Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pionner VSX-AX3-S versus H/K AVR-7500

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SirAdam00, Jan 10, 2004.

1. SirAdam00

SirAdam00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm in ending fase of purchasing a new receivier and here I need help from you guys. My choice is on the edge between the Pioneer AX3 or Harman Kardon 7500. I can get both for similar price.

Have you any positive or negative information about these which can help me in my decision?

I will use my new receiver at home for film and Hifi as well.
    and with Pioneer 810speakers.

Any advice or comments? :smashin:

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The 7500 will win no probs at all in sound quality terms. You can find the review here if you haven't already looked.
    There may be some features that the pioneer has that you would find useful, though, that the 7500 doesn't. THX processing, audio scaler, 7 channels of amplification for example. The 7500 does have an auto-setup routine. It isnt as advanced as the Pioneer, but then, neither is as good as an SPL meter and your ear for speaker setup. Getting down to brass tacs: you are comparing a £1200 receiver to a £650 amp and the most important thing is how it sounds. The 7500 will be a clear winner, here.

Russell

3. SirAdam00

SirAdam00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if THX processing is so important if you are not using 7 channels amplification. I have no experience of Audio Scaling what is that?
    In this case I'm just worry 7500 is are little "overkill" for my speakers set Pioneer S-V810. On the other hand I will use 2 extra fronts speakers S-H810V instead for sattelites.
    So there will be four maximum power floor standing speakers around. What do you think?

/AM

4. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I like THX processing a lot, whether five or seven channels of amplification are employed. I think THX lends the soundtrack a more homogeneous feel and makes a sound track more listenable. THX is explained more on their website, here . Having said that, I wouldn't choose to buy an amp purely on superfluous bells and whistles and will choose on sound quality alone. That's why I would choose the 7500 over the AX3; just because you may not have the best speakers in the world, doesn't mean that you should skimp on amplification! If nothing else, by opting for a better amp now, if you do decide to upgrade your speakers, the wherewithal will be installed to take advantage of those speakers.

5. SirAdam00

SirAdam00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must agree up to 100% with you according to sound quality before stupid effects.
    Do you know how the old serie such avr-7500, avr-8500 like you have :smashin: is performing in compare to new ones allready released in US avr-530, 630, 7200?
    By the way of all these new units only 7200 seems to be THX certified. Isn't strange?

/AM

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    The 7200 is the US equivalent of the 7500 over here. This receiver isn't THX certified, only the 8500 is.

I have no idea what the new US versions sound like, but they look fantastic!

The 8500 is still the best sounding AV amp I have heard. This isn't a sweeping statement, just my opinion (otherwise I'd have something different :) ). And yes I have demoed the AX10i and A1SR, though I have yet to hear the new Yamaha AZ9. The 7500 is a fair bit better than the old 5500, but whether this is still the case with the newer amps is another question.

Russell

7. SirAdam00

SirAdam00

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some resellers in US are specificating 7200 as 7.1 channel TXH Ultra reciever.
    Harman Kardon is not saying a word about THX on web site but on the other hand it seems like HK not care so mutch about this certification.
    Russell so back to basic question you think the AVR-7500 is an avr which is looking great, perform excellent sound and I will not reggret this purchasing? :)

Someone else with similar or different opinion?

Any sugestions reg dvd player? What do you think about HK dvd-30 player?

/AM