in the technology, if it was easy to create 3 LCD panels with a million pixels each perfectl every time, that's exactly what manufacturers would be doing.

I think it's pretty amazing that there are so few dead pixels ;), the process has improved immensely to the point where bad pixels are the exception rather than the rule.

If all LCDs with even a single defect were rejected then that cost would have to be passed on to the customer.

In the end I'd rather have a projector that I can afford to buy and play the pixel game, because a projector that is still in the shop that I can't afford to buy is even less use to me! :D

In summary:

Either, hand over the £20 for a pixel check and enjoy the peace of mind.

Or, go to a cheap reputable supplier and play the pixel lottery, you'll either end up :D or :mad: but definately a hundred notes better off ;)

-- Jon

PS Out of interest there's a post over in the Komplett forum of DVD times that states that Panasonics policy for the AE-300 is up to 4 blue, 1 red and 0 green pixels are within spec.

PPS if it bothers you that much you can always go DLP (can have dead pixels but one is enough for an RMA) or CRT. :)

19. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, especially as some (most actually) receive pixel perfect units.

I wouldn't be very pleased (deliberate understatement) if my neighbour rec'd a perfect unit while I had several faulty pixels, especially having paid the same price.

The arguement from the manufacturers is that to discard any defective panels so as to guarantee 100% perfect units reach the end users would result in a major price increase for everyone.

Understandable, but not agreeable to me.

Still, putting > 1 million pixels into a panel < 0.5 inches wide is an achievement IMO, not to mention Sony's new XRD panels with > 2million pixels per panel :eek:

Well worth the extra few quid to be guaranteed a perfect unit.

20. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I've read elsewhere that even DLP units can have faulty mirrors which is the equivalent of faulty pixels on an LCD unit.

What bothers me most is the different attitudes between manufacturers to this problem. Surely, if a buyer finds faulty pixels and is not happy with that they should offer a replacement rather than taking a tough stance and saying 'tough', which many of them do up to a certain number.

It may be fine in the corprate market where the odd dead pixel would likely not be noticed or cared about by an audience sitting through a presentation but for an individual who pays hard earned cash for their dream unit they really shouldn't have to put up with it.

Why don't we start a new weekly draw called the 'Pixel Lottery'? If you find you have 100% perfect pixels you win the prize, or rather you've already won it as you have the perfect unit.

If you lose you get to play another lottery - getting the manufacturer to do something about it :)

21. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want a real laugh check out the ISO standard for dead pixels on LCD monitors: madness

50 dead pixels anyone? :p

Class II looks 'reasonable', all the retail monitors I've found that specify it have been at class III.

-- Jon

22. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    What a fantastic representation/explanation of this.

Mods, any chance the pixel fault part cane be made as a sticky link at the top of this forum?

Nice one gothmog. Here's hoping my next one is a Class I device :)

23. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I thought the distance selling regs specified 7 days for a return..?

24. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could well be, if I was going down this route I would turn it round ASAP to avoid trouble anyway.

-- Jon

25. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Distance selling regulations state that an item must be in unused/as new condition.

Breaking the seal on a box invalidates this.

Not really suitable for rejecting due to pixel defects.....

26. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly wouldn't recommend it as an intentional means of getting a 'cheap' pixel check :)

As for the act, from the english translation of the legal speak.

"The aim of the cooling-off period is to give consumers an opportunity to examine the goods or services being offered, as they would have when buying in a shop."

I would say that that was impossible without opening the box, does it extend to powering it up and trying it... well as always it's suitably ambiguous. :D

I'd probably try anything if I had a handful of bad 'uns ;)

-- Jon