1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pionner VSX-909

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Orbital, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

Well I've just set up my new Pioneer VSX-909 amp and I think I'm going to have to have this grin surgically removed from my face :D Why haven't more people spoken up about this amp? Because it's an absolute cracker! I auditioned all the amps in my price range including the 3802 and the Marantz 7200 but there was just something about the Pioneer's enthusiastic sound delivery, which I liked. It's probably just a personal thing but something about it really floated my boat :) The way you can still pick out an underlying film score when there's mayhem and carnage on the screen is just terrific.

I'm still waiting for the outboard power amp (M10X) when this arrives I can delve into the realms of THX surround EX :D which I must admit I'm getting quite excited about! LoL! I will probably post a few questions when I get the M10X because I have slight problem with where to place the rear speakers but I'm sure you lot will be able to help me out with that.

And do you want to know what the best surprise was? Well after seeing the amp advertised around the net for between £600 to £875 I followed a link from a thread about finding the cheapest 3802 (thanks for that Jrwood)www.go2camcorder.co.uk After having a nose round the site I found they had the gold VSX-909 for £460!! (This was the point my grin started :D) I duly phoned them up to check that they had them in stock (a lot of people are advertising them with having them) and they said yes! (grin now confirmed :D ) Four day's later and here we are all set-up and waiting for that power amp :D

Cheers

Dave

2. stevenwilliams

stevenwilliams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 909 as well and I think it is an excellent amp.

I auditioned it against a Denon 3801 ad couldn't justify the extra price of the Denon. As far as I'm concerned the Pioneer Rocks..

For movies the Pioneer is better but for stereo the Denon gets it.

I would be interested to know what speakers you are running from it and what your source is. I have a set of Jamo's that are a little high on the drain side but the Pioneer handles them well. I also use a Pioneer 939a DVD Player.

As far as the M10X goes it is a great add-on for the amp but there are better ones out there. I found the M10X a little pricey for what you are getting and if you shop around you can do better for less. How much are you going to pay for the M10X?

BTW You had a hell of a good price for the Pioneer. I paid £700.:D

Steven

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    www.whathomecinema.com

3. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Steven,

My main speakers are Mission 773e's with the 77c1 centre and 77ds rears. The Missions are very easy to drive and they compliment the Pioneer quite well. My source is a HTPC as I use a Barco Data 800 CRT projector for viewing and it's really is the best way to get a top picture.

As far as the M10X goes PRC Direct are doing it for £189 but they haven't got any in stock at the moment. So I got mine from W.M.E.C. Online for £225.

It's good to hear from another 909 owner :D With any luck they may be a few more of us soon with the price coming down the way it is :cool:

Cheers

Dave

4. stevenwilliams

stevenwilliams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have a lot f kit in common.. I have the same amp, a Barco Graphics 800 and I used to have the same speakers..

I recently (1 year ago) upgraded the speakers to a set of mid end jamo's.. They are not as pure for music but they rock for movies and that is my main interest..

Come on all you 909 owners.. the Denon gang have had it there own way for to long..

steven
    ---------------------------------
    ww.whathomecinema.com