Pioneers separates vs one box harmon kardon

Boothy12

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am after a good 5.1 set up to go with my new panasonic GT50 plasma sadly space is an issue due to the wife's choice in TV unit and I have been warned about speaker size. :rolleyes:
I seem to of whittled things down to the harmon kardon BDS 770 which I have found for £699 online. This seems to be a nice system but my only worries are you are you have to junk the lot if there is a format change. Thinking all of those expensive bose DVD systems...
So I have spotted the pioneer vsxs300 slimline reciever, pioneer bdp 150 bluray player and the cambridge audio minx speakers. I am looking at the minx as I like the size and style of the Bose AM 6 but have been put off by the mass of bad feed back online.
That lot weighs in at about £800 if I were to buy the lot at richer sounds, I have also seen the lusso as a cheaper option but there is very little online about them.
There are also some nice tannoys with five star ratings but sadly I think they are too big to get past the wife...

So I suppose the question is how would the separates stack up against a one box like the harmon kardon? And are there any other suggestions as to how best spend that sort of cash?

Cheers

Andy

Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the format change you're referring to;) - some new type of BR disc?
That's not likely but I'd go for a separate BR player anyway.
There are any number of AVRs you could link that up to, and as many sets of speakers.
A good look around RS site should find you plenty of choice within your price range.

What's the format change you're referring to;) - some new type of BR disc?
That's not likely but I'd go for a separate BR player anyway.
There are any number of AVRs you could link that up to, and as many sets of speakers.
A good look around RS site should find you plenty of choice within your price range.

Hello, thanks for the reply :)
Yes I was thinking about a new type of Bluray really, maybe I'm getting old but DVD's did not seem to be around that long lol.
So would the performance be better? I think I have made up my mind on the pioneer bits as I can match up the reciever and bluray, and the reciever has the option of blutooth streaming. Unless the Marantz slimline reciever wiould be significantly better?
Now its just finding a nice small speaker package... :D

That's right, DVDs didn't have the monopoly for long though they're still going, then came HDDs which didn't last and are not around, but BR seems to be pretty stable and more than adequate for most people.
As I said my choice would be BR player, AVR, and 5:1 or 7:1 speakers, as separate units, and there really is an enormous choice of them all.
For the price of the HK Home Theatre you'd still have a wide choice.
What Marantz were you looking at?

I was looking at the Marantz NR1403, Its probably slightly better than the pioneer looking at the speaker terminals on the rear of both units but the pioneer is slightly slimmer and I needed it as slim as possible due to the tv unit.
Hopefully I will be ok with the pioneer coupled with the pioneer blue ray, so now its just a case of getting some speakers sorted.
Ideally I need something the size of the Bose am6 or Cambridge audio minx, there does not seem to be much out there though :(

They're slimmer, but not a lot slimmer than any ordinary AVR.
What difference is there in the speaker terminals?:confused:

The marantz has the chunky screw in type terminals and the pioneer has the skinny spring loaded type usually found on cheaper end gear.
I could be wrong as I am out of touch but I am just thinking back to my old hifi days, regretting ever selling my old NAD set up and AE floor standers... It all went when I got married :(
I have worked out that with the pioneer vsxs300 and bpd150 stacked they will fit snugly in the space in my tv unit along side my sky hd box, the marantz is 10mm or so too high and a standard receiver is too tall to fit even without the bluray player :(

Yes, it seems the Pioneer has normal terminals for the fronts, and spring types for the rest.
That's surprising for quite a well-specced machine, but it wouldn't matter much.
I get the point about the size but wouldn't want any amp stacked at all - they need full ventilation.
The same applies to Sky machines.

Thats a good point re stacking, I'll put the amp on its own and sit the sky box on top of the bluray player, there would be plenty of venting for both then.

Any ideas on speakers?

That's the way my AVR, Sky, and player are arranged.:thumbsup:
It's ages since I bought speakers, but there's plenty of choice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom