Pixel C / Tab S3 / Z4 Tablet or Windows 10 convertible?

WhyAyeMan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Alright AVers, I'm after a sofa surfer. Must have a nice screen, be fast, decent battery life, good keyboard and touchpad if present. Gaming ability nice to have but not essential.

So I've just moved out from a flat into a large house with the Mrs. I have a nice desktop gaming rig in my own man-cave, but I would like a device I can use elsewhere in the house, one that doesn't irritate me; I currently have an Acer Chromebook R11, nice enough for what it is, but slow and low res screen, crap touchpad. I also have a Hudl2. Slow and outdated OS.

Don't want an iPad (Mrs already has one).

So it comes down to a decent Android tablet or a Windows 10 convertible.

The main options I see for Android Tablets are the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Sony Z4 Tablet and Pixel C. My reservations about the Galaxy Tab is the OS and the Touchwiz skin or whatever its called now. I've got a S7 Edge and Samsungs software still isn't the best IMO. The Z4 seems a bit more pared back in comparison but both will suffer from untimely updates. The Pixel C wont have that problem, but its a hell of a lot of money for a 16 month old device that could be replaced at any time.

These tablets are expensive enough that you may as well consider a Windows 10 2-in-1 device. There are a few choices out there and so I would like the opinions of anyone who may be using one in my price range. I wouldn't want one with a poor screen, crap touchpad or a slow processor so are there any standouts for the price. Would really have to cap my budget at £700 at the very most, but would obviously rather spend less.

Any thoughts?

Depends what you're after, I just got my son a A grade used Tab S2 from cex for £230, managed to get the price down a bit by trading in some old phones, tablets, etc. It's the 2016 model and has the snapdragon 652 processor, 3gb ram, and is pretty nippy and in pristine condition. I'd imagine the 9.7 inch model is just as good if you want the extra screen size. I was setting the tablet up for him this morning and was quite impressed... it's very fast to start and a breeze at switching between apps.

You mentioned looking at the Tab S3, it's very expensive at £599 though it only comes in the 9.7 inch size I think. Side by side with the S2 it was a no-brainer for me, the S2 more than met the requirements of what I wanted to use it for. While buying the way I did isn't for everyone, the price I got it for is more than worth a try I think! You could always return it if you weren't happy anyway and get something else.

Thanks mate.

I found an i7/8gb/250ssd/touchscreen variant of a Dell xps13 for a very good price, less than the tablets I was considering so I've gone for that. OK I've forgone the convertible aspect but I couldn't find anything with a spec as good for what I paid. As long as it works OK I'll be happy. Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom