Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

E

Ewan

Hi!
Thinking about buying "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl " I heard it's pretty good. What's everyones view here about it? worth watching?

Great family (older children) romp/adventure, top three best films last year IMO. Brilliant performance by Johnny Depp, great film you can buy with confidence. :smashin:

Great film one of my favs from last year go buy :smashin:

Just to moderate the boundless enthusiasm that most seem to exhibit regarding this film, I got given it for Xmas and thought it was good but not as good as everyone else seems to think. Don't get me wrong, it's fun and enjoyable - I'm just unable to figure out why it is so well thought of when Cutthroat Island - which I like just as much - was slated.

_

Originally posted by Underscore
Don't get me wrong, it's fun and enjoyable

_

what more do you want? :)

I found it average at best... in fact I thought Johnny Depp was the only thing that saved it from being terrible.
I found it waaaaaay too long given the serious lack of story, but I'm also well aware I'm in the minority in thinking that it's not really much cop. My little brothers and sisters (all aged between 6 and 14) thought it was the nads though, so maybe I'm just an old grump:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Rambo John J
I found it average at best... in fact I thought Johnny Depp was the only thing that saved it from being terrible.
I found it waaaaaay too long given the serious lack of story, but I'm also well aware I'm in the minority in thinking that it's not really much cop. My little brothers and sisters (all aged between 6 and 14) thought it was the nads though, so maybe I'm just an old grump:rolleyes:

I agree: there was no f**kin need for a wafer-thin-plot bit of summer fluff like this to be over 2 hours long. I was fidgetting in the cinema and fell asleep during a second viewing on dvd.

Johnny Depp's the only watchable thing in it, and they ran out of funny lines to give him halfway thru the film, leaving him to just tic and practise his ministry of silly walks.

Waaay toooo long and pretty boring to boot, in my humble opinion. And is there a less personable piece of cardboard than Orlando Bloom? Jesus, the man's a walking cipher.

As always, I'm a predictable cynic in an ocean of opposition: I truly thought this was a tedious, unexciting bit of plastic cinema.

regards,
anephric

Worth seeing but whether worth "owning" I am not sure. Good at the right price, a few quid. May be worth hiring it. If you like it then great, buy it.

Originally posted by Underscore
thought it was good but not as good as everyone else seems to think. Don't get me wrong, it's fun and enjoyable - I'm just unable to figure out why it is so well thought of when Cutthroat Island - which I like just as much - was slated.

I couldn't agree more - I had the exact same thought. It seems to me that the press/critics overly criticsed Cuthroat Island, and over-enthused about POTC:COTBP :confused:

Went to the cinema to see this looking forward to a good old fashioned swashbuckling pirate movie. Johnny Depp was fun and Orlando Bloom (as eloquently noted above) did his best to impersonate a plank of wood.

The success of a movie like this was going to hinge on its action sequences. Oh dear. Lame and unimaginative in the extreme. But hey - loads of CGI!

Movies in this genre up to half-a-century old, such as "The Crimson Pirate", "Captain Blood" and "The Sea Hawk" put this to shame.

Another director could probably have made this a lot more interesting - it's the kind of thing Spielberg could do with his eyes shut and make it 100 times more involving.

Add to the above a cast of unengaging characters and you've got a movie as animated and emotionally involving as the theme park ride it's derived from.

If you have little ones they'll probably love it, other than that...

:thumbsdow

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom