Pioneer's new PDP range - FIRST INFO!!!

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know whether this has been mentioned, but here is the press release from Pioneer Japan.

The luminance in a dark area is reduced to about one fourth that of the previous models. Thanks to it, the contrast ratio in a dark area is increased. The 50-inch PDP-506HD achieves a 4000:1 contrast ratio in a dark area (the highest in the industry*2). Blacker blacks make images more vivid, giving them a sense of reality and depth. Blacker blacks and details of dark areas often found in movie scenes are well reproduced, so users can enjoy the excitement and true-to-life reproduction of motion pictures.

At last, Pioneer have actually realised that you need blacks to get any depth in an image, looking good.
I hope you can feed native resolution into these screens.
The design, the single wire to screen is perfect, now if they have got the image right too then I am seriously tempted with the 50".

£3800 in Japan for the 50" and £3100 for the 43".
In Japan the 435 and 505 were nearly a grand cheaper than here when released so I hope that isn't still the case this time round.

smultron said:

目を見はる大画面でリビングを楽しさや驚きに満ちたエンタテインメント空間に変える50V型“ピュアビジョン”。「P.U.R.E. Black Panel」や「P.U.R.E. Drive II 」など、パイオニア独自の革新的な高画質プラズマ技術により、思わず息をのむリアルな映像美を迫力の大画面で再現。さらに画面周辺のフレーム幅を可能な限り細くし、大画面を際立たせたスタイリッシュなデザインは、リビングのインテリアと美しく調和しながらも、ひときわ存在感を放ちます。

I think that is what we have all been waiting for! ;)

Only one HDMI port but ... very interesting... it's got a Ethernet port... wonder what that's for? Streaming direct from a PC? :clap:

Jimbo73 said:
Only one HDMI port but ... very interesting... it's got a Ethernet port... wonder what that's for? Streaming direct from a PC? :clap:

Don't the japanese have 10mb broadband?

Does it not read 2 hdmi inputs on the xde model.
cant see a reference to ethernet though,probably will have and so will all new av equipment for future networking.

Looks like a rj11 connection also.

Not for the Euro market so ours will differ.

sorry to ask such an elemental question, but could someone explain the differences between the FDE, XDE and HDE models on the current 435? thanks.

gettingthefear said:
sorry to ask such an elemental question, but could someone explain the differences between the FDE, XDE and HDE models on the current 435? thanks.

Do a search for "difference XDE FDE" on the Forum and all your questions will ne answered.

smultron said:
Do a search for "difference XDE FDE" on the Forum and all your questions will ne answered.

thanks. sorted, i think. now has anyone heard of any problems of quality control on the XDE? i read a french report that suggested that one XDE may be a belter but the next off the production line could be a lemon. i don't fancy taking three or four tvs back to the shop before eventually getting a good'un.

if they only made a 37" as well.... :(

anyway, looking at the rear panel pic, I've noticed there're no components inputs, weird.

There are two component inputs on the rear, they are using the Japanese D-Terminal connector though, same thing different connector.

FDE has a media box and an analogue tuner.
XDE has a media box and a digital tuner, and some say a better picture.
HDE is just a display, but it has the most potential for the best picture.

Nick

BigGanja said:
if they only made a 37" as well.... :(

I agree (having been told I can't have a 42", which naturally excludes a 43" too!)

Andy, I take it your little size problem is due to 'er indoors, if we may put it like that? You need to get a sheet of cardboard, paint it to look like the plasma of your choice, life size, and blu tack it to the wall. They shrink magically on a wall mount, truly. On the other hand, you can still impress your mates with a 37, and all for £900 at RS I see from further down the board. The Pioneer is one of the more minimalist TV plasmas, having no speakers as standard. Separating the sound from the screen usually looks better and keeps the size down to something reasonable. Small 'designer' speakers, like www.anthonygallo.co.uk and a surround amp is the way to go for this, and much better sounding too.

Hi MAW,

I appreciate your concern! Yes, we've just upgraded house and alas while the overall space is huge, the actual living area is slightly restricted. And worse, the shape / layout doesn't quite lend itself to wall mounting!

And in her words "37" is bigger than the current 32" set" :)

So I'll continue to wait for the new range of Panny monitor plasmas - like you suggest, I definately don't want / need screen speakers that will never be used.

Have you guys ever seen a women reverse - no concept of distance!!! Just get the 43" and tell her it's a 37"!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom