• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pirates of The Caribbean Trilogy (which one)?

marcaaron22

Established Member
I was watching the 1st Pirates of The Caribbean last night on BBC One HD and I really enjoyed it, I am now wanting to buy the blu ray trilogy boxset but not sure which to buy

My questions are:
1. Should I get the 2008 edition or the new 2011 edition?
2. The UK or the US version? (I have a region 2/B blu ray player) I am wanting the 24bit audio version, or is the UK version ok for this?
3. Is the trilogy boxset best or it best to buy them individually? If so, UK or US version?
4. What is this frame problem with one of the versions?

I know these questions may have been asked previously on here but I just want to be absolutely clear without getting confused with all the different versions and opinions

Just want to get down to the bottom line..
'which version to buy?'

Thanks in advance,

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

Owen824

Prominent Member
I was watching the 1st Pirates of The Caribbean last night on BBC One HD and I really enjoyed it, I am now wanting to buy the blu ray trilogy boxset but not sure which to buy

My questions are:
1. Should I get the 2008 edition or the new 2011 edition?
2. The UK or the US version? (I have a region 2/B blu ray player) I am wanting the 24bit audio version, or is the UK version ok for this?
3. Is the trilogy boxset best or it best to buy them individually? If so, UK or US version?
4. What is this frame problem with one of the versions?

I know these questions may have been asked previously on here but I just want to be absolutely clear without getting confused with all the different versions and opinions

Just want to get down to the bottom line..
'which version to buy?'

Thanks in advance,

i just picked up the new version trilogy in the hmv deal.

it depends on what you want. if you only want the movies then the new one is perfect. slim box with 3 slim cases with just the films. :smashin:

if you are one of the people who like individual ones with their own slips then buying individually is the way to go and more expensive but you also get all the extras on another disc.

the earlier trilogy has some problem with the scene with will and the other guy sword fighting in the barn. it just shows there feet and their heads are cut off. if you happen to go for the earlier one and it has this issue you just send the disc off and they replace it. :smashin:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
marcaaron22 said:

Only the US release has 24bit, the UK releases are 16bit and while 1 & 2 are region free the 3rd film is region A only.

marcaaron22

Established Member
Indiana Jones said:
Only the US release has 24bit, the UK releases are 16bit and while 1 & 2 are region free the 3rd film is region A only.

Is there any noticeable difference between the 16bit and the 24bit audio? I am using a pioneer VSX1018ah-k AV receiver with Tannoy mercury custom speakers (7.1 setup) and an Epos ELS active subwoofer

Would I notice anything (or lack of anything) in audio?? For example background sounds etc from the surround and surround rears??

Owen824

Prominent Member
i think you would be hard pressed to hear a difference between the 2...

marcaaron22

Established Member
So bottom line is:

1. If I want just the 3 films without the extras and without the possible frame problem, get the new 2011 trilogy

2. If I want the 24bit audio get the US version of either the 2008 or the 2011 version

3. If I want the extras get the UK or US version from 2008 with the possibility of getting the frame problem

4. Scrap the US version of either 2008 or 2011 as I only have a region 2/B player, cos the 16bit vs the 24bit isn't really noticeable

Which one of the 4 options is the best?

Owen824

Prominent Member
So bottom line is:

1. If I want just the 3 films without the extras and without the possible frame problem, get the new 2011 trilogy

2. If I want the 24bit audio get the US version of either the 2008 or the 2011 version

3. If I want the extras get the UK or US version from 2008 with the possibility of getting the frame problem

4. Scrap the US version of either 2008 or 2011 as I only have a region 2/B player, cos the 16bit vs the 24bit isn't really noticeable

Which one of the 4 options is the best?

I would say one unless you want the extras. 2 & 4 is out as you will only be able to watch the first two films. So it is down to whether you want the extras or not....

marcaaron22

Established Member
So say I'm not bothered bout the extras, I just go for the 2011 trilogy from HMV??
So you say I won't really be losing out on much on the the 16bit UK release?? (well nothing noticeable)??

I've narrowed it down now, so would you say just go for the UK 2011 version ?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
New trilogy was £15 at Sainsburys in store yesterday.

marcaaron22

Established Member
LV426 said:
New trilogy was £15 at Sainsburys in store yesterday.

I don't think my local Sainsburys sells blu rays or DVDs as it's only small, so the cheapest way would be to order from HMV cos if you add bus fares on top of the £15, it will come to just over £17, so think it's just as best to order online

Nexus43

Prominent Member
I have The 2008 version of the trilogy and have watched all films 2 -3 times, they are excellent looking Blu's and the 2008 version comes witha PCM 5.1 Uncompressed track which is superb, not sure of the specs for the updated trilogy.I never noticed any framing issues but I did only buy them this year in a deal.

Owen824

Prominent Member
I have The 2008 version of the trilogy and have watched all films 2 -3 times, they are excellent looking Blu's and the 2008 version comes witha PCM 5.1 Uncompressed track which is superb, not sure of the specs for the updated trilogy.I never noticed any framing issues but I did only buy them this year in a deal.

the new ones have that track as well. :smashin:

EDIT: I think there is a code in the blu ray bargains thread for a nice discount on new orders at sainsburys as well. so might still be able to get it for cheaper.

DOUBLE EDIT: they do not appear to stock the trilogy online only single versions at £16.99 apiece. making it £41 with 20% discount...:thumbsdow

Last edited:

marcaaron22

Established Member
I find myself edging more and more toward the 2008 version with the extras, mainly cos I also like watching the bloopers and outtakes from films too..

Can anyone suggest the best place to buy/ order the 2008 version from that is less likely to have the framing issue and also at a good/decent price??

Thanks,

marcaaron22

Established Member
Anyone?

mjn

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't bother with #2 or #3 full stop!!

They're awful!

marcaaron22

Established Member
I may have bought the 2008 trilogy edition off eBay for £26, is that a good buy?? (I say 'may have' cos I don't want to put bad luck on it before I get it, lol)

If I receive it and if it's the framing issue one, what is my next step??

Thanks,

I tried staying away from the 2008 edition but I didn't want to miss out on the bonus features

marcaaron22

Established Member
If it ends up being the frame issue, do I just get in touch with Disney and they'll send a replacement?

Steve McQueef

Distinguished Member
I got my replacement from Disney US of all places. Very prompt, well packaged.
Disney UK were still denying all knowledge at that point.

marcaaron22

Established Member
Is this the site I use to contact Disney if I get the frame issue on the disc from the 2008 trilogy edition?:

h**p://studio.go.com/cgi-bin/gmail/generic_mail.cgi?template=video/dvd_report_a_problem/report.tpl

(I have removed the live link just in case live links arn't allowed)

mentasm

Distinguished Member
Have you confirmed that in a double blind test with this particular release? On what equipment? It's all relative. A lot of people can't tell the difference between lossy and lossless, let alone 16/24-bit.

Owen824

Prominent Member
if thats reference to the difference between 16bit and 24bit audio, the difference is clearly noticeable

that is what i was referring to. Having heard both on my system, if you blindfolded me i would not have been able to tell the difference. Both sound fantastic on my setup but i would not be able to tell the difference between the bitrates.

marcaaron22

Established Member
Received my trilogy boxset on friday, watched curse of the black pearl and it's the frame issue version :(

What is my next step?

Thanks,

marcaaron22

Established Member
marcaaron22 said:
Received my trilogy boxset on friday, watched curse of the black pearl and it's the frame issue version :(

What is my next step?

Thanks,

What is my next step? How do I get an exchange for a corrected disc?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom