Pit bulls as pets

I thought Pit Bulls were banned in the UK.If not, they should be:thumbsdow
I agree that they should be banned and there have been many calls to do so, but I think there would be problems with the legal definition of a Pit Bull that had been cross bred.

They seem to be popular with drug dealers, and - as with the keeping of large snakes, tarantulas etc. - people with severe personality defects. I suspect the way that they are treated is as much as factor as the inherent nature of this breed.

I believe that many pet insurance policies exclude Pit Bulls, certainly as far as third party liability is concerned. It isn't difficult to see why.

Having said that, I wouldn't leave any dog alone with a child.

I agree that they should be banned and there have been many calls to do so, but I think there would be problems with the legal definition of a Pit Bull that had been cross bred.

They seem to be popular with drug dealers, and - as with the keeping of large snakes, tarantulas etc. - people with severe personality defects. I suspect the way that they are treated is as much as factor as the inherent nature of this breed.

I believe that many pet insurance policies exclude Pit Bulls, certainly as far as third party liability is concerned. It isn't difficult to see why.

Having said that, I wouldn't leave any dog alone with a child.

They are illegal, Dangerous dogs act 1991:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/domestic/dogs.htm

But when you see statistics like these then why does anyone choose to have them as a pet?

I suspect it's a macho thing for many people. My dog's 'arder than yours.

I used to visit an old mate who lived above some shops and the only entrance was via a back alley. But half the time I had to watch out for this Japanese Tosa that a neighbouring family let loose there. Scared the crap out of me.

I have always thought that type of breed of dog should be kept well away from kids. In my opinion they are no more than "a shark on leash". My condolences for the family concerned.

My condolences to the family :(

I would also like to add, for people to not only look at the dog but alos their human owners

This is why I don't own cat/dog. No matter how much you train it, its always going to be an animal. Once those animal instincts kick in you've had it.

Really sad :(

This is why I don't own cat/dog. No matter how much you train it, its always going to be an animal. Once those animal instincts kick in you've had it.

Really sad :(
we alway had cats without any problems other than scratching furniture ,carpets etc. Much easier than dogs just not so respnsive

Whilst that may be true up to a point, it would be as unfair to label all animals with the same tag as it would be to do likewise with humans. I would say that in general humans do far worse things to animals (and each other) than vice versa.

This is why I don't own cat/dog. No matter how much you train it, its always going to be an animal. Once those animal instincts kick in you've had it
I don't think you can label all domestic pets like that

Leaving aside exotic pets for obvious reasons, only a few breeds of dog will ever be dangerous to humans. I have a friend with a rottweiler (spelling?) which is surprising - in the respect that it is quite friendly given the reputation of the breed. Part of it is the dog (pit bulls), the rest is human training. That is the sad part for me

Whilst that may be true up to a point, it would be as unfair to label all animals with the same tag as it would be to do likewise with humans. I would say that in general humans do far worse things to animals (and each other) than vice versa.
Yes, but what I'm trying to say here. Is that when you have an animal in the house, there is some sort of pecking order (or thats what it appeared to, to the dog) now when a new person enters the family. The dog will automatically assume that it is above that person hence, why it thinks its allowed to be rough with that person - the same kind of behaviour you see in the wild.

Another problem that I often see is when people treat pets as people. That I can't just believe. A pet is a pet. Thats it. The minute you start treating a pet as a human equal - I will gurantee you will have some sort of trouble sooner or later.

To own pet you must ensure that you train it properly. You must ensure that, the pet knows its place. 99% of the problems you see with pets is down to poor training/mis-handling.

It's often the dogs that are percieved as most dangerous (rottweilers, german shepard etc), that are the most responsive/friendly dogs when trained properly.

now when a new person enters the family. The dog will automatically assume that it is above that person hence, why it thinks its allowed to be rough with that person - the same kind of behaviour you see in the wild.
Yes, resentment/jealousy of a new addition to the family is often cited (probably correctly) as the cause of attacks by dogs on young children.

Another problem that I often see is when people treat pets as people. That I can't just believe. A pet is a pet. Thats it. The minute you start treating a pet as a human equal - I will gurantee you will have some sort of trouble sooner or later.
I always treated my dog as if he was a child. It probably wasn't the best approach (made him quite demanding and dominant), but it never caused me any trouble or regret.

The trouble is, as those statistics show, that the Pit bull as a breed is manifestly unsuitable as a family pet! The other 'dangerous' breeds such as the German Shepherd and Rottweiler are dangerous due to their huge size and strength. As someone said, Singh400 I think, if those breeds are trained and treated properly, and of course treated with the caution you should use with any animal, you won't get problems. The Pit bull and the various smaller cross breeds with bull terriers are, as they guy states in that report, unpredictable in the extreme, violent by nature, and I would never, no matter how well one has been 'trained' leave one with only an elderly person to watch it, and a small child.

They are, as someone else said, bought for one reason - machismo. Just listen to, and check out, the majority of the owners............:rolleyes: In our area they are a :censored: menace. If your dog is going to be attacked by another without warning you could lay the lottery winnings on it it will be a bull terrier. :rolleyes:

Most of the time it is poor training and leadership, these dogs need strict training and if the owner isnt upto it the dog will become unruly and unpredicable. The tougher you are with dogs the more they love and respect u, do the oppisite and they will see u as a thing to rule and show u and others no respect.

Most of the time it is poor training and leadership, these dogs need strict training and if the owner isnt upto it the dog will become unruly and unpredicable. The tougher you are with dogs the more they love and respect u, do the oppisite and they will see u as a thing to rule and show u and others no respect.

You sure about that? Do you own a dog? Animals especially dogs do not respond to 'toughness'. Be firm yes, be 'tough' and you will only create a nervous, skittish animal that is more likely to bite. I have owned Dobermans for over 25 years and it is only with training and kindness that you create a gentle and trustworthy animal.

What is most tragic in this whole story is that the uncle who owned the dog had been warned officially by the council about his dog's aggression. I feel so sorry about this poor little girl - it is a tragedy that could have been so easily avoided.

Found this quote on the site the op linked to.

However, while banning the pit bull might lower the number of human deaths, such a ban would probably not reduce the number dog bites in any significant manner. After the United Kingdom banned pit bulls in the 1990s, a study showed that the number of dog bites remained the same even though the number of pit bulls had steeply declined.

As a father of 2 young children who desperately want a pet dog I am somewhat reluctant at present. :confused:

I think,even more relevant,is this extract from the report

"If almost any other dog has a bad moment,
someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the
actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a
Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed."

I am a dog lover,I've always had a dog of some sort.Our beautiful Spinone died recently.She was the size of a small pony and 42kg with not an ounce of fat on her.However she was as gentle as a kitten and in her 10 years I never saw or heard her threaten anything other than the odd Tulip (don't ask).I'm not trying to put anyone off dogs,I think they are an essential part of a family and can teach children a great deal,but many people seem to be incapable of choosing the correct breed or type of dog to fit in with family life.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom