Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pitch Black - Worst Case EVER!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ace007, Oct 29, 2000.

1. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mickrick,

I noticed this as well, I had to pull the DVD from the case it did'nt want to let go!

I hope NO companies decide to use it. I will have to buy a new empty case to replace it in case the DVD gets damaged when being removed!

Cheers

Ace

2. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought Amaray cases were all the normal popular ones. Irrespective of the inner 'holding' mechanism. If not, then please correct me. And what is the difference ?
    I broke off all but two opposite clips in my copy, BTW.

3. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21

Amaray is actually a brand name and they make the cases with the "push-button" centre, you know, the ones that look like a yin/yang symbol and say "push here". IMHO, these are the best ones.

These new cases (which I hope generate enough flak to ensure they are NEVER used again) are the absolute pits. They're the equivelant of black jewel cases.

------------------
    You tried and failed miserably. the lesson is - Never Try. Here endeth the lesson.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other (named brand) black plastic case is the 'Alpha' with two tiny 'pinch buttons' in the centre and a 'lift here' cut-out at the top of the rim. Not sure whether the new type(s) have a name.

I know what you mean mickrick, anything that isn't an Alpha or Amaray is awkward at best. I've not had a broken disc yet, but the day can't be too far away.......

------------------
    "I amaze myself sometimes, I'm always thinking"

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Amaray (eg. Columbia TriStar UK) and Alpha (eg.Fox US use these)

Now the Pitch Black case mentioned that has eight small grips is an Accura case. It's best to cut alternate grips off. as it should still be able to hold the disc well (try cutting 2 off first to see if it helps)
    Universal US seem to use these cases now.

6. mickrick

mickrick
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just got Pitch Black yesterday from MOVIETYME, the case is absolute CR*P! The huge claw holding the disc in place refused to yield and I ended up breaking one of the pieces off (the claw, not the disc [​IMG] ).

I notice that HCCO's review states it comes in an Amaray case, it doesn't. I just hope that all new Universal releases don't come in these cases.

------------------
    You tried and failed miserably. the lesson is - Never Try. Here endeth the lesson.

7. Matt @ DVD Debate

Matt @ DVD Debate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree completely, I used a screwdriver to push all the "clips" in a bit, just to loosen it up.

8. Blade

Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone point me towards a site with info on the different packaging available?
    Thanks

9. neilbennett

neilbennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Opening and trying to free the disc from it's case was more entertaining than the film.

IMO

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I've caught my 2 1/2 year old daughter with a disc out of the case trying to feed it into my DVD player with jammy fingers !! With the tricky cases she can only spin the discs as fast as she can ! Which is better, I think.