Pionner 868 - Recommendations

F

friend

Hi all.
I really want to upgrade my dvd player.
I recently own a Sony 7700 with a Infocus 7200 projector.
In my first choice was the denon a11 but it is a way to expensive.
So i thought of buying the 868 that has hdmi output until i read here that it has a chroma bug.
The same problem occurs in the Marantz 8400.
So i am very worried as i do not want to spend around 900 pounds to by smth tha has a picture problem.
What is your opinion? Is this problem noticable?
Should i postpone my purchase?
Do you have anything else to reccomend?

Thanks in advance for your help.:hiya:

I've seen the 868 and 668 on a 104inch screen via a Sim2 Link, and never noticed the chroma bug (via HDMI). Same with the 668. That's not to say it doesn't exist, just that I never saw it. Some players/displys can mask it IIRC.

Both give a great picture via HDMI, but the component obviously didn't look as good so there may be a better player for your money if that's going to be your preferred connection.

RTFM (Jeff) has both these players and is a Sim dealer, so drop him a PM and ask his opinion re the chroma bug - he might be able to check it out and let you know if it's an issue with them (provided he can drag himself away from his new 3 chipe DLP pj :) ).

Gary.

Gary thanks for your reply.
Initially, i am going to use the component and i will later move to dvi. But i think it is wise the player i will buy to have hdmi or dvi.
You have stated component didn't look to good ... compared to dvi or compared to the component picture you have seen with another dvd player? :suicide:
Additioanlly, do you remember if the picture menu of 868 has settings like gamma, contrast, brightness and this kind of stuff?

Do you have any other player to reccomend ?

The HDMI was a lot cleaner looking than the component, with less video noise. I believe the 668 is just a cut-down version of the 868, so probably has less menu options. RTFM will be the man to ask as he is more familiar with them.

I think that after seeing such a good picture, I felt that component was like looking at composite after seeing component. :)

It probably was very good picture compared to other component capable players, but after seeing the HDMI, it looked almost second rate. I use HTPC and DVI, and although I can't tell the difference between DVI and VGA from my seating position, I think digital has a definate advantage to analogue.

If you can get a HDMI to DVI adapter, and get the same image quality, then you might as well get one of the Pioneer players unless there is an issue with the HDMI to DVI adaption from the Pio to 7200.

Try the US forum www.avsforum.com and see if anyone there has an HDMI player (can't remember the US number for the 868 or 668) hooked up to the 7200. I think the Momitsu and Bravo DVI players are reasonably well known over there, so you might get a few more options. Try the search first though, and see what comes up.

I have heard that an SDI moded Panansonic Rp82 can produce an exceptional picture, though I've not seen it myself. I think 'Buns' is selling one so he might be worth talking to about it.

Gary.

You should already know if the Chroma bug is a problem for you; the Sony 7700 has it!
The 868 doesn't have a progressive chroma bug, only interlaced. It does have extensive picture adjustments, although the Gamma adjustment is a bit basic.

Thanks Steve,

So using HDMI means that the CUE isn't an issue. :)

Componenet might be a different story, but if you don't see it on your existing 7700, then you probably won't notice it on the 868/668s interlaced output.

Gary.

Thanks a lot for your replies.
I will purchase it next week.
Unfortunately, at the begining i will use only component output as in order to go to HDMI i have to find first a very good HDMI to DVI cable (10 meters length).
Monster dvi cable is only 6meters :-(

Gary i see in your profile that you are from Surrey.
I have done my Masters degree there :)

friend,

small world. :)

Try Lindy for DVI cables. I have a 7.5m cable, and it works fine. See if they do a 10m cable and adapters.

Gary.

I'm hoping to get a chance to see the 868 in action again soon, so I'll let you know if I can see it in real terms.

Gary.

Unfortunately 868 has a croma bug also in progressive

Only if the disc is badly coded with an incorrect alternating 3, 2 progressive flag. So on most discs CUE is not an issue with progressive output. I can confirm this from personal experience.

So using HDMI means that the CUE isn't an issue

Well HDMI is still downstream from the MPEG decoder so only if HDMI is set to progressive. I'm surmising this as I can't confirm.
I don't have a HDMI display:(

I use PowerDVD 5 via HTPC onto my projector, and hometheaterhifi say that it has the CUE as well, but I used Toy Story 2s opening logo as an example that shows it, and I can't see any evidence of it at all. I'm using DVI (progressive) so maybe that's the reason?

I'll have to try it via interlaced component as well and see what it's like.

Gary.

You might want to take a look at Arcam's new DV79 player with HDMI that will be in the shops in about 3 weeks. I was originally going to buy the 868 but was put off by the CD sound quality. Now plan to auditon the Arcam. Same price as 868. Outstanding first review for both picture and sound in current issue HiFi News.

Originally posted by SL Boy
You might want to take a look at Arcam's new DV79 player with HDMI that will be in the shops in about 3 weeks. I was originally going to buy the 868 but was put off by the CD sound quality. Now plan to auditon the Arcam. Same price as 868. Outstanding first review for both picture and sound in current issue HiFi News.

Second that.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom