1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pitch Black - Which version to get?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Indiana Jones, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,301
    I noticed that in the UK, Pitch Black has just been re-released but I also noticed that in the US they have released 4 new versions of the film.

As I have never owned Pitch Black on DVD before, which version is the best to go for as the new re-releases seem to be missing some of the extras from the original release but the re-release seems to have exclusive extras not on the original release.

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My opinion is this, go for the old DTS release as i'm sure this version will now be selling cheaper in some places ( assuming its still selling ) the DTS soundtrack is superb and more open and spacious than the Dolby equivalent, there are some subtle surround effects which sound better with the DTS option engaged and lower deeper, cleaner bass.

3. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +440

No way!
    The DD EX sound is much better than the DTS sound.
    The Surround Back adds much more to the sound than the Std DTS (5.1) track.
    All IMHO of course.

If you have not got 6.1 sound (I know DD EX has encoded SB in the rears :rolleyes: ) then the DTS sound might be better for you, then again it might not.

In this case DD EX rules. :clap:

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,301
    I just have a normal hi-fi hooked upto my DVD player so cant take advantage of DTS so its not a major thing with me, what I wanted though was the best version of the film and the best extras, now I know that a Directors Cut is available in the US but is that same DC available in the UK?

If not then which R1 release would be best, the original DC or the new re-release DC?

5. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So it has Dolby 6.1 EX on it ? the packaging doesnt state this ?

If it has 6.1 Dolby EX then does anyone know if it has DTS 6.1 ES Matrix ?

I don't have 6.1 capability just yet.

The Region 1 version is longer than the UK version and is the same version as the old DTS release with the added extra of an additional commentary and some Chronicles of Riddick teaser stuff, try this site for comparison.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=346

If price isnt a factor and you don't have DTS capability then the new release is better value for money as long as you get the Region 1 version.

Having said all the above the new release in America looks like it contains the DTS track and additional extras anyways so you can't lose go for that one.

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,301
    I was actually going to get the R1 Directors Cut but then noticed that some of the extras on the original release are not on the new re-release, are the missing extras anything special because I could always buy the original R2 release for £4.50 and get the new R1 Directors Cut but if the extras are nothing special I wont bother.

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't buy Region 2 its the 104 minute version, get any of the unrated Region 1 editions as theyre all longer.

dunno about extras i rarely watch them look at the link i provided for review comparisons.

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,301
    I would only really be getting the R2 version for the missing extras, not the film that is whyt I would also get the new R1 Directors Cut, then I would have all the extras and both versions of the film but if the missing extras which are on the original release are nothing special I wont bother, that is what I really want to know, are the missing extras worth £4.50?