1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pitfall of buying from ebay, are there any?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Kaz, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when buying subs?
    Am demoing a REL stampede at the mo, but can't help but think my pennies would go further on e-bay.
    For less I could get a Strata II.
    Any horror stories of a) damaged or exhausted old subs b) going for an old model sub you can't demo and it not being any good in your room?

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I bought my first sub from eBay and it was as good as you could expect. The usual pitfalls of cowboys/misselling are as true for subs as they are for any other aspect of eBay so you need to use your own judgement and a sellers feedback to help make your decision. Don't overlook the forum classifieds either as you can be fairly sure that the equipment will have been well looked after there.

There's really very little you can do about your point b) though I'm afraid as it's the nature of buying second hand without a demo. :)

3. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,824
    Ebay is pretty safe when buying kit like this so long as:

a. You dont pay up front
    b. Don't have the sub shipped
    c. Collect in person
    d. Have a demo and take some material you're familiar with.

A blown/worn out driver would be the likely biggest problem, but a quick demo will sort that out:)

4. Kornmong

Kornmong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ebay is pretty good I have bought and shipped all my goods from Australia, things including woofers, subwoofer amp modules and bookshelf speakers and they all turned up in perfect nick a week later.

5. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Think of ebay in terms of all the different kinds of people who use it.
    From the innocent air-head who couldn't pack something safely if his/her life depended on it. :rolleyes:

To the outright criminal who's only interest is a fast buck at your expense. :eek:

And all those in between who are just like you and want to do the best they can for you in exchange for a fair price. :)

Having bought from this forum's private ads I have to say that even that is no guarantee of satisfaction. Some people will do anything for an extra tenner (or two) on the deal. :mad:

Nimby

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've bought and sold several speakers on eBay and the most important thing is the packaging. If they still have the original packing then getting the speakers/sub shipped shouldn't be a problem. OTOH if the seller doesn't have the packing then assume they'll just use any old cardboard box to hand, a thin layer of bubblewrap and the speakers will turn up damaged.

As for age, I've just bought a pair of 20+yr old speakers and they're still in fine condition. Just use your common sense as to how much you trust the seller.

7. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Go and collect what ever you buy.....its the safiest option.
    I have just brought 2 servo 15's from ebay and collected both.
    I'd rather collect if buying, or have collection in person if i'm selling.
    It's a lot easier than taking a chance on the couriers and it was a lot cheaper for me to go and collect, than pay to have them delivered.

Although i have had quite a few expensive items sent by post from e-bay and they have all turned up in good condition, but i did not want to chance it on the sub's.

8. Kaz

Kaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replys chaps! I'll keep watching for what I want then...