1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer737/HT200 problem...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dc007, Jan 22, 2001.

1. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Getting a great component input picture from the above combo, but when I switch both units to prog scan mode I'm getting thin white lines appearing at the very top of the screen only. Rest of the picture is fine (stunning, in fact), but the lines, which are constant, are very offputting.

Anybody have any thoughts ??

2. Alan Roser

Alan Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your positive comments about our projector - I am glad you like it.

Concerning the white lines at the very top of the frame, I can confirm that we too have seen theses lines and acknowledge that they are Macrovision related. I have asked SIM2 to investigate and to respond as soon as possible.

If you have any further queries please feel free to contact me directly at Owl.

Kind regards

Alan Roser
    Technical Director
    Owl Video Systems Ltd

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    Ouch. IS it possible to upgrade the HT200, Alan?
    I assume it's a software upgrade needed to fix the issue?
    DC, ignoring the white lines for a moment - the component signal is going through the line doubler, yes? And the progressive signal is not, right?
    So how do they compare in terms of image quality.

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 22-01-2001).]

4. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have to confess, at the moment I've only watched a couple of movies, both through component without prog scan - the little white lines put me off using it. Upon studying still images, an untrained eye such as mine is unable to see a significant difference - I guess moving images are required to see the benefit !

There are so many potential tweaks to both projector and dvd player, I believe it'll be a few weeks before things are optimised - but I am very, very satisfied with images on a regular component feed. Having said that, you pay six grand, you wanna use all the toys...!

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    DC007,
    I take it your 737 has not been multi-regioned and Macro disabled?
    Ta
    Paul

6. Alan Roser

Alan Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DC & Spectre,

We have done a check again here at our workshops and we can clear the lines simply by entering the position menu and shifting up the image by one press of the up button. The projector will then remember this setting for future discs.
    We are using a Toshiba SD900 with a selection of Region 1 titles and once this adjustment is made then they will never appear on other discs.

It will be interesting to note your opinions between the Progressive Scan Player and the internal doubler.

One further point concerning Progressive scan players - at present they will only output 480p which means NTSC only discs can be played either R1 or R2(japan). There are no 576p (PAL) currently available unless you invest in a modified player from the likes of MSB in the US. We have had a number of customers complaining about the performance of their projector (not just 200HT's) where this simply was down to PAL software being used instead of NTSC.
    It appears a number of retailers are not aware of this and giving out wrong information to customers.

Regards

Alan Roser
    Owl Video Systems Ltd

7. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I guess the big question is, how long before they pull their fingers out and come to some agreement so that we can start getting PAL progressive ? Anyone know the projected time frame ?

With the rush of cheap (relatively !!)new progressive models scheduled for release in the USA over the next couple of months, it would be a crime for us to miss out over here.

I suppose we are getting a basic "progressive" output for PAL via the HT200`S internal Doubler , but .....

PAULB - I guess it must be multi region, otherwise he wouldn`t be able to play NTSC - as Alan said, the only progressive source currently available.

Alan - did you to the CES in Vegas ?, I was curious if you had the opportunity to see the HT250/HT200 /Panamorph combination.I would value your thoughts (Sorry if this is off topic now)

Thanks

8. Ludae

Ludae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When asked by the DVD Forum for 480p MacroVision copy protection, MacroVision spent about 2 months to finish the system. Then the DVD Forum took 7 months to agree to use it. I would guess MacroVision wouldn't take long to do the PAL 576p version if asked but then the DVD Forum would still probably take another 7 months again to decide it's ok!

I have heard that the DVD Forum want all outputs on consumer DVD video products to have copy protection, that includes VGA, DVI, IEEE1394, RGB, YUV etc. That is why Philips had to postpone the introduction of their progressive DVD player which had a VGA output and YUV progressive 480p & 576p.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The progressive output of the dvd player is 480P. The native panel resolution is 800 x 600, so the scaler in the HT200 will have to re-scale to the 600P resolution, even although the DVD player is de-interlacing.

It would seem the lines are being caused by teh scaling. AFAIA the scaling is software upgradeable by download.

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

10. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    PaulB - the 737 is multiregioned (ie, insert and play, nothing further to do). Don't think the macro is disabled.

11. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    DC007,
    I'm surprised its not macro disabled! I had a very similar problem a couple of years ago when macrovision caused problems with my Panny 36" tele. Now i always make sure that macro is disabled to avoid problems like this. Like I said I'm surprised you picked up a player that didn't have it disabled, especially as its multi-region.

In this case a simple fix was available but I'm sure you'll agree it could have been a showstopper! A small but perhaps crucial point to remember when you next upgrade maybe ;¬)

All the best with your new set up!

PS - the 200HT's 4:3 display was a showstopper for me and I'm quite happy with my Sony 10 LCD, BUT, when SIM2 finally produce their 2xxHT range with a short throw lens and a 16:9 panel I'll be sick as the proverbial parrot!
    Paul