1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer520H Vs Toshiba32x

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gazza30, Sep 17, 2004.

1. gazza30

gazza30

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thought I had pretty much made up my mind to go for the Tosh32 based on the good reviews I had been reading here. However, I'm now wondering whether to go for the Pioneer after all as nobody seems to have the Tosh in stock and there have recently been one or two dodgy reviews about it, eg. poor sound, unrecognised discs, more features than you really need making it too complex (I'm not very technically minded, as you have probably gathered). I have read through all of the reviews on this forum and although there is heaps of good stuff on the Toshiba, there doesn't seem to be much on the Pioneer. Has anyone had experience of using both machines. Could somebody briefly list the pros and cons of each - what does the Toshiba do that the Pioneer doesn't, and vice-versa. The most important things to me are good quality sound/video on recording and playback and basic editing, eg. deleting unwanted camcorder segments. Many thanks.

2. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have a look at these threads:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?.../forums/showthread.php?t=147428&highlight=420

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?...forums/showthread.php?t=146337&highlight=720h

All the Pioneer x20 series are the same except for HD size and presence of DVI and have a common manual.

The Toshiba manuals (there are 3 for the '32) are available at http://www.kokorolab.com/TOSH/tosh.html

The Pioneer manual is at http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/support_manuals.jsp?category=support/manuals
    Cllick the European Manual Databas link then search for 520

3. markie

markie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've tried both, and I much prefer the pioneer - much easier to use for the everyday user, better remote control, better menus, etc. I know a lot of people like the Tosh on here, but I'd recommend the pioneer any day. I haven't regretted at all swapping the tosh I had for a pioneer 420.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have the Pioneer 420 and decided on it after looking at the (downloaded) manuals. You might bear in mind that the Tosh has 3 manuals - Operate at 173 pages plus Install and Quick reference, whereas the Pioneer has one at 128 pages. Ease of use for mainly non-technical users has to be Pioneer from my reading of these. For camcorder transfers choose the 80GB 520 or the 160GB 720 both with DVI, even if your current camcorder isn't digital. The 80GB 420 doesn't have DVI.

The menu system is as near foolproof as I've seen on various video products and editing on the HDD is a breeze.
    The main edit functions for tidying up recordings are:

1. Divide - to get rid of unwanted start and finish sequences. You divide the recording and then erase the unwanted end bits.

2. Erase Section - to get rid of unwanted segments. You identify Start and End points by time and/or reviewing the recording, then confirm the erase. You get a chapter mark at the 'join' which you can delete if you want.

In both cases you can use frame-by-frame positioning forwards or reverse for accuracy.

There are certain rules about when you can and cannot insert 'customised' chapter marks, but these apply to all makes.

Sound and video seem good quality. I record off-air mostly from a Freeview STB which has only composite video available for recording (its RGB is used for the TV), and play back from the 420 in s-video (I've used the TV's RGB in for the STB).

Feeding a split-screen TV from the 420 tuner and a Sony VCR tuner shows the 420 being slightly brighter and sharper with better colour definition.

A simultaneous recording on the VCR (SP) and the 420 (LP) and then played back side by side on the TV shows the 420 much better - but I'd expect that with a VHS VCR.

There aren't many comments on Pioneers here, whereas there are quite a lot of questions about the Toshiba and Panasonics. That could suggest the owners find them easy to set up and use.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    That's because there are less Pioneer owners here. Those who want powerful authoring features tend to go for the Toshiba, those who want best recording quality and ease-of-use go for the Panasonics.

6. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have to say that the Pioneer ease-of-use is spot on. i bought the 720H last week as part of a new HC kit and it took my wife couple of hours before she could record a video from a DV cam on it's 160gb HDD.

Unfortunately I had to return it as it couldn't be connected as I wanted it (along with a VCR and Sky+ onto the same input) , but I might be getting it again when I'll figure this out , or when I'll give up the VCR (currently setting it to record on the PC).

7. Bob Todd

Bob Todd
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +373
    tosh 32 all the way, didnt find the manual hard to understand,
    thats because i still aint read it.
    yet i can do everything i want smply and quickly via the menu system....go figure

8. Bob H2

Bob H2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba XS32 and have little knowledge of the Panasonics. I have some trouble with the better quality of the Panasonic. Quality is determined usually by the bit rate and the MPEG2 decoder. However MPEG2 is MPEG2 and has to be read by any player subject to the MPEG2 rules.

My quality at 4.6 is as good as DVD quality and at 2.2 far better than VHS quality. The Panasonic would really have to be good to surpass the Toshiba.

9. drjoshua

drjoshua

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eddyad and more:
    Don´t call it DVI when you mean DV Input. Big difference you know! The optimal device has, among many more things, a DVI output for a projector.

10. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    Having owned both machines (changed to Pioneer 420 following the Tosh X32 drive being picky with self made recordings), I'd have to say that both are excellent. Tosh has the more flexible editing features (and progressive scan if that matters to you), wider format support (includes DVD-Ram as VR format, but, unlike JVCs handles DVD-RW only in Video mode) but the Pioneer has, imho, slightly better recording quality, if only because of the picture input tweaks that can be performed. The difference is marginal, though, and the Tosh is a more complete solution in many ways.

I'm very happy with the Pioneer though.

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Bob H2,

Recording quality is determined by the bitrate and the resolution (and numerous other hardware issues). When recording onto/dubbing to DVD-R at over 2hrs 20mins on the Toshiba then the resolution will be half that of the Panasonic (which can record upto 3 hours at full resolution). All in all the Panasonic range has superior MPEG encoders hence this longer recording at full resolution and the better PQ. Upto the resolution drop on the Toshiba the differences is minimal - but it is still there.

12. loreweb

loreweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone knows if on tosh xs32 is it possible to record on dvd a program from antenna and simultaneously on hdd a program from AV2???
    I have two different input and two different media, so........
    thanks. ciao

loreweb

13. marah

marah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doubt it m8 this would require 2 encoders most recorders have 1 encoder and 1 decoder hence the ability to record and play at the same time.